Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #1

Metal Extended Valve Stems

After reading all the horror stories on the forum about tire problems, I'm wanting to replace the rubber valve stems on my 2013 Solera with metal stems. I'm unsure exactly what to order. The Wheels have small round holes, and are covered with wheel covers with matching small round holes. My question is: has anyone out there replaced their valve stems and if so were they long enough to reach through the wheel covers with enough room to attach a tire pressure monitor sensor on the end? Where did you order and if you recall, what were part numbers, etc.?

Hesitant to order until I have some sense of the correct stems!

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #2

These should work

http://www.wheelmasters.com/extenders.html
DavidS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
Thanks, David. Not what I was looking for. Those are extenders; I'm looking to replace the stems themselves!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
2012 Solera 24S

Take a look at:

Duallyvalve Kits for Sprinter Trucks

Unfortunately I ordered the wrong set and couldn't get them installed but they sorted it out and sent me the correct stems. Now I am going to wait until I have the tires rotated to get the replacements installed.

Learn from my mistake, DEFINITELY give them a call and talk to Bill, he will make sure you get the correct set for your chassis year.

These aren't cheap, but I had these on a previous motor home and they are a quality product.
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nats View Post
Take a look at:

Unfortunately I ordered the wrong set and couldn't get them installed but they sorted it out and sent me the correct stems. Now I am going to wait until I have the tires rotated to get the replacements installed.

Learn from my mistake, DEFINITELY give them a call and talk to Bill, he will make sure you get the correct set for your chassis year.

These aren't cheap, but I had these on a previous motor home and they are a quality product.
Thanks, Nats:
I was just looking at that site. Which kit did you order? Did you have the same wheel covers?
I'll definitely call Bill - good idea to give him the info and let
him be responsible for putting me on the right set!
Got a long trip scheduled in Sept (before my 1st tire rotation, so I want them on before I head across the midwest plains!!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
2012 Solera 24S

My 2012 Solera is built on a 2011 Sprinter chassis.

I ordered the DL1SP16C with VHVS8225B front stems without talking to Bill. Bill was out of town when I attempted to have them installed and although they can be bent, the installer could not get the rear to fit, but he did install the front.

When Bill got back he told me what set I needed and gave me the option of a full refund or replacement, I chose the replacement because of my previous experience with his product.

Since the wheels were already off I had the installer put on high pressure metal stems and the factory extenders. Like you, I am concerned about losing a wheel cover with the factory extenders so I wire tied my wheel covers until I have a chance to take it back in to get the dually valves installed.

I know a lot of people will question what these cost but I am really careful with my tires, inflation, etc. I also have the TST tire pressure monitoring system.

I have seen what a blowout can do to a motor home so I don't mind spending a little extra for peace of mind.
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #7

These might not be what you're looking for either (they're wheel masters) but I am pleased with them.

I posted these pics before but not sure how to link to original post.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #8

Ed,

From another site that I'm on this is what a lot of people recommend for the duals.

Tire-Man: Products

Butch
butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nats View Post
Take a look at:

I really like the idea of just having stems without an additional place to get a leak.

What do you do when you rotate the tires? Did you put the same long stems on the front wheels as well?
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #10
Newbee to RV

I just bought my first rv in June. When I went to check the tire pressure, for my first trip, I found that I could not get to the valves, so I went to a local tire shop where they had the same problem. I ended up buying new stems, about $150 for 6 stems, remounting, and nitro fill. I did find out that the shop could no longer order the stems and had to have them custom made.

FYI the shop is Jim's Tires in Simi Valley, Ca.

I think this will be money well spent in the long run.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #11

I had a flat tire last summer(right rear outside dual). I had valve extenders on the original valve stems. While trying to find the leak I found I couldn't air up the tire over 50 pounds. I accidently hit the valve stem and it leaked. The rubber part was cracked. I figured it was from the valve extenders moving while the truck was in motion.I went to a tire shop and had brass valve stems installed in all the tires. Now there is a rigid base to put on the valve extenders. I now take off the wheel inserts to fill my tires for towing and to air down when not towing. I think it cost around $150. to do all 7 tires.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #12
Dynamax Isata 5 FW

By all means get the correct metal stems for the sprinter. The rubber stems are only rated for 65psi.
I do not why we get the rubber stems on the Sprinter chasses when they know that the Sprinter will be used as a base for a MH.
van_fl is offline   Reply With Quote