Old 03-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #11

Motorbike anyone

I am a 6'4" guy with 36 inseam. I used to have a dual sport Kawasaki KLR650. 400lbs, I believe, reliable, goes anywhere. It is also around $5000 or less for a new one. It can go easily 60miles/hour with two up. I think it is a good option and comparable in price to scooters.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #12

I carry a 260 pound Yamaha 250 dual-sport bike on the hitch on my Solera. Because I often drive off-road to get to camp sites in the desert, I had the hitch beefed up with added supports welded to the hitch. Without the added support, the bouncing caused by driving off-road created so much stress on the hitch that it bent. With the added support I have had no problems.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlton46 View Post
I carry a 260 pound Yamaha 250 dual-sport bike on the hitch on my Solera. Because I often drive off-road to get to camp sites in the desert, I had the hitch beefed up with added supports welded to the hitch. Without the added support, the bouncing caused by driving off-road created so much stress on the hitch that it bent. With the added support I have had no problems.
Good info...I don't plan to off road...but twice the weight & half the bumps will still need some beefing up!
@Norseman...you're right at my size...but I need to carry a second bike for the DW...the family that scoots together etc. etc.....
Thanks for the input.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #14

Hitch beef up

Any chance you could post a photo of you beef up?
Old 03-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #15

The Solera is in storage right now, but I will try to get over and take a photo soon.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #16

I'd like to get the Yamaha TW200 dual sport, I'm a big guy also and just don't think I'd like a scooter. The TW200 has big tires that would work better at the sandy beaches and that's where I'd like to have them.
Mrsp is around $4500

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1394332037.852950.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  24.2 KB
http://cdn01.yamahamotorsports.com/img.jpg?id=13734&w=250
Old 03-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #17

Not bad weight wise & seems well suited for your purposes.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #18
Fulltime family RVer

My dad has a Honda Big Ruckus and loves it. He's not a RV'r. Not a little guy and says it gets up and goes. But they aren't made new any more.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 PM   #19

I think the TW200 is ideal for hauling on a Solera if you want to do some trail riding. They are very solid and reliable and there are lots of used ones that you can find for little $$$$.

I picked up a used Yamaha Riva Scooter that I haul on mine. The previous owner threw a Versahaul rack in with the deal. It's a 125 so fine for short runs to the store and take to a trail head or stuff like that. I've done 50MPH on it and it handles ok. it can go faster but it gets a bit squirrely with the small wheels.

Another scooter I looked at is Piaggio, who is one of the largest scooter companies in the world. They tend to use larger diameter wheels, which makes for better handling.

I thought about something bigger but the 500lb limit on the Solera's receiver ruled out anything big.

A good hitch place can beef up the receiver but having all that weight on the back would likely screw up handling something fierce. for hauling something bigger it might make more sense to put it in front.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #20
'79 Bonneville

motorbike

We have a carrier similar to Lcblick with a 450 lb. 1979 Triumph Bonneville Special for a total hitch weight of about 550 lb. I and a friend with a combined weight of about 400 lb. stood on the carrier with the motorbike on it and tried to shift and bounce our weight to make it flex with a total of about 950 lbs. and it didn't move much so I feel very secure with it. There's a noticeable difference in acceleration and hill climbing ability but no handling problems - hardly notice it's back there at all.

Tags
bike