Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #1

Metal valve stems

Finally had the metal valve stems installed. What a difference when it comes to checking/inflating. Don't need three hands anymore. TPMS should be here in a couple more days.

DL1SP13FR Chrome Duallyvalve Kit W/ Front Stems
Old 11-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #2

Well...they ain't cheap! How much did it cost to get them installed?

Probably a good idea in any case.

Dave
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #3

They didnt cost me anything. The tire shop where I buy all my tires just put them in when I ask ,and no they didnt jack the price of the tires to cover it as I had already paid for them.They were in a box next to the rubber ones on a shelf above one of the tire machines.The price was written on the boxes,$1.50 for rubber and $2.50 for metal.

edit) I reread this and see you wanted chrome ones,brass was good enough for me!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
They didnt cost me anything. The tire shop where I buy all my tires just put them in when I ask ,and no they didnt jack the price of the tires to cover it as I had already paid for them.They were in a box next to the rubber ones on a shelf above one of the tire machines.The price was written on the boxes,$1.50 for rubber and $2.50 for metal.

edit) I reread this and see you wanted chrome ones,brass was good enough for me!
Wow - where do you get your tires??? A set of duallyvalve stems - inside and outside for the rear, plus fronts, plus grommets to protect things, etc., seems to go for a bit more than $100 in brass...only $10 more for chrome...
Old 11-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #5

Cost roughly $20.00 each to have installed. Would have been much cheaper if I had it done with tires. Don't need tires for awhile! What I like about these stems is NO EXTENSIONS.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Wow - where do you get your tires??? A set of duallyvalve stems - inside and outside for the rear, plus fronts, plus grommets to protect things, etc., seems to go for a bit more than $100 in brass...only $10 more for chrome...
Tim's Tire in mancelona mi.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #7

Added Tiretech On TPMS today. Very easy install even on front stems. Did need to bend the front stem slightly. Taking the RV out next week and will see how it works. From what I can tell it is the exact system as Tireminder and Tiretracker, but a bit cheaper to buy.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #8

Metal valve stems are always better-they won't rot in the sun light.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:25 PM   #9

Happy to say the Tiretech On TPMS works very well. Easy install and setup and provides accurate pressures and temps (verified temps with infrared thermometer). The monitor is about the size of a small flip phone, closed. Easy read face and function. Mounted it with it's suction cup mount to the forward edge of the small drivers side window which makes it non intrusive. When I received it there were 6 extra batteries which surprised me.

Here is a link for those interested.

Tiretech on Tire Pressure Monitoring System w 10 Brass Sensors 0 232 PSI TP7004 | eBay
Old 11-29-2014, 10:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Happy to say the Tiretech On TPMS works very well. Easy install and setup and provides accurate pressures and temps (verified temps with infrared thermometer). The monitor is about the size of a small flip phone, closed. Easy read face and function. Mounted it with it's suction cup mount to the forward edge of the small drivers side window which makes it non intrusive. When I received it there were 6 extra batteries which surprised me.

Here is a link for those interested.

Tiretech on Tire Pressure Monitoring System w 10 Brass Sensors 0 232 PSI TP7004 | eBay
"Very Nice"-Thanks for the INFO. This is the next Mod I need for my one piece metal tire valve stems" that I bought from Your Tire Shop Supply | Supplies for Tire Shops
Thanks again.

Capt Dan

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #11

I turn the system on before I start unhooking. It takes a few minutes for the system to sync back up after being off. I also did some tests by loosing the sensors and received immediate alerts of a pressure lose. I did not get the booster and find it is not needed on my application with the toad.

I think it is definitely worth having.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #12

What Happens When You Don't Use Metal Stems

We used the aftermarket TPMS with sensors attached to the valve stem. The documentation recommended metal valve stems but didn't state they are required. Please don't use them on anything but metal stems! The attached photo shows what happened on our first trip - 3 year old Michelins with 15,000 miles. This one popped after we got off I-5 at 2 AM at a rest stop. Could have been catastrophic minutes earlier. The sensors weigh around 1/2 ounce each. The centrifugal force of rotating wheel deforms the base of the stem and eventually, it will fail. Another tire began losing air and again the stem was the problem. We changed out the stems to metal and had no further issues.

PS: First post on this forum ... Solera 24S is our first motohome ... 20k miles on trailers before that.
Attached Images

MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:01 PM   #13

I have rubber stems on my toad and have not had any problems with the sensors or stems.

Made my second trip using this system and it works great. Gives real time pressures and temps, including over pressure, under pressure, fast and slow leak warnings.

It comes with 10 sensors and extra batteries. Highly recommend.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:50 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

I never had a problem with the high pressure rubber stems the first 14 months, but on the way home from the Goshen rally this year when we were about 30 miles from home (20 to GY dealer), one started leaking. Long story short, finally made it to the GY dealer for a free replacement and ended up buying a new GY Marathon LR D spare tire. The next week, removed all 4 tires/wheels and had steel stems put in, bought a new matching alum wheel and had steel stem put in spare and all 5 tire/wheels balanced with the sensor installed.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #15

I have metal stems on the rv and will put them on the toad at net tire change.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:53 PM   #16
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
I have rubber stems on my toad and have not had any problems with the sensors or stems.

Made my second trip using this system and it works great. Gives real time pressures and temps, including over pressure, under pressure, fast and slow leak warnings.

It comes with 10 sensors and extra batteries. Highly recommend.

I suppose we can get a less expensive version for 6 sensors at $212 if no toad: Tire Pressure Monitoring System w/ 6 brass Sensors

BTW, thanks for your answer to my sunshade question.

Happy New Year!
HomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:02 PM   #17

Anybody ever seen a valve stem like this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420056099.233413.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	67988

This is on both front tires of my Berk. I can't screw anything onto them.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #18

After spending 2-3 hours (and several inflation chucks) I finally managed to get my tires to the right pressure.

I ordered the new stems yesterday.

Dave

Quote:
Finally had the metal valve stems installed. What a difference when it comes to checking/inflating. Don't need three hands anymore. TPMS should be here in a couple more days.

DL1SP13FR Chrome Duallyvalve Kit W/ Front Stems
Old 01-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Anybody ever seen a valve stem like this?
Attachment 67988

This is on both front tires of my Berk. I can't screw anything onto them.
Yes I have-they suck.I had them on a snowmobile trailer.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #20

The new valve stems arrived yesterday.

I stopped in at my local tire shop and they said they'd install the stems for $16 / wheel - which seems pretty cheap given all the work they need to do on each wheel.

Also, I look through the mounting instructions...seems a little more complicated than I was expecting. They made two points about the simulator covers and I was wondering what others who've used these valves have done...

First, they said to make sure there was at least 3/4 inch of clearance between the stem and the edges of the wheel cover holes. And to enlarge the hole if necessary. Has anyone enlarged the holes and, if so, how did you do it?

Second, they said to wire tie the covers in place - have people done that?

Thanks

Dave