Old 12-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #1

More tail/marker light issues

I started a new thread here as the previous ones on this subject are several pages back. I am 1200 miles away from home in my 2012 Solera Motorhome. The tail/marker lights are inoperative. I studied the previous posts on the subject, got out my tools and located the double secret hidden circuit board in the sewer/electric compartment.

There is 12 volts going into the tail/marker input, but nothing coming out. All the fuses check good with a continuity tester. I could not find a dealer in NC that would research the part availability and price for me. RV Outlet Mall 1200 miles away in Georgetown TX says they can obtain a new board next week for $198 plus tax plus $20 for shipping. I think that is ridiculous. This item seems quite failure prone. When I get back to TX, I hope to install something more reliable.

As a temporary work-around, I purchased a 7 pin RV plug and connected the aux power pin to the tail/marker pin with a 10 amp inline fuse. When I plug this in to the trailer connector on the RV, the tail/marker lights illuminate. I will use this temporarily until I get back to TX.

Has anybody out there come up with a more reliable replacement board? All this thing has on it is a few relays, fuses, and connectors. I suspect the tail/marker relay is not designed for continuous duty. That probably works OK on a Ford or Chevy chassis where the tail/marker lights are not powered with the daytime running lights. In the case of the Sprinter chassis, the tail/marker lights are powered continuously.

When I find a more permanent solution to the problem, I will post it. Meanwhile I am really disappointed in Forest River's response to this issue. It is a pervasive problem that has not been addressed.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #2

I notice as of my viewing, 56 people have already looked at this post. That's in one day! l think it would be informative to FR, to see how many Solera owners have encountered this problem to date. So please reply with constuctive comments/remedies to this post regarding this issue.

That will help FR understand how much of an issue this might be. If the failure rate is significant, in relation to the number of units sold (see post on that very subject), then FR, understanding the safty aspect of tail lights malfuctioning, due to a possible overloading issues to the board's circuitry, because of the MB's requirement of "all on all the time", might indicate corrective action in this situation.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
GM

I can tell you I haven't seen a rash of issues. I have asked our guys for some additional information...see if they're seeing an increase or if there is a new part. we're substituting.

As for being disappointed in FR's response. You have to realize this is not a FR board. This is a 3rd party board that a few of us monitor to help out. The "official" channel would be to contact your dealer. If there is official information (recalls, TSB's, etc) that would be sent to the dealer directly so they can troubleshoot your issue. If I get a hold of that info I will post it here, but not in an official capacity.

There is also a chance we don't have additional info or haven't been able to recreate the problem. Either way, I'll dig in a little bit and see what I can come up with.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #4

More tail/marker light issues

I had the same trouble with the 2010 solera tail and marker light, just stop working. I took it to MB dealer he found and fixed the problem. The problem leaded to the fuse box under the steering column where the Sams (main computer ) located.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
John

I have a 2010 sold as an 11 and have this problem it's been to the dealer several times,
I paid an independent, Meyers Rv in Torrance
CA. $200 and they did nothing except lie to me.
My MB dealer couldn't fix it. So I have a $ ?70000 rv I can only drive in the daytime.
It there a fix ? It "seems" to be a relay on the board in the sewer connection bay.

John
SoCal Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
GM

Our engineers have tried to recreate the issue here. Have you called Forest River directly?
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
John

Thanks for the fast reply...
You can't call they don't publish a number.

John
Old 01-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
GM

PM me your name, email, phone & VIN. I'll see what I can do.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:36 AM   #9

SoCal Solera & BClemens:

I wrote the initial post in this thread. I have not yet pulled my relay panel (the one in the sewer/power cord compartment) but the problem continues. Unfortunately I do not have access to my motorhome at the moment. If It was here I would post a photo of my "workaround device" I described above. I have driven several thousand miles since the problem began and I have used this device a number of times to supply power to the tail and marker lights. It is, of course , not a permanent solution but it always works and it cost me about 15 bucks to make.

The light malfunction is ongoing and intermittent. There is no loose connection as the lights never flicker or dim. They either illuminate or they don't. Also there is no grounding issue or else my method of back feeding the circuit would not work. The intermittent break in continuity is somewhere in the relay panel.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:02 AM   #10
John

Lowandslow, all,

I've had this problem for over a year when it was warranty and I've had dealers and independent Rv repair work on it. $200 lost

It is a single relay on the circuit board in the sewer compartment. I've found since it does work sometimes that if the lights don't come on when I start the vehicle I turn it of and try again and lately after 3/4 times I have lights tip I have to turn of the engine the it's hit or miss next time.
B Clemens is looking into it as we type I gave up and have t pursued it
In the last 6 months but would love to have it fixed.

It embarrassing at a starparty with several hundred rv'ers who all know me as I am a vendor of telescopes ( Tele Vue optics ) and I got no running lights.

Lets see what FR says...
John So Cal Solera