Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 09:50 PM   #1

MaxxAir fan install

Hi all! New owners of a 2013 Solera 24S. Loving it so far, huge step up from our pop-up. Although, we did decide to replace the simple ceiling vent with a MaxxAir fan. Chose the 4500 -- 10 speed, electric vent, bi-directional. Picked it up on Amazon. Did the install myself yesterday.

Started by scraping off the old lap sealant.

Then removing the interior trip piece (4 screws) Easy to pull the old vent from there. I put the new one on the roof to get the wiring done. This was the part I was most nervous about, but thankfully it was at least pre-wired. (Had I had to dig for 12V, I'd have probably paid the local dealership to do the whole deal).

There was a 12V wire that came into the opening and doubled back into the roof (to the right of the shot above, to the left below). I turned off the master battery switch by the door to remove power, snipped it there then used a meter to figure out which of the leads was +/-. Then I just used some simple push-connectors from Home Depot.

I got the 4-port, could have just used 3-port. But whatever. It worked.

Per the fan instructions, I manually cranked open the vent. Then I turned the battery switch back on. As advertised, it beeped and automatically closed the vent. Electric Success! From there, it was back to the roof to put down some butyl tape and drop it in place. Then screwed into the pre-marked locations around the frame.

Followed by a tube of Dicor lap sealant. I had to take it back to the storage lot in the afternoon to keep the HOA at bay, but went down there today to finish up by re-installing the MaxxAir II vent cover that the previous owner had over the vent.

Overall, a pretty simple install. Hardest part was getting the bigger items to/from the roof while using the narrow roof ladder. I eventually resorted to the Little Giant next to it to move the goods, and just used the coach ladder to get myself up there. Fun project! Now if that Hellwig bar would ever get here...
cajunAWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:51 AM   #2

Looks great, that's exactly how I spent this weekend as well. Replaced both rear vent and bathroom vent with fantastic fan vents. Both our Hengs vents were shattered by dime sized hail and held together with duct tape. They are the weak link on the roof if you don't use vent covers.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:19 AM   #3

cajunAWACS,nice install,but the 4 vertical tabs with the holes in them are for the MAXXAIR cover that is Made for this Fan! Just 4 R-Pins and its on! the Alum mounting plates for the MaxxAir II are to be mounted into the Vertical flange Not through the roof! I understand you already had the MaxxAir II cover but other members should know there is a proper Factory cover that requires no Tools or Drilling to install! The proper Factory cover is called "Fanmate". Youroo!!
Old 09-05-2016, 10:33 AM   #4

Nice job-Thank you for the Pic's!!

CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"
Orlando, FL

"HAPPY LABOR DAY"

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #5

Youroo, I suspected that was the case, but couldn't get the tabs to line up for the cover I had. If I hadn't already had the cover we'd have probably gone with the Deluxe version. Although as Rich M mentioned, being able to more quickly swap after some hail is a good call, too. And living here in OK, that's always a threat.

I did see that the MaxxAir instructions said to drill horizontally for the bracket, but that would have gone into the fan motor. Since it was drilled this way on the original vent, I just repeated. When I get back up there in the spring and open up another tube of Dicor I'll hit those screws as well.

Appreciate the clarification, hopefully it'll help folks doing a cleaner install than mine.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2016, 07:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunAWACS View Post
Youroo, I suspected that was the case, but couldn't get the tabs to line up for the cover I had. If I hadn't already had the cover we'd have probably gone with the Deluxe version. Although as Rich M mentioned, being able to more quickly swap after some hail is a good call, too. And living here in OK, that's always a threat.

I did see that the MaxxAir instructions said to drill horizontally for the bracket, but that would have gone into the fan motor. Since it was drilled this way on the original vent, I just repeated. When I get back up there in the spring and open up another tube of Dicor I'll hit those screws as well.

Appreciate the clarification, hopefully it'll help folks doing a cleaner install than mine.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Seal the screws through the roof tomorrow. A $10 tube of Decor could save you thousands of dollars in repairs.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:59 AM   #7

Yup. Increasingly paranoid about it. I've got a tube in the garage. Unit is stored indoors but coming out over the weekend for a sway bar install, think I'll hit those screws while I'm at it.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #8

Really nice post. Love having pictures! Thanks
hifromkate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan