Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #121

I would consider the ones that fit the front and side cab windows from the inside. It literally takes less than one minute to secure your privacy. Very handy when pulling into a Walmart for your overnite in the rain! JMO.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
I would consider the ones that fit the front and side cab windows from the inside. It literally takes less than one minute to secure your privacy. Very handy when pulling into a Walmart for your overnite in the rain! JMO.
We have both - for different uses. The inside silver one we use to keep out the heat/sun when parked at our house, or use it when we are staying in a campground for one night. We use the outside one for longer stays - both work well.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
And that makes good sense. That's when we use the inside curtain that came with the Solera.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #124
Keith

do you know the model no. of the Kenwood Unit with the Garmin GPS?
I am picking up my 24S model next week and I know I'll want that mod (after the tire minder and surge guard)

thanks much

Keith
2010 Solera S
Squeezer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #125

Keith

I have the Kenwood DNX6990HD. That has the Garmin GPS, HD DVD player for the TV.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #126

Ok here is a mod for the Murphy Beds. Went to Harbor Fright and got a 3x5 cargo net. Using some D –rings, small wire keepers and longer screws I placed two on head board, three down each side and three on the foot end. Once in place you can make up the bed stretch the net in place then let the bed up and down without covers getting in the lift racks. To stow the net when the bed is in use I just push it down between the mattress and headboard. Don’t ask where the D-rings came from because I don’t remember I just had them. LOL!! It’s takes a little time to stretch the net out but it works. We use it with sheet and lite blanket don’t know if it will work with a thick comforter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6774.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	49184   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6776.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	49185   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6778.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	49186   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6775.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	49187  
pinkstonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #127
Needs Help

So far I have installed...
Two Fantastic Vents
Helwig Sway Bar
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C
New valve stems and TPMS
Sani-Con Macerator

I also carry a cordless drill and plenty of screws, crimp connectors, zip ties and command strips. I can see this will be an ongoing process.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #128

My latest addition - I missed a ladder to go up on the roof and hated to drill holes: (24R)
EN131 Std. 12.5Ft Aluminum Telescopic Tel escoping Ladder Extension Exte nd Loft - Telescoping Attic Ladder - Amazon.com
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #129

Fun

This is Debbie's old tread. She was all about fun. Hope she is still living the good life.
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
Palmyra,VA
MountainTrippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #130

We have:
Full Cover, fitted windshield cover with vents, electric grill, grill table, various interior cabinet organizers and hooks, and additional towel bar. We are also getting the sway bar, a really awesome 1UpUSA bike rack, and a key hook/letter holder to hang by the door. We are also going to have a metal frame welded to go under the other dinette bench seat so that we can tether an additional seatbelt on the opposite side. Our kids hate sitting next to each other (they like to play cards and games), and instead of one of them not being seatbelted at all, that will be better than nothing.

I also love the mod of the washer/dryer in the back outside storage compartment - can't wait to talk the DH into that one!
Old 07-04-2014, 08:01 PM   #131

I've been following this thread for a while and finally decided to write down the modifications/improvements that we have made to our 2013 24S. I'm very much surprised at the length of our list. Here is what we have done so far in no particular order:
- MaxxAir powered vent cover in the main living area
- Outside vinyl windshield and cab side window cover
- Inside insulated windshield and side window covers
- Porch light with motion detector
- Insect screens for all utility vents
- Rotating metal wastewater roof vent cover
- Portable 7" RV GPS (the dash mounted stock unit is not easily used due to sun glare and poor positioning relative to the driver)
- MaxxVent powered vent with remote over the bed
- Grill guard with PIAA fog lights (almost a requirement in the PNW due to fog and deer)
- StowAway II cargo box
- Metal valve stems and tire pressure monitoring system
- Scangage II
- Moved the wastewater outlet from the inside to outside while I figure out where and how to mount a Sani-Con macerator
- TV swivel mounted to the end of the stock mount
- Blu Ray player
- Jack antenna
- Hellwig rear sway bar
- SumoSpring spring assist for the rear axle
- Passenger seat swivel adapter
- Passenger seat base metal door lockable "safe door" making that space a bit more secure against smash and grab
- Oxygenics shower head
- Trimetric battery monitoring system
- Stovetop protector/cutting board
- Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C surge protector
-Solar charging system (in progress...still collecting components)
- This last one is not physically attached to our Solera but it does contribute to the overall condition...we had a RV carport built to keep her out of the rain (tried a cover but with the wind we get here on Whidbey Island didn't work as good as we wanted)

We are still looking for the perfect (light weight, easy to install, not too expensive and durable/dependable) leveling/stabilization system...haven't found it yet but the Bullseye system noted in the July issue of Motorhome magazine might be it. Has anyone heard of it or better yet has one and can recommend it?
devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:33 AM   #132
2012 Solera 24S

Here's my list for our 2012 24S:

- MaxxAir II vent cover for fantastic fan in the main living area
- EZ Curtain inside cab and side window cover
- 8" Tablet to run GPS and other RV apps
- Metal extended valve stems and TST tire pressure monitoring system
- UltraGauge
- Increased size of wastewater bulkhead to 6" with clear elbow
- Jack antenna
- Hellwig rear sway bar
- Oxygenics shower head
- Xantrex Prowatt 600 watt inverter and transfer switch
- Xantrex Linkpro battery monitoring system
- 32" 1080p TV
- Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C surge protector
- Progressive Dynamics PD9260C converter and Charge Wizard
- Mod to allow filling fresh tank from city water connection or pump from winterizing valve
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #133

devilsquid which rotating vent cover are you using. Did it eliminate the odors?
13larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13larry View Post
devilsquid which rotating vent cover are you using. Did it eliminate the odors?
I'm using the Xtreme Vent (22-0540) by AP Products. I don't remember exactly where I ordered it from (maybe Amazon) but you can see it on www.rvupgrades.com web site. We really didn't have any odor escaping into the inside but an ounce of prevention is how I operate. I did observe the vent rotating to face into a light wind while sitting still as designed which gives me high hopes that this one really does work. A friend has the plastic one that you can get at Camping World and says that while sitting still it does not rotate without a substantial wind blowing. Hope this helps.
devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #135

No longer a "rookie" we start our 2nd year of travels in our 2013 Solera 24R tomorrow. We would not have survived without the Forest River Forum. Thanks to all of the contributors who saved our sanity. As a small payback, here's a couple modifications we made to enhance our RVing experience. -- Solera Rookie

Custom made memory foam mattress topper & sheets that fold easily with the mattress.

Put 4 drawers from the Container Store in the hanging clothes closet that fit and slide perfectly. Solved the clothes storage problem.

Installed Helwig sway bars that we learned about from the Forum.

Purchased backup stabilizer remote because we figured we would be stranded if we lost the original (which we have the tendency to do)

Purchased windshield inside sun reflectors and privacy screen made for the Sprinter.

Plus many other common sense modifications/enhancements.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1404769568.679164.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	783.4 KB
ID:	57511Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1404769595.580443.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	712.4 KB
ID:	57512

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #136

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Retirement Mod! Need to buy 10 years early retirement option!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #137

We've only had our 2014 Solera 24R for 2.5 month, so we still haven't figured out our needs. We did add a Hellwig sway bar, which has helped a lot.

We are getting ready for our first long trip of 9 days, so today I put plastic drawers in the wardrobe for my kids to store their clothes. They will work for this trip, but I think I'd like to do someone different eventually.

I also did my first on-my-own mod today. I used Command bungee hooks to hang fishing poles from the ceiling of the rear storage compartment. I'm sure it's e first of many things that will make things easier.
wendylys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #138

Solera Rookie, thanks for posting the pictures. We are really excited about picking up our 24R this week. Would you mind telling me where you purchased the custom mattress topper and sheets and what are the dimensions. Thanks, Suzan
Suzasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #139

Suzasus: all of the info you requested is on file in our home in Missouri. We are touring Michigan all of July so we won't be able to help for a couple weeks. We purchased the memory foam topper 2" thick, the same dimensions as the flat mattress with rounded corners. They made a fitted mattress cover (removable & washable), and fitted sheets for the topper only. All we remember is the internet company is in Colorado. The company had exceptional service & quality. Give us a shout out if you need more info when we return. Solera Rookie

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-25-2014, 10:44 AM   #140

This is great!I pick up my new Solera Tuesday and love all the great information here. Thanks to all who post! ;-)
WilliamStinson is offline   Reply With Quote