Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #21

But did your mileage improve over time? I was told to expect an improvement over time as the engine broke in. My has been at 13 since the first trip.
gb73071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb73071 View Post
But did your mileage improve over time? I was told to expect an improvement over time as the engine broke in. My has been at 13 since the first trip.
It's tough to say, because I didn't take the same trips. Different terrain. All in all, however, I think it did improve at most 1 mpg.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb73071 View Post
Just completed my last trip which put me at 5500 miles on my 2012 Solera. Still only averaging about 13 MPG. Everything I have read says this should be improving by now. My next trip will be in April and will be close to 2000 miles so hopefully it does improve with the price of diesel being so high. Has anybody else seen a noticeable improvement after breaking in the engine on the Solera?
Depending on the way you drive this seems reasonable for the Solara. Our 2011 Solera will get 13-15mpg depending on speed and roads (we try to keep it below 60mph). We're just about to break the 10K mile barrier (and get the service done).

Reiner
Old 05-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #24

Just got back to Oklahoma from California. I now have close to 9000 miles on my 2012 Solera. I kept a close eye on my mileage at each fill up. Best was 15.5 mpg. Worst was 10.9 with almost full tanks and into a heavy wind. Climbing the mountains seemed to even out with going back down so most of my fillups showed in the 14s. Happy with the results as my truck camper used to get 11 so I was pulling over for gas more than I was driving. I am after range and found a website that advertises a 13 gal add on tank for Sprinter motorhomes. Anybody tried to add to their fuel capacity?
gb73071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
Ho, discussion on MPG again ! Good subject !
We were told that the Solera would go 21 MPG on a canadian Gallon even better that the Volks Westfalia we drove for the last 17 years,

The truth ? Best milleage to date is 16,5 MPG on canadian Gallon. Fot those who doesn't know canadian gallon is 20% bigger than the US Gallon. So around 14 on US Gallon.

It's get even lower when we pull our Toyota Corolla which is only 2700 lbs. We get down to 12 MPG but save a lot of fuel using the car to shop around, We even think pushing the Solera with the Corolla , just kidding,

The Sprinter that gets 21 MPG are those with the Sprinter chassis all around like Roadtrek, more aerodynamic, many also use the 2500 with single tires on the rear axle. Have you ever tried to run holding a 4 X 8 plywood sheet in front of you ? Then you will understand what the Solera has to deal with

Remember that the Solera is the biggest machine mounted on a Sprinter frame, I haven't check but it's probably also the heaviest. With a Ford V-10, we would probably go around 10 MPG with a rear wind .

Many people thinks diesel means automaticaly fuel economy and it's not always true. Diesel are designed to get you more power, not fuel economy. I choose the Solera because I had enough of climbing hills at 45 MPH with my 4 flashers on. With the diesel, I can also tow a car and, best of all, I have a motor designed to last at least 500,000 miles and my intention is to put as much on it as I can.

For those who really want to save fuel: Never exceed 50 MPH, over that speed, 80 % of the extra fuel is used to fight the wind and only 20 % to increase your speed.

Surprisengly (do that word exist ?) I also found out I'm doing a better MPG by not using the cruise control and letting the speed drop just a little bit when going uphill and a little bit faster going downhill. Take example on the big semi on the road, there is a lot to learn from them.

Now, I don't calculate my MPG every time. I refuel when my fuel gauge reach 2 or 3 bars. If I have done 250 miles on the tank, I'm happy. If I get just over 200, well, I just look behind my seat at all that extra space, my big bed and my shower and I smile .

I just hope the diesel price will go down now

Pierrôt and Sylvie D'Astous, Solera 2011
38 on 50 states, 9 on 10 provinces.
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #26

We're heading to Florida in a couple of weeks, and we're @ 7,500 miles on our 2012 Solera. Still getting around 14 mpg, and I'm still pleased more would be better of course. Never thought about adding fuel tank for longer range, cause I'm ready to get out and stretch after 200 miles.
Going for the first oil change before we head out, I like these long intervals between changes, also it hasn't burned any oil to this point.
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #27

Well I started this and after 11000 miles many of you are right on.. get between 13 1nd 15 depending on wind, speed, and hills/mountains. Spoke to many with Sprinter camper units of different brands.. some better due to areodynamics.. ours is almost a ft higher than some.. Satisfied with the power and accepting the 13-15mpg; enjoying life along the way. Happy Camping
TNSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #28

I have a 2001 GMC Durmax and used Lucas in my fuel since it was brand new.I get average of 20 mpg. not pulling anything. I have a 2011 Solera and will use Lucas fuel additive in it. I have no problem useing it.
Poppy Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #29

We drove from Louisiana to West Yellowstone. We ended up with 15 mpg. That was driving 55-60mph. Lots of mountains

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #30

My wife and I just took a trip from Riverside California up to Santa Rosa California and averaged in the 14 MPG range, best mileage was 18 in the early morning hours over flat land while the worst was 7.7 MPG in the city of San Francisco, overall we average just a little over 14 MPG. We now have 5733 miles on the unit and when we bought it it came with 2679 miles already on it. After having the dealer correct all the items that we paid to have fixed prior to taking delivery (the reason for dealer prep charges right?) we are now enjoying it. There are still some items needing fixing but we have been promised a quick fix, just after Halley's Comet returns. We use use an IPad app called "Road trip" to log every fill up and expense along with repairs.
N6641 is offline   Reply With Quote