Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2015, 12:55 PM   #1

Manually retracting slide

I have a 2011 Solera S. No problems with the slide but I'd like to make sure I have whatever tools I need if I ever have to retract it manually. The manual says to insert a hex drive in the back of the motor but my motor has no hex drive or any other kind of drive at the back. I don't see any other obvious way to retract it other than loosen the shaft hardware and manually push it in.

Anyone know what the correct method is?
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
2018 FR3 30DS

retract slide

Osarg, if my memory serves correctly, on my previously owned 2011 24s, I think if you open the door for the propane tank and look almost directly above it, you will see a motor with a 1/2 inch hex nut on it. I kept a ratchet and 1/2 inch socket just in case it wouldn't retract. I may be wrong...just trying to remember.
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:03 PM   #3

Thanks. I found the motor but was looking on the back of it. Didn't bother to look at the bevel drive. I'm guessing it take a really long time to retract using a ratchet. Hopefully I never have to find out.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #4

I have never retracted mine, but everything I read on manual retraction, says to disconnect the power to the motor, so as not to backfeed current I assume during retraction. You might want to buy a cheap china freight cordless drill and have a socket to speed up the process. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
I have never retracted mine, but everything I read on manual retraction, says to disconnect the power to the motor, so as not to backfeed current I assume during retraction. You might want to buy a cheap china freight cordless drill and have a socket to speed up the process. Just sayin'
I'd take a cordless drill with socket but there is about 3" between the nut and the outer wall. Might be able to fit a right angle cordless driver in there but I don't have one of those.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogsarg View Post
I'd take a cordless drill with socket but there is about 3" between the nut and the outer wall. Might be able to fit a right angle cordless driver in there but I don't have one of those.

Ogsarg, look into something like this. The duty cycle would be so low you really just need a cheapo one.
http://www.amazon.com/Angle-Attachme...l+socket+Chuck
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:13 AM   #7

Ogsarg.... to quote: "manual says to insert a hex drive in the back of the motor but my motor has no hex drive or any other kind of drive at the back"

This may be of some help.....
I am not sure of your rig, but my manual said the same thing.

However, the access for the 'hex drive' was on the opposite 'end' of the motor. to where the pump is mounted.
The access is behind a silver label denoting it's use, but the writing may be faded over the years.
If yours has this label simply peel it back and exposes the drive slot.
I carry a 110volt drill motor to use in case of emergency should the slide not retract or go out....considering that I only use the slides at the CG or at home I would have the 110V power available.

Hope this helps
Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, slide