Old 07-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #21
2012 Solera

Converted in May of 2012. Think LEDs are a lot cheaper now. Mine have worked well - no complaints or failures after a year (over 60 nights camped). Also, with these LEDs and my "home-brew" dimmers no radio or TV interference. Believe the LEDs I used for halogen replacements were 3200 Kelvin color temp - so called "warm white".

From my post at that time:

Just finished (unless I missed some) replacing the interior lights on my Solera with LEDs. Replaced 19 halogens and two pure incandescents (stove vent light and light in overcab area). I used "Tower Type G4 15 LED Warm White" bulbs from Amazon to replace the 19 halogens ($8.49 each); T10 LED 194 Wedge bulbs Dash Dome Light 105 Lumen White bulbs also from Amazon to replace the two incandescents ($6.55 each). I also "invented" a two stage dimmer for the over dinette and the over bed "reading" lights (double throw switch which switches a resistor in series with the LED lights in one position). Have camped with the halogen replacements several days - without hookups - nice and easy on the batteries; very acceptable light. Very low current draw when only using the "dimmed" bulbs - <200 ma for both sets of lights. With the switches and a few spare LED bulbs, ~$200.

JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #22

2006 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab 5.9L Cummins 4X4 200k mls
2010 Forest River Flagstaff 831QBSS - Equal-i-zer Hitch
2011 HD FatboyLo & 2000 Honda Shadow 1100
Nights Camped 2010 (7), 2011 (15), 2012 (35) 2013 (40) 2014 (22) 2015 (12) 2016 (10) 2017 (?)
troyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #23

Thanks for the input guys, I'll check it out from here.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #24
GM

OK...nice list to work from for the next Solera model year....A few questions and comments.

1. What shower nozzle seems to be the most "widely used" I seem to recall a post a while back on an oxygenics or something. Pic/model? I've been looking at asking for an upgrade. I wonder if we can reach a consensus?

2. I'll see about getting memory foam built into the mattress. I'm a huge fan.

3. Would "thinner" but better foam on the cushions maybe make sense across the board?

4. Charging station. How many of you see validity in this? Personally, my family is all over the place so one station would not help much. We have however looked at outlets that have one 110v outlet with one USB outlet. USB would obviously run off of 12v...so works either way. Maybe having at least one location like this would be beneficial even if you decide to use others.

Over a year ago I contact Keurig about getting us an OEM model so that we could include them as an option or standard in some models. Again..I was an early adopter and loved them. One at home, one at office, one to my mom as a gift. They did not seem interested.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #25

BClemens:

1. Oxygenics or similar head that reduces water volume. I don't have one yet, but understand they save water without a sense of reduced spray.
2. Our 24M has a "fairly nice mattress" to which we added a 2" topper - very comfortable, and adds very little weight. Don't know how this would work out with the OEM manufacturer adding it?
3. Can't speak to this - our 24MS doesn't have a dinette!
4. Charging station: There are 110V outlets available with built-in USB port. A couple of these would be a nice addition if installed in well-placed outlets.

(As for the MS - returning to headrests on the recliners would be welcome. Our coach even had a sticker warning about the headrests when lowering the bed - but there were no headrests. Still want to order them (found an automotive upholster who would do the needed install), but that's for later - don't want to do without the coach until camping season's over!!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #26

DebbieMH:
See what you've started?
Popular thread - even bclemens is on board - fortunate for future buyers, rest of us will just have to make do on our own!

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #27

BClemens ...

Here's my two cents.

1). Here is the link of the Oxygenics one I purchased from Campers world. Haven't actually used it yet, but the spray that comes out is a lot more pressure than previous shower head ... so I think it will be wonderful.
Body Spa RV Shower Kit - White - Oxygenics 26781 - Shower - Camping World

2). Memory foam in the mattress would be a good addition. I bought a topper from BB&B and it works quite well.

3). Maybe thinner foam on the back cushions, but not on the bottom cushions, and if you made those two thinner, it wouldn't make into a bed because you use all four cushions to make a bed out of the dinette.

4). Charging station would be nice, but more strategically placed outlets would be just as good. As one by the table and one on the wall by the sink (instead of overhead).

Additional things ... sway bar and replacing the Magnadyne with a Kenwood unit
Old 07-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #28
GM

We've looked at USB charging stations on multiple occasions. For each one...a Duplex 110v outlet was changed to a single 110v outlet and a USB outlet. I don't think we wanted to give up a 100v outlet. Be better if we can just add some additional USB ones.

I've asked about the sway bar. We don't think MB will let us do it. I'll keep pushing.

Magnadyne has been working for some after the updates...but we are researching other options as well. The M4 has some features other radios don't have...we're trying to figure out some alternative methods to provide the same functions.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
DebbieMH:
See what you've started?
Popular thread - even bclemens is on board - fortunate for future buyers, rest of us will just have to make do on our own!

Very true! But I'm sure threads like this is what got us some of the changes that we enjoy. Look at it this way, with all these cool mods we are doing, each unit is unique and specifically "ours"!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #30
2012 Solera

Bryan - You continue to amaze me with your conscientious involvement in this forum. Thank you!!

Except for the shower head (we have been satisfied with the stock one so far), I believe these are all mentioned in my posts above - so -

-Memory foam on top of the current mattress is quite nice. The 6 inch one we use does bring the level of the bed up to about even with the bottom of the "Emergency escape" window. Still fully accessible, but could not go any thicker. Also raises the effective bed height by the same 6 inches. Makes climbing in harder - but as mentioned above we cut away the bathroom wall, so okay for us.

-Trade-off on the cushions is obviously when using dinette as a bed (We never use the dinette bed option.) The backs don't need much padding to be comfortable as a seat - we sit on our buts, just need some support when leaning back - but the back cushions when put down to form a bed need to be the same thickness as the bottom cushions. My recommendation would be to have the backs behind the cushions upholstered (thinly) so those of us who are "thicker around the middle" can use the dinette without the back cushions (essentially what I did). The back cushions fit in the over-cab area nicely in front of the mattress up there for storage. Not sure making everything thinner would work well for the bed option.

-I find we now use our electronic "toys" - Kindles, iPad, phones - on their own batteries. I only use the laptop "plugged in" now days - batteries have improved recently. I originally thought I would put "cigarette lighter" 12 volt ports in several locations - over the dinette, at the lavatory sink, and at the head of the bed, in addition to the one I did just over the 120V outlet above the back of the driver seat. Turned out the one "station" I put in - with two USB ports and one "cigarette lighter" port (for stuff not compatible with USB or for another USB adapter as needed) - usually is sufficient. When it isn't, I add a "Y" and another 2 USB ports to the TV 12 volt outlet - we charge stuff when we go to bed, so the TV is usually off. Haven't bothered to install the others. Cell phone chargers are quite low draw; the iPad charger can be more significant - but has not been a problem.

Again, many thanks for your involvement here!!

JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote