Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #241

Perfect timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeboone View Post
I secured my range cover with a couple of bungee cords and used pipe foam to secure the microwave plate.
That is the ONLY thing that makes a noise in ours on some roads. I am doing that mod while on vacation! Thanks!
kysunseekermbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #242

2013 Solera 24S changes:

*Bilstein Shocks
* Hellwig swaybar
*Sumo springs
*Tire pressure kit to read from dash.
*Longer metal tire stems.
*New bathroom sink faucet since handle on original kept falling off. Love the new one!
*New water pump with much better water pressure! Will keep old one as back up if needed.
*Side Cameras
*New tires. Not totally needed at the time, BUT when the tire dude was putting on new metal stems he saw that one of the inside duals had been CUT between the two tires, and the area was bulging. It had to have been cut purposely at the factory to be where it was. It would have never shown if we hadn't have put new stems on. Husband was right there and saw it. We were leaving for our almost 6,000 mile trip to New York and a blowout would not have made us happy.
*Heavy 30 amp surge protector for outside power hookup.
*Storage box between driver and passenger seat, yet we can step on it when getting up to go to the back.
*Put a sliding shelf under the kitchen sink and one inside the deep, left front cupboard in the entertainment center. Have hooks to keep them from out sliding while driving. Both lined with laminate. Also lined shelves under bathroom sink with laminate.
*Add power outlet under kitchen sink for coffee pot and toaster. Works great with slide out.
*Added power outlet to one seat at table for easy laptop use, iPad and battery chargers.
*Put push lights in closet, pantry, and under kitchen sink.
*Made six hook coat rack (three with each having two hooks) and put right inside door behind passenger seat. Have a few Command Hooks near bathroom for towels, and made a couple over the door hooks for closet.
*Four inch foam top on mattress.
*The fold out "kitchen counter top" wasn't holding up (screws were stripped) so we made another one that is a bit larger and stronger.
*Made a floor extension for over the stairwell for more space. It folds up for when not in use.
*Extension rod from Walmart that fits from front to back (close to wall) of shower to use as a place to hang wet things.
*New shower head.
*Painted PVC pipe to hold shower door so it doesn't come out of the track while driving, and one to hold it open while driving. The one for open use also works great as a toilet paper holder. Just place it up higher. :-)
*Made "holders" for bottled soap or sprays for bathroom sink counter, under kitchen sink counter, and in shower.
*Put two hooks near end of bed to hold Oxygen Concentrator in place with bungee cord while driving.
*Paper towel holder.
*Made Cup Holder for driver. It stands high enough for driver to reach cup without having to bend down to holder in the door. It can also be folded down to the floor to be out of the way when not needed.
*Put black towels on dash to block glare and reflection. Really helps when taking photos through windshield.
*Covered dining seats with a thick towels to protect the vinyl fabric. The original cover had a tiny break so wanted to protect it.
*Added door bar outside passenger door area.
*Added DISH TV and hooked up Sirius Radio.
*Put TV on wall by bed.
*Bolted a safe "somewhere".
*Made a folding stand to set the BBQ grill on, plus it has been used as an end table for drinks while sitting outside.
*Hung a digital clock with day/date/temperature by bed and above microwave. Just bought an outdoor thermometer, but haven't used it yet. Wanted to see how cold it was at night while in Yellowstone, but we didn't buy it until we got home.
*Put a doorstop at the bottom of the bathroom sink cabinet to keep the bathroom door from banging into the counter. Had to put a block of wood to extend it as needed.
*Bought great window shields that fit perfectly for windshield and side door windows to keep the sun out.

Have done a few other things, but not worth mentioning. :-)
Old 10-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #243

I added rear bumper back-up motion sensors; a magazine rack on wall next to dinette, screen door grille & handle, solar panel on roof, rear night vision camera, DISH on roof, Hellwig stabilizer, memory foam topper and custom front captain seats with heat, massage, power lumbar and swivel.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:30 AM   #244

Added a surface mount outlet on the wall next to the dinette. Has a cord that plugs into the outlet at the head of the top bunk when slide is out and tucks under the cushion for travel.

Handy if you want to use an appliance on the table.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:02 PM   #245

Rear bumper sensors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
I added rear bumper back-up motion sensors; a magazine rack on wall next to dinette, screen door grille & handle, solar panel on roof, rear night vision camera, DISH on roof, Hellwig stabilizer, memory foam topper and custom front captain seats with heat, massage, power lumbar and swivel.
LIKE the idea of the rear bumper sensors....OK, so...

1) What brand?
2) Where did you buy?
3) How much?

Would appreciate info here after "nearly" backing into a tree this morning
while using mirrors AND rear camera!? Anything extra always helps!

Old 10-12-2015, 04:43 PM   #246

I found the bumper motion sensors on EBay; a company called RVPRONET, I believe. I paid $135. for them. With so many cars having this feature these days, it's hard to believe that the RV industry doesn't put them on motor homes.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:48 PM   #247

Quote:
I found the bumper motion sensors on EBay; a company called RVPRONET, I believe. I paid $135. for them. With so many cars having this feature these days, it's hard to believe that the RV industry doesn't put them on motor homes.
Cool beans...thanks for THAT! And yes, the RV industry SHOULD have been offering these a LONG time ago. I've seen tons of bashed ladders, holes punched into the skin, rumpled and rippled this-and-that unless that's how they make their money...repairing bashed in rear ends? Anyway, this is a great idea and maybe BC Clemens will read this one and make a good suggestion to those who need to know?

Again, thanks. Love eBay too! -PB
Old 10-14-2015, 02:07 AM   #248

Yeah, I replaced my ladder before having the rear bumper motion sensors installed. How many of us are backing into tight camp sites at night???
Old 10-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #249
Commercial Member

We've looked at them several times, but they never made all that much sense for motorhomes.

Most of the time there is a tow vehicle. So they would have to be disabled. Then when no tow vehicle, there is a back up camera and the bumper is normally visable.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 02:40 PM   #250

It would be a great design feature if they designed one with an on/off switch or maybe an invention where the wiring/ device was hooked up and attached to towed vehicle rear bumper, like the brake lights. Inventors anyone?????
Old 10-15-2015, 04:53 PM   #251

Quote:
It would be a great design feature if they designed one with an on/off switch or maybe an invention where the wiring/ device was hooked up and attached to towed vehicle rear bumper, like the brake lights. Inventors anyone?????
Dear Mtnlvr and Mr Clemens...a few observations for what it's worth(?)...

Mtn: I agree with what you did and what you said...esp. re backing those behemoths into "any" (really) kind of a space. Even with my BU-cam on my
Solera, and big mirrors it can become a daunting challenge to back up even in daylight. The BU cam DOES NOT cover the rear entirely and without a spotter you risk damage...MANY of you will agree with me here, no matter what!
Again...thanks for the RVProNet lead...mucho appreciated!

BC: I disagree with you on the "most people tow" thought which would invalidate offering the sensors as an option on current models? There are MANY RVr's that I see out there W/O toads and whom refuse to do this anyway because of the safety issues, the cost of it all, the loss of gas mileage, hard to backup...etc, and so on and so forth. Now, I would add these as the FIRST option if I was buying new but in spite of not having them yet am still happy with my used, sensorless 2011 and it's great little Mercedes diesel. I think they should be offered as standard issue on the newer vehicles plus back-up beepers ("look out back there, here I come ready or not!?), or at least with the option and with on\off switches if need be. A lot of newbies, whom I'm thinking of, simply do not realize the challenge of backing these beasts up safely and efficiently. Anyway, that's my respectful 2 pennies and hopefully the powers-to-be will latch onto this idea in the near future (with your help) and start making this an option and our RV's safer yet!! Money SHOULD NOT be the issue here in the production of these sensors. Cheers.

PS: Wait...there's more! BC- I remember you helped with the idea of getting FR to start making the Hellwig sway bar an option, so why not these in the name of MORE safety? Just sayin'...okay, now...CHEERS.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #252

Pixelbum1; Well said!!
I travel solo and do not have a "spotter" for help. Many us us buy the smaller class C's and do NOT tow so we can be spontaneous, park most places and get into the State Parks, smaller spaces.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:17 PM   #253

Ps- my rear bumper, back up motion sensors include a small 2"x3" screen that rests on the left corner of my dashboard. It shows/ flashes how many feet away from contact and which area, while it beeps in reverse.
Old 10-15-2015, 10:01 PM   #254

You have a back up camera that shows you the entire back of the vehicle and the proximity to any obstruction(s) behind you, assuming it's positioned correctly. It boils down to when in doubt, stop the vehicle, get out and walk the perimeter. B Clemens is right, FR has the tools installed for the safe operation (backing up), in that situation IMO.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:50 AM   #255

IMO, a motion sensor is more precise than a back up camera at night.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:57 AM   #256

Quote:
IMO, a motion sensor is more precise than a back up camera at night.
You left off the part about walking the perimeter. This isn't a whats better, the intent was to introduce a method of safe reverse travel, based on the standard equipment offered on FR products. If your waiting for sensors, and the field guy explained FR's current position, your going to hit some stuff waiting on it. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:04 AM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
You left off the part about walking the perimeter. This isn't a whats better, the intent was to introduce a method of safe reverse travel, based on the standard equipment offered on FR products. If your waiting for sensors, and the field guy explained FR's current position, your going to hit some stuff waiting on it. Just sayin'
Wait a min...it's a matter of what is SAFER! I'd bet that you would use the sensors if they were already installed in a unit that you were about to buy or at least consider the option if offered, right? Come on now Kickin!

Mtn brought up another good point that I forgot about and that is re those who travel solo or do not have a spotter available...albeit the walk around that you mentioned is a good one too!

Look, the more safety devices we have on these
wheeled whales, the better and one which could be another SELLING feature for FR's Solera. If anybody could pull this off for future buyers, than it's Mr. Clemens and I hope he listens to the logic. Could save somebody from backing over a kid in their driveway much less the CG. The camera is "OK" but not the final answer, believe us Kickin and please don't rely on it too much! Cheers again...
Old 10-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #258

Still Kickin, Have you ever owned a passenger vehicle with rear bumper sensors? Probably not. I've had them on a couple of my cars and they are a nice safety feature. Yesterday, there was a Class A backing out of a parking lot space next to me and I could hear his rear sensors beep. Obviously, a walk around helps but with all the technology available these days, why not make it an option? Personally, I have known a couple of people who have run over their dogs backing up in their own driveways at night. And even more tragically, a toddler running out of the house to welcome a parent. All additional safety measures should have merit.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:25 PM   #259

Quote:
Still Kickin, Have you ever owned a passenger vehicle with rear bumper sensors? Probably not. I've had them on a couple of my cars and they are a nice safety feature. Yesterday, there was a Class A backing out of a parking lot space next to me and I could hear his rear sensors beep. Obviously, a walk around helps but with all the technology available these days, why not make it an option? Personally, I have known a couple of people who have run over their dogs backing up in their own driveways at night. And even more tragically, a toddler running out of the house to welcome a parent. All additional safety measures should have merit.
My Avalanche has them PLUS the rear vision cam and they BOTH together have prevented many a bump for me on my pristine truck! Kickin' we are not ganging up on you make note...just trying to justify the ends to the means. All good points aforementioned but ours make the most sense () of course, lol!

Take care, drive SAFE(forward and backing!) and have fun...that's what it's all about.

PS: Go for it Mr Clemens...please...
Old 10-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #260

Ps- As I listened, next to me in my campground this morn., the driver and spotter don't always hear or communicate too well with each other....