Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #1

Misleading videos on Solera?

Sorry for length - First time RV purchase, I have 3 children and have narrowed my choice down to a 24J View or a Solera 24s. I eliminated the Thor Siesta based on forums and the pdf here. I have been contacted by several View/Itasca dealers, and they argue that their much higher price is deserved due to quality - and they do look to be of very high quality (a dealer 200 miles away may have some that we can see soon in person) - but the comparison video I watched from an Iowa dealership stated many things that don't seem true, regarding the front cap, labeled switches, leather swivel seats, towing capacity etc. The Solera brochure conflicts with most everything in the video, so perhaps the comparison video is simply outdated?

I live in SE MT, and received a quote on a Solera 24s that I could pick up in Des Moines that seems to good to be true, and I have not received answers to some of my questions. The site has a Solera video that mentions in passing that leather swivel seats, frameless windows etc. can be obtained in a SE or LE package, but they were not listed as options in the build machine - isn't that because they are now standard features? My main concern is passenger seating, I really need a 3 seat sofa vs. the dinette - and a sofa w/table was listed as an option - But it did not state whether it is 2 seats or 3. Is there a wide version that also turns into a bed? If so, I think the Solera would be perfect, I am a big "deck" person, so I am very disappointed that no exterior speakers or tv are offered as on the 2150 Coachmen Prism, but other than that I think I've made up my mind due to the design, quality, and price - though I would love to know if "direct" dealerships are a bad choice? Thank you for any help, I did look through 4 pages of the forums, but I didn't see any definitive answers on the swivel seats etc.
moooog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #2

We bought the solera because it had way more exterior storage
That was 2 years ago
We drove the similar floorplan view but when I asked where do you put your stuff they said that you must downsize the amount you take
With solera I can fit everything and still have more space

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Are you speaking of Cheyenne camper sales in Walcott Iowa?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #4

So your the guy playing that loud music in the peace and quiet. I second the vote, storage on the S is fantastic. I think somewhere in here I read where an owner added a seat belt to the other bench seat in the dinette setup. The View in my opinion, looks more cramped inside. Also at around 20 grand more, it doesn't make sense. IMO
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:48 PM   #5

The place I had the quote from was RvDirect, and they had a number of pickup locations - Iowa and MN are appealing to me due to no mountain passes. I noticed the storage being top notch. Ha - I don't run generators, play loud music etc. to bother others, and we have lots of isolated campsites in MT anyway. I'm a huge baseball fan (many of my vacations have revolved around baseball), and I like the occasional cigar - and I find a deck or awning setting to be the next best thing to actually being there.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #6

It's been hard to find the perfect sprinter for a family of 5, and I know they're probably meant for couples - but I find them very appealing. I wonder if it would be possible to have some sort of electric raising headrest bed like the new Outback travel trailers have for more passenger options, with a sort of large belt/bar, I know, probably crazy. I do like the folding ottomans on the View tables for sleeping extensions, I hope more ideas like these keep coming. I wish the Solera offered one of the comfortable U-dinettes like the competition. I saw an electric bed drop-down over the cab bed offered in a Winnebago Trend, it made me wonder about having something like that over the corner bed for even more sleeping. The low profile Coachman Prisms would be a strong family contender if they had some sort of electric drop down bunk up front.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #7

The video is definitely outdated. The lady in the video now manages Orlando RV. RVdirect lists the options that are available now. The LE package is now standard.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #8

Moooog

I ordered my Solera from RVdirect and received it from the dealer ship out of Des Moines. I did have a problem with a CO/Propane detector which they replaced with no problem. My wife and I took our 2 grand daughters on vacation last year and the Solera handled us nicely. We just added swivel seats which should add to the comfort of the seating I understand that the newer Solera's come with the swivel seats. As for the sofa the space where the dinnett is, is 68" wide I don't know if that can handle 3 people or not. Good Luck.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #9

hey thanks everyone, that pretty much answers all my questions and puts my mind at ease, I think I'll pull the trigger very soon - after months of searching!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:41 PM   #10

I looked at both models and chose the Solera 24R as it offered more value for the dollar. Just could not see the higher price for the Winny. Is usually just me and my lovely spouse but just had a two nighter with one of our daughters and 3 grandkids and was cozy but worked just fine. All had a great time. We did not have gk ride with us as they met us at the park but two of them rode home with us. The jacknife sofa has 3 seatbelts.
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #11

I'm actually considering it to be a sort of SUV replacement - our Chevy Trailblazer xt only gets 14mgp, and has very little storage space, but I also figure that it is sort of a jack of all trades that will also work for short camping trips. I have looked at numerous listings, and still am unsure on the sofa options. Is the 3 seatbelt jackknife available on both the S and the R? Does the 2 belt sofa fold out into anything? Do both Sofas have the same table? How long can someone travel comfortably while sitting in the dinette, it doesn't look like it would work for much more than dining to me.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #12

i was going to buy my 2nd solera from RV DIRECT TOO ,, till i found this
New 2015 2150 Class C Diesel motorhome w Slide Out 2014 Mercedes Benz Chassis | eBay

i think this the 2150 prism with lot of better options than solera
1- bigger coner bed
2- bigger water and propane tannks
3- diesel generator
4- out side TV AND SOUND SYSYTEM
5- comparing to 2010 solera this i see better build quality beter interior design better blinds ..
68k its very cheap .. excellent price we test drove similer one in california they asked 88k

i think its made by forest river too
smggsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:12 PM   #13

It was a strong contender with me, it looks as if they've improved their quality recently, and they had a lot of very good ideas and features in the 2150. I do like the Prism U-Dinette, and I love the outdoor entertainment system, but the Solera gives you so many outstanding options and upgrades as standard - at a great price.

Mostly, I just don't like how the 2150 looks inside or out - I think the quality is not bad, but it looks more basic than the Solera. It may just be my personal preference, but the Solera is very attractive. Additionally, you can get body paint which is not even an option on the 2150. I also don't care for the platinum look inside on the latest model - very little contrast inside. I think the Solera's cabinetry, bathroom, wash basin, etc. simply look better. I do think they've thought things out well with the Coachmen - the safety net on the overhead bunk is a good example, but the Solera looks to have about the largest and best overhead bunk out there.

From specific examples I have seen that I think are fairly important with regards to craftmanship, I am quite comfortable that Solera is very good on quality details that one might not even notice without them being pointed out. I just don't have the same information or confidence in the Coachmen. I just feel at this point in time, the Solera is offering better quality, details, and curb appeal vs. the Coachmen 2150 - and it is a RV I think I would be happy with - and proud of - for quite some time.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Lots of great advice here. I'll add my biased 2 cents from the factory.

1. so my first comment is that we have this nice forum (not ours) with a factory rep (me) that is here just about every day answering questions. So nice, that smggsm is often here touting the prism. In his defense he was comparing 2010's and we've come a long way since then. Theirs has stayed pretty much the same (other than the gray interior...that I also don't care for)

2. The video your saw is woefully outdated.

3. The SE package is now standard. (frameless windows, swivel leather seats, LED lights, GPS, etc, etc)

4. Winnie sales guys always try and say their quality is superior to justify the super high pricing. However they still use wood under the fiberglass. We use Azdel composite. Higher R-value, noise reduction, no Formaldehyde, no wood rot, half the weight.

5. 24S Sofa has 3 seatbelts. it is a jackknife so it turns into a small bed. Has a table.

6. To offer an outside TV, we would have to take from the inside. Small unit, storage is at a premium. Especially with all the great bluetooth speakers available.

7. In regards to the prism. The prism LE is their entry level model, boxy style. We used to build like that until we realized most people buying the Mercedes Sprinter wanted a few more features and amenities. We use a stainless steel sink, not plastic, all glass LED lights, soft touch vinyl ceiling, glass shower doors, frameless windows, power awning with LED strip, etc. etc. They put the back up camera in the radio to save a little dough, our radio has navigation so we put the back up camera in the rear view mirror so we can have both screens running instead of going back and forth. They have no range cover, we offer a flush mounted glass cover, under mount sink with flush sink cover,

8. we do offer the diesel gen. That is dictated by supply by Onan...not by our choose (if they can supply it we offer it. When they can't we don't)

8. Prism is built by Forester River...but its the Coachmen division. Its sort of a sibling rivalry. For now, we outsell them 2 to 1. (not that that helps with your decision...but it seems more people end up buying the Solera)

I could go on and on. We've added a few nice touches since the brochure came out. Working on a revised brochure, but it will be another month yet.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:37 PM   #15

We love our 2015 24R! Drive it almost every weekend around town to run errands. The floorplan works great for my wife and I plus our kids (4 year old and a infant). It has plenty of room for all of us sleeping and traveling. I think the big advantage to the 24R floor plan is the rear queen bed. The downside is that there's no room for an adult to sleep while driving. We choose the dinette option due to having car seats. If it was just the two of us I probably would have gone with the sofa.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #16

I'm sold, my main concern was whether I should wait a year to see if a few important options to me show up. I've researched all of the Sprinter's, and most of the competitors used comparisons that seemed to be from talking points, and often touted differences that frankly sounded silly. I think every difference you have pointed out is very valid and significant. I appreciate all the info on options, as I have no way to see a sprinter other than a View without travelling several states away. I have packed along portable speakers and satellite dish's in the past, and it was a pain in a small tt, but in the Solera I could leave a speaker in the abundant storage full time. Only question left, if I order a bracket, how do you properly get the signal to it from the receiver? Would either the bedroom or bunk tv easily transfer? A 3 belt sofa with twin end recliners would be cool, but I know there probably is no such thing that would turn into a sleeper, or even fit. Thanks again for this great site.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #17
Commercial Member

bedrooom TV mounts on the exact same style bracket that could go on the outside wall. Right next to the entry door is a an outlet and a coax connection. We wire for a TV on all models.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #18

I wonder why nobody is mentioning the solid roof of the Solera compared to those flimsy rubber roofs of the competition - for me a major selling point!

And for me the 24R was the best choice ever - and I say that after 1 1/2 years ownership and 16000 miles...and since I bought they added more nice things!
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #19

I think you get the best bang for the buck with the solera
It took me and my wife a year to decide, checked all the comp, lots of walking thru units and test drives
Once the painted unit came in we were sold

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #20

We bought our Solera from RV Direct in Des Moines and were happy with the transaction. (And we LOVE our Solera!!)

Tags
solera