Old 06-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #1

Misadventures so far

We are heading out today for our 4th camping trip in our Solera 24R. This will also be the first trip that is more than one night. Hopefully it will be our first trip without an oops.

On our first trip at the beginning of May it was really cold at night. My husband turned on the furnace at 5:30 AM, asked about the smell, and it mumbled something about propane furnaces having a smell. I remember always smelling the furnace as a kid as my parents have had RVs since I was 6 or 7 years old. It wasn't that smell. It was the smoky stench of a brand née furnace that hadn't been burned off, so we were those people with the smoke alarm blaring the ought the campground at dawn. Came home, burned off the furnace, and now it works great.

The second overnighter was Mother's Day weekend. The campsite was perfect, and the campground was empty except for one other group. It felt a bit creepy to have it so empty, so I locked the doors when I went to sleep. The next morning, we got up and went outside to start the day, and of course we got locked out. Two hours later after a lot of swearing and trying to convince the cat to unlock the doors (he wouldn't!), we were finally back in the motorhome. The star age compartment with the cooler was unlocked, so we did have beer to sustain us, but that wasn't very useful for my 13 year old. At least the cat was warm, since the furnace was working after the first trip. Now we have a hide-a-key.

Third trip out was the weekend after Memorial Day. I made a tight turn into a campsite and sideswiped a tree. That pretty much killed the weekend's fun right there. At least I got the first ding out of the way, right. Lola (the Solera's name) goes to the body shop on Tuesday for a few spa days to repair $2000 worth of damage.

Yesterday I had a Hellwig sway bar installed, and I fully expect this next trip to be the best one yet. I'm taking plenty of beer just in case.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like you need to teach that cat some things.

It'll all get better. We all have battle..... er, camping scars. It's the stories that make it funner.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
NELA

(chuckle) Yeah, we experienced the screaming smoke alarm when we owned the 30WIKSS V-Lite. We were camped in Pigeon Forge. Scared the beejeepers out of us and would have totally ruined the trip (I was NOT going to take day trips and leave our dog Fred there) had DH not gotten on the forum quickly via his iPad. Several folks explained the annealing "burn off". Even in the early morning hour, they were here for us!

Additionally, there was a couple camped on the other side of the park that responded to the smoke alarm. What a coincidence! The man owned an A/C and heating company. He checked everything out, top to bottom. And wouldn't let us compensate him, sooooo we invited them over that night for OPEN BAR!

He kept saying "no, that's not necessary" until I told him "I'll let you break the seal on a brand new bottle of Gentleman Jack!" It was ON!

IMO, 99.9999999999999% of RVers are "good folks".

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #4

You haven't lived until you're three hours late showing up at camp, two hours after dark, trying to setup when both you and your wife are so hungry that civility has left the building.

But yes, time and experience make for great stories doing they!

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #5
NELA

Yeah, or a five day trip that you and the other half have been eagerly anticipating, only to have it rain buckets full EVERY stinkin' day! Rain like I've never seen before, and being situated close to the lake bank we could SEE that the lake had risen over night each morning.

Having a dog that is terrified of lightning/thunder, we quickly discovered that the bathroom doors MUST stay closed at night in a bad storm. The sky light over the shower allowed for *intense* indoor lighting every time lightning struck. Ended up having to "swaddle" him with a bath towel that night.

GOT to get Fred a Thunder Shirt!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent