Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2013, 12:21 AM   #1

Microwave and oven versus convection microwave

Anybody have any advice on getting the standard microwave and oven versus the convection microwave? My wife looked inside one of the standard ovens and it looked like you could only use the upper half of it!

Charlie J.
Charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliej View Post
Anybody have any advice on getting the standard microwave and oven versus the convection microwave? My wife looked inside one of the standard ovens and it looked like you could only use the upper half of it!

Charlie J.
It is small, but everything on a RV this size is not the size of your regular house. I think a convection oven might be installed in the lower cabinets, at least it is in my friends Lexington. That does cause him to have to get on his hands and knees to use it.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #3
Trailer Trash

The Columbus models come standard with a convection/microwave oven and a traditional propane stove/oven. The propane oven does not heat evenly like a residential oven so you may notice things burnt on bottom. The convection oven works great however. Got to remember to pull the metal rack out when you use it in microwave mode however.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #4

I saw on campfire/cooking forum here, that if you put aluminum foil on the bottom of the pan in the oven, then it won't burn the bottom of your food.... fyi.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #5

Had a convection/microwave oven in our last TT. It was at eye level so pretty convenient. We only used it in convection mode a couple times... Seemed to do ok. I would have like to have had one in our new camper... But it wasn't an option. Currently have neither convection nor traditional oven.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:29 AM   #6

We don't have a micro/convection in our 5er but have one at home. Our house range/stove has a convection oven too. They're very easy to use and efficient. If we would've had the option in our 5er we would've gone with the micro/convection.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #7

Does anyone know if the interior size is significantly different between the two microwaves?

Charlie J.
Charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliej View Post
Does anyone know if the interior size is significantly different between the two microwaves?

Charlie J.
Our dual use unit was what I'd consider slightly bigger... But not significant.