Old 04-11-2015, 10:42 PM   #11

I already bought a mppv

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 04-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #12

Mppt controller , just wasn't sure what to do about panel.
I wasn't sure if 200 w was enough

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 04-11-2015, 10:58 PM   #13

IMHO the sun would degrade the plastic velcro and cause it's holding power to become less and less.
The panels do get quite warm and should be able to have some ventilation under them. I have 6 x 100 watt panels screwed to my roof.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #14

I did not trust the adhesion of the dicor roof materials to the osb roof sheathing for securing panels. I have seen this roofing bubbled on a couple trailers driving down the highway. I Used screws with sealant liberally applied to the threads. As the screws pulled the brackets down to the roof the sealant squeezed out between the roof and the Renogy brackets and under the screw heads.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #15

Take a foot long piece of velcro, attach the two halves to pieces of wood. Holding the wood by the centers, try to pull them apart. Now, imagine 3 foot long pieces. You will grab one corner of your glass panel an try to separate the panel from the roof. You might try it once! Unless you are certain of the chemistry of the velcro and adhesives try something else. If you mount your panels in line with the length of your unit, the roof will be flat enough. I am in the process of doing the same with two flat panels. I am trying to get the location of the roof trusses. I would then fasten to them. I will get 3' lengths of 2" x 2" x 1/8 aluminum angle and after running a bead of aluminum silicone fasten the panels to the roof. If I cannot utilize the trusses, I will use expansion toggle bolts through the wood and fiberglass materials. I did this on my last rig and 10 years later they're still solid. Overkill? Maybe, but When I imagined a panel flying off and through a windshield, I did it my way.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #16

good overkill GerryW. I visited the factory and they use 48" wide roof panels thus the trusses were on 24" centers.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:56 AM   #17

My mistake. I looked at the pics and they were 16" OC
Old 04-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #18
2010 Forest River Solera

I bought a Renogy 100 Watt Suitcase panel and converter. I can move it to where there is sun, even when I park the coach in the shade. Plus, can move around to find full sun. No messing with the coach roof. My problem is that the Solera vehicle battery is under a panel in from of the driver's seat - and a pain to hook up to for jump-starting (left my lights on) .
So am wondering if there is a way to connect to positive and negative from a more accessible point? Anybody know of a solution for this inconvenient battery placement, and a better way to hook up the terminals for my suitcase solar panel??

Ron, Debra & Foxy
2010 Forest River Solera - Diesel
Ron, Debra & Foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #19

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...1&d=1429370731

If you install your panels front-to-rear and not left-to-right, you shouldn't have a problem with the curvature of the roof.
IMHO, give some long thought to the Velcro approach. The panels WILL get very warm and you do not want to transfer that heat to your roof, especially if you have a rubber mat. The temp of the panels is also inversely proportional to their output. Mine are mounted with screws on the mounts that came "designed" to mount them. I really don't think there is that much difference in output weighed against the trouble and potential problems associated with climbing on the roof and partially removing panels to get a better angle.
With screwed down mounts, it's once and done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Product 6 x 100 watts.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	74588  
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldGThomas View Post
I bought a Renogy 100 Watt Suitcase panel and converter. I can move it to where there is sun, even when I park the coach in the shade. Plus, can move around to find full sun. No messing with the coach roof. My problem is that the Solera vehicle battery is under a panel in from of the driver's seat - and a pain to hook up to for jump-starting (left my lights on) .
So am wondering if there is a way to connect to positive and negative from a more accessible point? Anybody know of a solution for this inconvenient battery placement, and a better way to hook up the terminals for my suitcase solar panel??
Not sure if you could use it to hook up solar, but Sprinters have jump start terminals in the engine compartment...

Dave

Tags
roo, roof, solar