Old 03-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #1

Motorbike anyone

Is anyone carrying a motorbike, using a hitch carrier? Does it work well driving with 500-600lbs on the hitch?

Old 03-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #2

Yes. I carry a 200 lb. scooter but the carrier is rated for 600 lbs. no issue.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1393858531.283019.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	47092 get the versahaul. Expensive but sturdy.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:44 PM   #3

Nice setup!!
Old 03-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #4

Note that a class 3 setup can carry 500 lbs. tongue weight...including the 100 lbs or so for the carrier. Unless you have a class 4...you will be over the limit with a 5-600lb bike.
Check this out IF you can't take the weight on your tongue. Swivelwheel Trailer – Review | RVSupplyReviews.com
Old 03-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Note that a class 3 setup can carry 500 lbs. tongue weight...including the 100 lbs or so for the carrier. Unless you have a class 4...you will be over the limit with a 5-600lb bike.
Check this out IF you can't take the weight on your tongue. Swivelwheel Trailer – Review | RVSupplyReviews.com
Looks like a good solution. BUT, reading that website, there doesn't appear to be any information on how the weight is distributed. I presume that the single wheel Model58 would distribute the weight equally between the hitch and the wheel. It claims a weight capacity of 1000 lbs -and then you must add the weight of the trailer itself - would surely overload the Solera. Remember, tongue weight is figured into GVWR. Then you also have the problem of weight distribution affecting stability, etc. To me, this isn't a solution for a Solera carrying much more than a scooter - certainly not for a HD or Goldwing. Maybe a four wheel trailer would do. My $.02 worth for Free!!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #6

Ed...what you say makes logical sense to me...but apparently it works a little differently. There is an example of a nearly 700lb Fat Boy in the FAQ of the site as follows:

What kinds of tongue weights should I expect with the Swivelwheel system?
Tongue weights vary with the system and weights associated with that system. An example of a tongue weight using the Swivelwheel-58 system with a 690 pound HD Fat Boy centered on the deck is shown below.
Weights with HD Fat Boy Motorcycle
HD Fat Boy Motorcycle (Centered) 690 Pounds
System Weight 404 Pounds
Weight at the system tire 574 Pounds
Total Weight 1094 Pounds
Tongue Weight 501 Pounds

Swivelwheel Frequently Asked Questions

The OP said he wanted to carry 5-600 lbs on a hydrolift ...so I thought this might be a good alternative for THAT amount of weight. I agree that the 8-900lb bikes might be too much, though a wonder if a non centered load might make even that possible...perhaps with the 2 wheel version. Probably best for the OP to call if this looks like a decent solution to him.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #7

Do you have any info on the scooter? I am considering picking one up.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #8

Mike...I've been heavily shopping for 2 scooters for the last several months. I'm NOT experienced but I've sat on virtually every decent scooter on the market and learned which brands are good quality & good value. We've been focusing on traditional "Vespa" type scooters in terms of look ...vs. the "pocket rocket" more Japanese styling.
Ultimately...one thing I've learned is that one size does NOT fit all...and you really need to sit on them to see if they are comfortable and fit.
Are you looking to get a moped type scooter of <50cc which will not require a license in most places and will go aroune 25-30mph... or something bigger that will go faster (but not superhighways)...or something that will carry 2 at highway speeds or ?????

Here's some links to the quality mfr.'s product brochures... figure around $2k out the door for a quality 50cc scooter from NON chinese factories...somewhere in the 3-4k range for middle cc sized scoots in the 150-200cc range and on up into the 5-7k range for bigger highway scoots for 2.
Kymco Scooters, ATVs, UXV, Upcoming Events, Latest News and Press - KYMCO USA
Sym SYM USA | Models
Genuine Genuine Scooters : America's Favorite Scooter Company
Lance by Sym Lance | Passion to Redefine

Then of course there are the top tier guys...with the top tier prices...Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and Vespa. I will assume you can find those!

The only things that ALL the dealers seem to agree on is "don't buy chinese crap" at "half the price" ... I don't know if that is self serving or not...but even to me...the quality difference in fit and finish seems obvious.

This is also the only big product I've found where dealers are reluctant to move off of MSRP by much at all...AND...almost always add on for freight, prep and documentation...Just today I was quoted $450 over MSRP on a Genuine Stella.
That said...there ARE bargains to be had in 2013 and 2012 models that are identical to the 2014's in some dealers.
This is a great site with a lot of unbiased info: http://www.justgottascoot.com/whichscooter.htm
Hope this helps...yell if I can answer anything further.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #9

Camaraderie, thanks for the great info. I am thinking more in the 200CC range so I can zip to the store if needed. I want to keep it light and small as possible but large enough to get the job done. I currently have an older HD motorcycle that I don't want to cart around. Not because of the weight, I just don't want it stolen or left out in the elements. I think you are on the right track concerning staying away from the China stuff.

Thanks again.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #10

No problem..glad to be of help. Actually...I'm a BIG guy and was looking for something in the same range myself. (+ I have to fit on it) ...but there seems to be VERY little out there in the 200cc range...The Genuine Blur is about the only real 200 out there.
Kymco has the Like200...which is on my radar but REALLY is a 163cc model. Genuine Buddy 170 might be another choice if you're average size.
Genuine is introducing a new model that looks really perky based on the same 170 called the Hooligan...here's an advance look...just a few weeks away I think.
Genuine Hooligan 170i Fuel Injected Scooter
They are also introducing an automatic Stella next week...and the clutch Stella 150's should be marked down for stealing a deal momentarily...all steel scoot...nice.
Vespa 150 has the most room for me of anything under 200cc...but the $4.5k price is way high. BTW...everything I've mentioned weighs LESS than 250.
Good luck on the search!

Tags
bike