Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 12-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #11

Screen brightness

Since the Solera always has the headlights on when running the display thinks it is night time. You can manually override this on the screen to make it brighter but this has to be done every time you start the engine. You can disconnect the wire so it does not see the headlight on signal so the display is always bright, but may have to be dimmed during night time driving. This is what I have done since we do not travel at night as much.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #12

On the radio screen in the upper left corner (facing the unit) you should see either a symbol of a moon or a sun. If the moon is displayed, touch it and the screen will go to day time mode. If the sun is displayed, touching it will switch to night time mode. On the "Home" screen you have the same symbols on the lower left corner of the screen next to the time. You can also increase the brightness setting on the system setup. Hope this helps some of you.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #13

13larry, I posted the software info on your profile comments.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #14

I knew about that symbol and even called magnadyne and they walked me thru a program change (a code to disable the headlight thing)
It really needs to be sunk deeper into the dash because a lot of light pours in from that windshield
Thanks for your help
I do like the unit overall, was replaced once but working fine
Better than the cheap am/fm cd that other units had when we were shopping
Old 12-30-2013, 06:26 AM   #15

I am satisfied with the Magnadyne. Had to have the first one replaced because of iPod interface problems and had software update to fix map resets. Since then I have been very satisfied. Time doesn't stay set right but that is no big deal. We listen to XM radio mostly and use GPS all the time. Haven't compared it to other units because I have no need or desire to replace it. The learning curve is steep but worth the effort to understand all the features.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #16

Had mine a year. Maybe slow learner.
#1 on list this year is replace.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #17

Taking a look at these threads and one thing seems to stand out, a lot of people have had problems of one sort or another with the Magnadynes. Either software updates or replacing the units all together. Now I can see a company having problems with a few of their products but when your having this many people having problem maybe it's time to take a hard look at the product.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #18

I couldn't agree more. One doesn't find continual quality issues with major brands such as Kenwood, Sony etc. Based on all the problems mentioned previously if I have any issues after the bad GPS antenna is replaced I am pulling the unit and will take my lumps and put in something else. It's not worth the aggravation. Our R is less than a month old and I'm not going to be mad every time I try to use the a/v/GPS etc. BTW JVC makes a nice unit. You don't have to spend a fortune. Best Buy will install it if need be. Frankly I'd never heard of Magnadyne. Good customer service doesn't make up for poor quality.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Other than myself, how many satisfied Magnadyne M4-LCD users out there?

I read the forum and called magnadyne before I flew out to pick up my unit. I was sent the updates and given instructions by mangadyne technician.
The day I picked up my unit, I removed the radio, updated the software and cut the wire that dims the screen. I have not had a bit of problem with my unit. I find it to be very reliable. Also installed satellite radio at the same time.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #20

We just finished our first trip, (3400 miles) and I found that the Magnadyne unit worked generally well. There are a few things I don't like, but the interface is fairly intuitive. I have almost always used two separate GPS units when travelling as I find that they all have their strong points along with their weak points. My other unit is a TomTom and it gives dead accurate ETAs and generally better routing. TomTom collects data from its users during updates about actual traffic speeds and uses this info to find the fastest route.

I really like that the Magnadyne gives you two instructions on the screen instead of just one. I also like the overview which helps me to see ahead on roads that I am not familiar with. I do wish that it was possible to run the GPS alone without selecting an audio source. It would also be nice to have text to speech making it less necessary to look at the screen to get the street names.

Mike