Old 07-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #1

Mercedes Benz Sprinter Maintenance Service Contract Extension

The Sprinter service rep at my last visit to a service center was telling me it might be in my interest to extend my warranty for two years to cover the possible breakage of the catalytic converter which would cost over $1,500. Has anyone experienced replacing their catalytic converter on this forum? Appreciate any and all information. Thank You!
CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"
"HAPPY TRAVELS"

Old 07-16-2016, 10:25 AM   #2

Emissions warranty should be 5/100 on the sprinter.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

Old 07-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
The Sprinter service rep at my last visit to a service center was telling me it might be in my interest to extend my warranty for two years to cover the possible breakage of the catalytic converter which would cost over $1,500. Has anyone experienced replacing their catalytic converter on this forum? Appreciate any and all information. Thank You!
CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"
"HAPPY TRAVELS"

I had a 2008 Sprinter bought as a 2010 Solera. Put 20k miles on it. No cat. conv. Issues.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #4

Overall, the Sprinter, (Dodge or Mercedes versions), does not have a very good reliability record, at least in this part of the country. I know a lot of tradesman, who used them daily as service vehicles. They did not hold up well, and were in the shop often for multiple issues. Brake issues and engine issues seemed to be top on the list. Not one of the guys I know bought them again when replacement time came around.
My son is a mechanic at an import auto dealer. He says the Sprinters are poorly engineered, hard to work on, and costly to repair. He hates working on them, as do most of their mechanics.
If I had one, I would be getting all the extended warranty I could buy.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"
"HAPPY TRAVELS"

Sounds like someone is trying to sell an unneeded extended warranty. Your catalytic converter should never fail on its own. I would not by an extended warranty on that basis alone. It normally takes some other failure to cause it to go out. If it does fail you will probably be replacing much more than the converter.
Reasons for catalytic converter failure. | eBay
Old 07-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #6

Newer version of MB Sprinter much improved

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowingman View Post
Overall, the Sprinter, (Dodge or Mercedes versions), does not have a very good reliability record, at least in this part of the country. I know a lot of tradesman, who used them daily as service vehicles. They did not hold up well, and were in the shop often for multiple issues. Brake issues and engine issues seemed to be top on the list. Not one of the guys I know bought them again when replacement time came around.
My son is a mechanic at an import auto dealer. He says the Sprinters are poorly engineered, hard to work on, and costly to repair. He hates working on them, as do most of their mechanics.
UPS and Fedex use these by the thousands / Older versions needed work/Newer versions are almost flawless with over 200K miles without issues /Insurance companies play the odds that they will not pay a claim more then they will
Let you figure out / BTW have a MD on my forest River / no issues
Good luck and RV ing
Old 07-16-2016, 03:17 PM   #7

I had trouble with def. & cel lights coming on. second time around I was told by dealer every thing replaced on pollution system that could be replaced including catalytic converter. That was at 3500 miles.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowingman View Post
X2 . i've known of nothing but issues with these from the engines , trannys , gear shift lock out breaks , wheel sensor troubles , the list goes on . would never own one myself but the each their own
Old 07-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #9

Talked to our FedEx person. They have several in their fleet that have between 200,000 and 300,000 miles on them. A few electrical problems but they like them.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmbs View Post
Talked to our FedEx person. They have several in their fleet that have between 200,000 and 300,000 miles on them. A few electrical problems but they like them.
Way to go Fed Ex, everyone else Beware.

Tags
maintenance, service