Old 08-07-2015, 02:25 PM   #11

If you got the upgraded air,the diesel generator won't run it,or at least when we bought ours in 2012. My understanding was you needed the standard non ducted air for diesel gen to run air.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 08-07-2015, 02:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStaehlin View Post
Thanks to everyone's great thoughts and assistance - you guys are great and really appreciate all the help!!!!!

I did find the second switch for the power antenna, and the A/C runs much quieter by having the air flow through the vents -Thank You!

I do have a follow up question on the Generator.
I paid for the upgrade for the diesel generator 3200 watts, and I turned off the refrig and water pump and started up the generator and waited for five minutes and then turn on the fan first and then the A/C to low - as soon as switch on the A/C the generator kick off.

Did I make a bad decision on going with the diesel generator?
Make sure switch is off for electric water heater on control panel.

(Sold the Vibe 6506)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:08 PM   #13

In reference to your generator question. The diesel generator is on 3200 watts and will not run both AC and Microwave at same time. The propane generator is 4000 watts and will run both at same time. Trade off is run time is longer w/diesel than propane. However, most people carry extra propane to compensate when dry camping. Hope that helps.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:19 PM   #14

LP genset is 3600 watts, actually and is required for the 15000 BTU AC unit

(Sold the Vibe 6506)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #15

I'm getting my Sunseeker (they won't make me a Solera as they are phasing them out :-( though I tried). Glad you got one and mine is nearly identical, also ordered from RV One Direct so glad to hear they were good to work with. I get mine mid Sep to Oct I think, so am excited to hear from others with the same unit. I too hope I didn't make a mistake going with the diesel generator - they would not offer the larger air conditioner as a result - as commented here - it is 3200 v. the 3600 w/propane - so less powerful. I have two cats that will travel with me and hope I can leave the air on if necessary for them. Congrats on you maiden voyage!!!
Old 08-07-2015, 07:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Did I make a bad decision on going with the diesel generator?
No, I don't think so. When using either generator you will need to carefully manage what is on when...

The difference in generator outputs is only 400 Watts or ~3.5 Amps. The LP gen set won't run everything at once either. Neither will shore power for that matter! So no matter which gen set you chose you'll need to manage your load.

Either choice involves a trade off. By going with the QD3200 you avoid the LP capacity driven short run time concern of the LP generator. But you have 400W less power... Hmm, I'll stick with the QD3200 for my needs...

RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #17

Regarding maiden trip in 24R Solera

I purchased a 24R Forester mbs with diesel genset. I have actually had 2.
The AC would not run on diesel generator on both units. The factory in Elkhart, Indiana could not get it to run either so they replaced the Dometic 13.5K ac unit with an Atwood 13.5K ac unit.
The Atwood unit runs beautifully and I have never had a problem running it on generator. It has a lower initial power drawer than the Dometic and also has a nice handheld remote feature. I live in the southwest and have dry camped in 105 to 110 degree temps with no problem running off my diesel generator.
I hope this helps. I love my 24R. I have put over 10K miles on it in under 5 months.
Now if only someone could tell me where the fresh water tank drain plug is?
Fox 🐺
Old 08-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #18

Nicktano,

Did the FR charge you for the Atwood A/C unit?

I have now turned off everything in the rig and the diesel generator still shuts down when I turn on the A/C
Old 08-07-2015, 11:12 PM   #19

Now if only someone could tell me where the fresh water tank drain plug is?
Fox 🐺[/QUOTE]
Drain is a valve in the water pump access compartment. Open the black door and you will see a hose that runs out the bottom of the compartment. In that hose is a small valve with a lever that needs to be aligned with the hose to open and drain the tank. It is 1/2 inch hose and will take a while to drain a full tank. Don"t confuse drain line with winterizing line.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:33 AM   #20
2012 Solera

AC on generator

Quote:
Nicktano,

Did the FR charge you for the Atwood A/C unit?

I have now turned off everything in the rig and the diesel generator still shuts down when I turn on the A/C
Really surprised the AC won't run with "everything" turned off. I can run my Dometic 13.5 K BTU AC on our propane generator with both the fridge and the water heater operating on 110volts. Seems like those two items would more than equal the power difference in the generators.
Thoughts - try turning off all the circuit breakers except the AC breaker and see if the AC will run on generator. Maybe something you believe is turned off is still pulling significant power. If the AC will run in that condition, try turning on the breakers one at a time to try to isolate the offending circuit/device.
Believe there are "hard start" kits for the AC units that help reduce startup current surge for generator use. Such a kit might be an alternative to the above suggested AC replacement. E.g.: http://www.amazon.com/Dometic-C-Moto...hard+start+kit
Note Amazon post says to contact vendor to ensure the correct kit for the specific AirCon unit.

{Edited above to correct terminology to "hard start" and to add the Amazon link.}

Good luck!

JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solera