Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #1

Mercedes Benz Sprinter Maintenance Service Contract Extension

The Sprinter service rep at my last visit to a service center was telling me it might be in my interest to extend my warranty for two years to cover the possible breakage of the catalytic converter which would cost over $1,500. Has anyone experienced replacing their catalytic converter on this forum? Appreciate any and all information. Thank You!
CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"
"HAPPY TRAVELS"

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:25 AM   #2

Emissions warranty should be 5/100 on the sprinter.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
The Sprinter service rep at my last visit to a service center was telling me it might be in my interest to extend my warranty for two years to cover the possible breakage of the catalytic converter which would cost over $1,500. Has anyone experienced replacing their catalytic converter on this forum? Appreciate any and all information. Thank You!
CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"
"HAPPY TRAVELS"

I had a 2008 Sprinter bought as a 2010 Solera. Put 20k miles on it. No cat. conv. Issues.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #4

Overall, the Sprinter, (Dodge or Mercedes versions), does not have a very good reliability record, at least in this part of the country. I know a lot of tradesman, who used them daily as service vehicles. They did not hold up well, and were in the shop often for multiple issues. Brake issues and engine issues seemed to be top on the list. Not one of the guys I know bought them again when replacement time came around.
My son is a mechanic at an import auto dealer. He says the Sprinters are poorly engineered, hard to work on, and costly to repair. He hates working on them, as do most of their mechanics.
If I had one, I would be getting all the extended warranty I could buy.
mowingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"
"HAPPY TRAVELS"

Sounds like someone is trying to sell an unneeded extended warranty. Your catalytic converter should never fail on its own. I would not by an extended warranty on that basis alone. It normally takes some other failure to cause it to go out. If it does fail you will probably be replacing much more than the converter.
Reasons for catalytic converter failure. | eBay
Old 07-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #6

Newer version of MB Sprinter much improved

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowingman View Post
Overall, the Sprinter, (Dodge or Mercedes versions), does not have a very good reliability record, at least in this part of the country. I know a lot of tradesman, who used them daily as service vehicles. They did not hold up well, and were in the shop often for multiple issues. Brake issues and engine issues seemed to be top on the list. Not one of the guys I know bought them again when replacement time came around.
My son is a mechanic at an import auto dealer. He says the Sprinters are poorly engineered, hard to work on, and costly to repair. He hates working on them, as do most of their mechanics.
UPS and Fedex use these by the thousands / Older versions needed work/Newer versions are almost flawless with over 200K miles without issues /Insurance companies play the odds that they will not pay a claim more then they will
Let you figure out / BTW have a MD on my forest River / no issues
Good luck and RV ing
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:17 PM   #7

I had trouble with def. & cel lights coming on. second time around I was told by dealer every thing replaced on pollution system that could be replaced including catalytic converter. That was at 3500 miles.
billwill67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowingman View Post
X2 . i've known of nothing but issues with these from the engines , trannys , gear shift lock out breaks , wheel sensor troubles , the list goes on . would never own one myself but the each their own
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:30 PM   #9

Talked to our FedEx person. They have several in their fleet that have between 200,000 and 300,000 miles on them. A few electrical problems but they like them.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmbs View Post
Talked to our FedEx person. They have several in their fleet that have between 200,000 and 300,000 miles on them. A few electrical problems but they like them.
Way to go Fed Ex, everyone else Beware.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:06 PM   #11

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal...-tom-robertson

If this article is how you have come to the conclusion that the MB 3 liter 24 valve turbo charged diesel is a piece of junk ... READ CLOSER, first off this is an opinion from a person who is a businessman and not an engine expert. secondly he owns a specialty delivery company and puts 100,000 miles on those vehicles yearly, His drivers are probably maniacs on the road like most time sensitive drivers are. in order to put 100,000 miles on a vehicle yearly in the delivery business, those engines are running six days a week, 12 hours a day..

Do you really think that those drivers are paying attention to warning lights and stopping that van to get it fixed as soon as the light comes on? OR are they ignoring that warning light because they still have 150 miles on that 300 mile run and only have three hours to complete it?

BTW this guy admits that he hasn't had any emission problems for the first 100,000 miles with most not occurring prior to 150,000 miles. AND he never said a word about the engines breaking down, only that he has had emission problems with them.

How many of you naysayers can say the same about that gasoline engine your running. Will it go 100,000 miles without having any emission problems. Will that gas engine even last 100,000 miles ???

Being jealous of a person who decides to buy a clean diesel RV is no reason to trash talk their vehicle choice
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #12

I went to Mercedes training when that engine first came out in the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
That motor is a work of art. Everything is over built and over engineered.

I've owned one, and loved it.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #13

Quote:
CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"
"HAPPY TRAVELS"

CaptDan, read my post last month on the very issue you're inquiring about. No judgement here, but MB Sprinter chassis owners would know more about the topic, as in my case where I talked with the tech. I did sense that he probably knows more than he could "frankly" state. To get the real inside scope on whats going on, you would need some techs to open up on what MB corporate policy is causing them to suggest the recommendation you got from your MB service center.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...l?#post1222676

Also read my follow-up post as well.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, service