Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #1

Maiden trip in 24R Solera

We pick up our brand new 24R Solera last Thursday put 1,000 miles on our first trip. The following is our comments:

1. We love the RV and it exceeded all our expectations
2. We had a very positive experience with RV One Direct on the start up/training walk - we found a few minor items and they corrected everything in a few hours.
3. The AC was really loud - does anyone have a similar experiences
4. The AC will not work unless you are hooked up to power at a camp site, so it will not run on the generator or batteries - is this correct?
5. The power antenna worked at our walk thru with the dealer but did not power up when we tried in on our way back.
6. I looked for the second year warranty application and it was not in the RV - Called FR and found out they do not offer a second year warranty for the Solera - is this correct?

Again we are very happy with the Solera and look forward to many years of enjoyment.
DStaehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #2

First trip

Congrats wish we could say that we don't get ours until mid sept I hope 24s
Petersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
Citrus County, Fl.

Only towables have 2nd year warranty available but a lot of items have 2 years and/or an option to purchase an extended warranty (Dometic 12cu ft fridge)
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
2012 Solera

The AirCon and the microwave need 110 volt AC to be used - either shore power or generator. AirCon should run on generator, but not with other "high power" 110 volt items. Particular high power items to pay attention to are the water heater (you can turn off the 110 volt and use with propane) and the microwave (just don't use it while using AirCon). Other "moderate" 110 volt power users are the refrigerator (can switch to propane) and the converter, if the 12 volt batteries are low or if a lot of 12 volt items in use. I find I can use the AirCon (even with the microwave) on generator as long as I keep the water heater off or on propane - I have the propane generator (3600 watts vs 3200 watts for the diesel generator) and the 13500 btu AirCon. Suspect may be more of an issue with the smaller diesel generator and/or the larger 15000 btu AirCon.

As for AirCon noise, somewhat loud. Be sure your AirCon is flowing through the ceiling vents rather than dumping direct (direct dump does cool faster, but is louder). You could also experiment with fan settings - on the thermostat select "fan", then use the "+" and "-" keys to select among Hi, Lo and auto. Most of us use "auto" - the fan will be fast to cool more quickly when needed, will slow down as the temp in the MH approaches set point, and will turn off when the AirCon reaches set point and cycles off. Set on Lo the fan will run continuously at a slower (quieter than Hi) speed. You may find this less objectionable noise- wise.
Good Luck and enjoy!
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStaehlin View Post
We pick up our brand new 24R Solera last Thursday put 1,000 miles on our first trip. The following is our comments:

1. We love the RV and it exceeded all our expectations
2. We had a very positive experience with RV One Direct on the start up/training walk - we found a few minor items and they corrected everything in a few hours.
3. The AC was really loud - does anyone have a similar experiences
4. The AC will not work unless you are hooked up to power at a camp site, so it will not run on the generator or batteries - is this correct?
5. The power antenna worked at our walk thru with the dealer but did not power up when we tried in on our way back.
6. I looked for the second year warranty application and it was not in the RV - Called FR and found out they do not offer a second year warranty for the Solera - is this correct?

Again we are very happy with the Solera and look forward to many years of enjoyment.
3. If vents on AC main grill in kitchen are closed, it is not as loud. It will send more AC to ducts. Also, if you switch the fan setting to low on the thermostat, that will reduce noise. We do that at night.

4. The AC works great on the genset. Generator will need to be running for 30 seconds or so before AC will kick on. Will not run on battery.

5. TV Ant has two power switches. One on the TV wall plate in the cabinet and one on the right side of the antenna dial on ceiling. We keep the one on the Ant on and use the one on the base plate as on/off.

6. Correct. Extended warranty is available from dealer or folks like Good Sam.

Enjoy the new rig!

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #6

JLeising has great comments, expanding on the AC operation, above.

He can also speak of how the extended warranty helped him recently.

I have the same warranty and am quite glad I do.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #7

If your Microwave panel lights are on with the Gen running you are getting 110 AC volts and the Air Cond should work. If the panel lights are off you may need to reset the CB on the Genset. The reset is under the Genset cover near the local start switch, on the side.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #8

1. That's wonderful. I found several things for my punch list on my unit, some of them blatantly obvious that should have never occurred or should have been corrected by the factory or the dealer before I ever saw the unit.
2. I'm glad you had a good experience with RV One Direct. My experience with them in Buffalo was not that good. They are nice people, but I did not like their process. They clearly did not do what they claimed they do on a PDI or my punch list would have been much smaller.
3. Our AC sounds like those all in one units in some hotels/motels. I don't know if it got quieter or if we just got used to it, but it's not bothersome.
4. AC should work on the generator. It takes a little while for the system to recognize generator power, then the AC unit takes a moment or two to start the fan, then the compressor.
5. There are two buttons required to turn on your TV antenna. One is in the cabinet on the cable outlet box, the other is on the ceiling where you adjust the antenna. The one in the cabinet is almost invisible. When it is on, you will see a little green light on the cover plate.
6. There is no second year warranty option on the Solera.

I am glad that you are happy with your Solera. My wife loved ours from the start. I am loving it, too, now that I have addressed all of the items on my punch list. Everything works as it should and it is fun to drive and nice to enjoy on the road and at our destinations. Getting there really is half the fun.
halbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #9

i run generator for about 2 min and then turn on the a/c unit
locogk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:13 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone's great thoughts and assistance - you guys are great and really appreciate all the help!!!!!

I did find the second switch for the power antenna, and the A/C runs much quieter by having the air flow through the vents -Thank You!

I do have a follow up question on the Generator.
I paid for the upgrade for the diesel generator 3200 watts, and I turned off the refrig and water pump and started up the generator and waited for five minutes and then turn on the fan first and then the A/C to low - as soon as switch on the A/C the generator kick off.

Did I make a bad decision on going with the diesel generator?
Old 08-07-2015, 01:25 PM   #11

If you got the upgraded air,the diesel generator won't run it,or at least when we bought ours in 2012. My understanding was you needed the standard non ducted air for diesel gen to run air.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks to everyone's great thoughts and assistance - you guys are great and really appreciate all the help!!!!!

I did find the second switch for the power antenna, and the A/C runs much quieter by having the air flow through the vents -Thank You!

I do have a follow up question on the Generator.
I paid for the upgrade for the diesel generator 3200 watts, and I turned off the refrig and water pump and started up the generator and waited for five minutes and then turn on the fan first and then the A/C to low - as soon as switch on the A/C the generator kick off.

Make sure switch is off for electric water heater on control panel.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #13

In reference to your generator question. The diesel generator is on 3200 watts and will not run both AC and Microwave at same time. The propane generator is 4000 watts and will run both at same time. Trade off is run time is longer w/diesel than propane. However, most people carry extra propane to compensate when dry camping. Hope that helps.
jlewis3323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #14

LP genset is 3600 watts, actually and is required for the 15000 BTU AC unit

Old 08-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #15

I'm getting my Sunseeker (they won't make me a Solera as they are phasing them out :-( though I tried). Glad you got one and mine is nearly identical, also ordered from RV One Direct so glad to hear they were good to work with. I get mine mid Sep to Oct I think, so am excited to hear from others with the same unit. I too hope I didn't make a mistake going with the diesel generator - they would not offer the larger air conditioner as a result - as commented here - it is 3200 v. the 3600 w/propane - so less powerful. I have two cats that will travel with me and hope I can leave the air on if necessary for them. Congrats on you maiden voyage!!!
hifromkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:50 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
No, I don't think so. When using either generator you will need to carefully manage what is on when...

The difference in generator outputs is only 400 Watts or ~3.5 Amps. The LP gen set won't run everything at once either. Neither will shore power for that matter! So no matter which gen set you chose you'll need to manage your load.

Either choice involves a trade off. By going with the QD3200 you avoid the LP capacity driven short run time concern of the LP generator. But you have 400W less power... Hmm, I'll stick with the QD3200 for my needs...
RedLdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:27 PM   #17

Regarding maiden trip in 24R Solera

I purchased a 24R Forester mbs with diesel genset. I have actually had 2.
The AC would not run on diesel generator on both units. The factory in Elkhart, Indiana could not get it to run either so they replaced the Dometic 13.5K ac unit with an Atwood 13.5K ac unit.
The Atwood unit runs beautifully and I have never had a problem running it on generator. It has a lower initial power drawer than the Dometic and also has a nice handheld remote feature. I live in the southwest and have dry camped in 105 to 110 degree temps with no problem running off my diesel generator.
I hope this helps. I love my 24R. I have put over 10K miles on it in under 5 months.
Now if only someone could tell me where the fresh water tank drain plug is?
Fox 🐺
nicktano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:50 PM   #18

Nicktano,

Did the FR charge you for the Atwood A/C unit?

I have now turned off everything in the rig and the diesel generator still shuts down when I turn on the A/C
Old 08-07-2015, 10:12 PM   #19

Now if only someone could tell me where the fresh water tank drain plug is?
Fox 🐺[/QUOTE]
Drain is a valve in the water pump access compartment. Open the black door and you will see a hose that runs out the bottom of the compartment. In that hose is a small valve with a lever that needs to be aligned with the hose to open and drain the tank. It is 1/2 inch hose and will take a while to drain a full tank. Don"t confuse drain line with winterizing line.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:33 AM   #20
2012 Solera

AC on generator

Quote:
Nicktano,

Did the FR charge you for the Atwood A/C unit?

I have now turned off everything in the rig and the diesel generator still shuts down when I turn on the A/C
Really surprised the AC won't run with "everything" turned off. I can run my Dometic 13.5 K BTU AC on our propane generator with both the fridge and the water heater operating on 110volts. Seems like those two items would more than equal the power difference in the generators.
Thoughts - try turning off all the circuit breakers except the AC breaker and see if the AC will run on generator. Maybe something you believe is turned off is still pulling significant power. If the AC will run in that condition, try turning on the breakers one at a time to try to isolate the offending circuit/device.
Believe there are "hard start" kits for the AC units that help reduce startup current surge for generator use. Such a kit might be an alternative to the above suggested AC replacement. E.g.: http://www.amazon.com/Dometic-C-Moto...hard+start+kit
Note Amazon post says to contact vendor to ensure the correct kit for the specific AirCon unit.

{Edited above to correct terminology to "hard start" and to add the Amazon link.}

Good luck!
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solera