Old 09-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #1

Mobil1 ESP 5W30

Anyone running Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 in their Solera 3.0L diesel? If so, how has it performed?

Old 09-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #2

Go to First Oil Change for more info @ 1st oil change

Old 09-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #3

See other threads on this forum for a discussion on the MB spec. 51 oil required in your Sprinter.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #4

Pretty sure that's what's in mine.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #5

The oil is most important, because of the specific oil needs for the DEF system, to prevent DPF (diesel particulate filter) fouling, which my guess is an expensive part. I have looked around and most chain oil change places do not carry the spec .51 oils. Simply because there is low demand for the oil. Do not put non MB Spec. 51 in your diesel. IMHO.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #6

My original post is referencing Mobil1 ESP Formula M 5W30 / 229.51.
I guess I should have been more specific. 229.51 is a must, but my question was concerning the viscosity; 5W30 which is readily available in my area. If anyone has been using 5W30/ 229.51, I would be interested in finding out how satisfied they were with its performance (consumption, fuel efficiency etc).
Old 09-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #7

The issue here is "if" you have engine problems within the warranty period. In that case, it would become the responsibility of the owner, who choose to either DIY, or go to a non MB dealer, to show through the documentation, that you fulfilled the requirements under MB's warranty. If you cannot demonstrate through the record, that you used the recommended oils, they may, and can deny coverage for the nesessary repair. It is truely is that simple.

I had that exact same issue with a VW I owned. They were physically stunned (jaw dropped) when I produced my oil change records showing the "exact" oil VW called for. Vehicle was three weeks in the shop, for a major engine failure/rebuild. Covered in full. The service writer actually said "the've never seen a customer, at their dealership, produce records for every oil change within the mileage requirement before" They also said they would have denied warranty coverage, if not for the records. So IMHO, if you do not follow MB's specs to the letter, you might be in for an unnessary fight.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #8

Mobile 1 ESP Formula M 5W30 / 229.51 is by the MB oil chart suitable. I also keep good records on the servicing I perform so the warranty issue does not concern me. I would just like to know if 5W30 has been used by anyone and are they happy. Thanks much for all of the other info.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #9

If the Sprinter motor calls for that viscosity, your golden. If it doesn't, not sure why you would change. IMHO.