Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida/Thailand/Texas
Posts: 214
Mercedes Benz Sprinter Maintenance Service Contract Extension

The Sprinter service rep at my last visit to a service center was telling me it might be in my interest to extend my warranty for two years to cover the possible breakage of the catalytic converter which would cost over $1,500. Has anyone experienced replacing their catalytic converter on this forum? Appreciate any and all information. Thank You!
CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"
"HAPPY TRAVELS"

__________________

__________________
CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,431
Emissions warranty should be 5/100 on the sprinter.


2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
__________________

__________________
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
ilmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
The Sprinter service rep at my last visit to a service center was telling me it might be in my interest to extend my warranty for two years to cover the possible breakage of the catalytic converter which would cost over $1,500. Has anyone experienced replacing their catalytic converter on this forum? Appreciate any and all information. Thank You!
CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"
"HAPPY TRAVELS"

I had a 2008 Sprinter bought as a 2010 Solera. Put 20k miles on it. No cat. conv. Issues.
__________________
2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 33
Overall, the Sprinter, (Dodge or Mercedes versions), does not have a very good reliability record, at least in this part of the country. I know a lot of tradesman, who used them daily as service vehicles. They did not hold up well, and were in the shop often for multiple issues. Brake issues and engine issues seemed to be top on the list. Not one of the guys I know bought them again when replacement time came around.
My son is a mechanic at an import auto dealer. He says the Sprinters are poorly engineered, hard to work on, and costly to repair. He hates working on them, as do most of their mechanics.
If I had one, I would be getting all the extended warranty I could buy.
__________________
mowingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Mikegjax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orange Park Fl.
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
The Sprinter service rep at my last visit to a service center was telling me it might be in my interest to extend my warranty for two years to cover the possible breakage of the catalytic converter which would cost over $1,500. Has anyone experienced replacing their catalytic converter on this forum? Appreciate any and all information. Thank You!
CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"
"HAPPY TRAVELS"

Sounds like someone is trying to sell an unneeded extended warranty. Your catalytic converter should never fail on its own. I would not by an extended warranty on that basis alone. It normally takes some other failure to cause it to go out. If it does fail you will probably be replacing much more than the converter.
Reasons for catalytic converter failure. | eBay
__________________
2014 Solera 24R
USN Retired
Mikegjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 31
Newer version of MB Sprinter much improved

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowingman View Post
Overall, the Sprinter, (Dodge or Mercedes versions), does not have a very good reliability record, at least in this part of the country. I know a lot of tradesman, who used them daily as service vehicles. They did not hold up well, and were in the shop often for multiple issues. Brake issues and engine issues seemed to be top on the list. Not one of the guys I know bought them again when replacement time came around.
My son is a mechanic at an import auto dealer. He says the Sprinters are poorly engineered, hard to work on, and costly to repair. He hates working on them, as do most of their mechanics.
If I had one, I would be getting all the extended warranty I could buy.
UPS and Fedex use these by the thousands / Older versions needed work/Newer versions are almost flawless with over 200K miles without issues /Insurance companies play the odds that they will not pay a claim more then they will
Let you figure out / BTW have a MD on my forest River / no issues
Good luck and RV ing
__________________
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:17 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 39
I had trouble with def. & cel lights coming on. second time around I was told by dealer every thing replaced on pollution system that could be replaced including catalytic converter. That was at 3500 miles.
__________________
billwill67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowingman View Post
Overall, the Sprinter, (Dodge or Mercedes versions), does not have a very good reliability record, at least in this part of the country. I know a lot of tradesman, who used them daily as service vehicles. They did not hold up well, and were in the shop often for multiple issues. Brake issues and engine issues seemed to be top on the list. Not one of the guys I know bought them again when replacement time came around.
My son is a mechanic at an import auto dealer. He says the Sprinters are poorly engineered, hard to work on, and costly to repair. He hates working on them, as do most of their mechanics.
If I had one, I would be getting all the extended warranty I could buy.
X2 . i've known of nothing but issues with these from the engines , trannys , gear shift lock out breaks , wheel sensor troubles , the list goes on . would never own one myself but the each their own
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 220
Talked to our FedEx person. They have several in their fleet that have between 200,000 and 300,000 miles on them. A few electrical problems but they like them.
__________________
2016 Sunseeker MBS W
2010 Honda CRV- SMI Stay In Play Duo
Previous-5th wheel, Class C, tent trailer, tent
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:24 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Dunn, NC
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmbs View Post
Talked to our FedEx person. They have several in their fleet that have between 200,000 and 300,000 miles on them. A few electrical problems but they like them.
Way to go Fed Ex, everyone else Beware.
__________________

__________________
pdqparalegal1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
maintenance, service

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.