Old 09-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #51

Let's call a spade a spade - the real reason Forest River is no longer making a 24MS is that the Murphy bed is fraught with problems that they cannot fix, otherwise there would be no good reason to terminate production!

Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #52
GM

lol. Really? I think I would know the ins and outs of why we do things since I'm involved in the design. Overall height of the unit dropped 5". Ceiling height dropped 3". Everything on the murphy was designed for a 7' ceiling height. That eliminated the area we needed for the header.

In fact to drop the bunk height a bit (so we did not take too much room from the cab over bed) we actually buy a different chassis version from Mercedes. The cab roof is designed differently (lowered), but I didn't want to create more questions by mentioning that because you can't tell from inside the cab.

If problems were the real reason, we would not have bought (2) previous version Sprinters from another division so that we could build (2) M's (after we said we were no longer going to build the old style) so that we could fill (2) retail orders that dealers had already taken when we announced it. We would have done a 3rd...but unfortunately we could not get any more of the other version chassis.

So in the middle of building the new style, we had to plug in two of the old style to accommodate the orders. Which is no easy feat on a production line building 12-16 a day.

Making those design changes required almost ALL new prints. Which is tons of engineering changes. We knew the Murphy would not work with the revised height and it is also our 3rd best selling floor plan. So we got (2) done in time for our fall dealer show (Mid Sept). We will then look at the Murphy plan to see if there are other options. As I said previously we may also want to incorporate a manual design. We also do not stock a 72" mattress and would not want to stock another mattress for just one floor plan.

Since we're talking about it...we'll also drop the 2900, 3100 & 3120 floor plans from another line. No problems with those...but we just can't keep adding floor plans without taking some of the slower movers out. Those will come out of the brochure...we may be able to build them for a limited time, up until we make any major engineering changes to that line. We won't take the time to update those floor plans after that.

And now you have the rest of the story.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
lol. Really? I think I would know the ins and outs of why we do things since I'm involved in the design. Overall height of the unit dropped 5". Ceiling height dropped 3". Everything on the murphy was designed for a 7' ceiling height. That eliminated the area we needed for the header.

In fact to drop the bunk height a bit (so we did not take too much room from the cab over bed) we actually buy a different chassis version from Mercedes. The cab roof is designed differently (lowered), but I didn't want to create more questions by mentioning that because you can't tell from inside the cab.

If problems were the real reason, we would not have bought (2) previous version Sprinters from another division so that we could build (2) M's (after we said we were no longer going to build the old style) so that we could fill (2) retail orders that dealers had already taken when we announced it. We would have done a 3rd...but unfortunately we could not get any more of the other version chassis.

So in the middle of building the new style, we had to plug in two of the old style to accommodate the orders. Which is no easy feat on a production line building 12-16 a day.

Making those design changes required almost ALL new prints. Which is tons of engineering changes. We knew the Murphy would not work with the revised height and it is also our 3rd best selling floor plan. So we got (2) done in time for our fall dealer show (Mid Sept). We will then look at the Murphy plan to see if there are other options. As I said previously we may also want to incorporate a manual design. We also do not stock a 72" mattress and would not want to stock another mattress for just one floor plan.

Since we're talking about it...we'll also drop the 2900, 3100 & 3120 floor plans from another line. No problems with those...but we just can't keep adding floor plans without taking some of the slower movers out. Those will come out of the brochure...we may be able to build them for a limited time, up until we make any major engineering changes to that line. We won't take the time to update those floor plans after that.

And now you have the rest of the story.

since 2900,3100,3120 are sunseeker numbers what will be replacing them
Old 09-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #54
GM

Nothing yet. Over the past few years we added the 2250, 2500, 3010, 3050 and have deleted nothing. It was finally time to make room in the brochure. We're always working on new floor plans...but nothing to mention at this time.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
Old 09-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #55

Bring back the Ridgeview! that was a smashing success, actually a very nice class c just put together all wrong.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #56
GM

that one is a long story. Just when we got that started, GM went on strike, then government owned and then out of the heavy duty chassis business. Couldn't get enough chassis. Can't really build one at a time down the line. It needed its own line.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #57

my wife and I loved that layout, spent about 2 months fulltime at Disney last year before trading it on the 36CKTS, but that thing had slide issues that really needed to be addressed, it truly was a well thought out idea that was just executed wrong.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #58

come to think of it I seem to be buying all the orphans that you guys make, I think you made somewhere around 18 Ridgeviews and now I own one of the 20 or so Aviators that have been sold. Better keep your resume handy, most companies that i buy from go out of business, Indian, excelsior Henderson....
Old 09-07-2013, 02:02 AM   #59

My Solera murphy bed has the stops but it appears that your stop pictured has been moved since the empty screw holes in the plastic indicate they are new.

I ended up ordering gears from Lippert to make my repairs myself after I was unable to find anyone in the greater Seattle area to help with repairs after trying for a few days. I found two teeth broken off so I replaced both gears. I also found the plastic stop broken loose and in the bottom under the matress hole. The broken off stop was the opposite side from the broken gear. I think the stop failed and allowed the motor assembly to travel too far up and stressed the gear causing the teeth to crack off.
WhenI made the repairs I reinstalled the stops using #14 screws and put the stops about 1/8" higher than previously installed so they don't hit the drive assembly until after the matress is horozontal.
Everything seems to work ok now. We are still over 1500 miles from home so we will see how it goes.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #60

I just picked up our new Solera 24MS last weekend and the bed is working fine so far. I am wondering though if those plastic gears could be replaced with metal gears to make it last longer?