Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #21

Curious as to why it has to be geared/power driven. The Murphy bed in our trailer moves easily up and down with one hand on gas shocks, no power required.
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
Curious as to why it has to be geared/power driven. The Murphy bed in our trailer moves easily up and down with one hand on gas shocks, no power required.
Not having seen the setup in your style of camper, I’m willing to bet that your bed just pulls down and back up like any Murphy Bed. But the ones in a Solera the bed is stowed down in a well on the slide. The bed is lifted up about 12” out of the well at the same time that it is coming down.
pinkstonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #23

My question is Forest River going to accept any liability in making and knowingly selling a defective piece of equipment? Will they offer a replacement unit or are they going to simply say tough nuggies? I'm expecting the nuggies! Lets see if ol B Clemons has anything to say on the matter. He's been pretty defensive so far. what say you mr. Factory rep. Any advise?
Petemoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #24

I don't want to hijack this thread and make it something it is not - but personally, I think BClemons goes out of his way to help us with warranty type issues. I have seen on other threads that he has helped get something's "covered" by FR that actually shouldn't be. So, please be respectful of him being on here and helping when he can. With that said, FR obviously knows there is a problem with the bed or they wouldn't have quit manufacturing them. So, again, I would think that if you have a problem and it is out of warranty, then you have a right to ask FR to cover the repair costs. If they say no, then you have an issue. My two cents.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #25

Debbie, are you implying I'm being disrespectful?
Does your unit have the Murphy bed? Have you waited 2 1/2 months,(2 1/2 months can mean a lifetime to some) missed four trips because the manufacture is "backedup" ? Yes your right the company obviously knew they had a problem and let their dealers continue to sell the units. FYI my deale's service mgr. said that all the 24m's sold from their store had been back for repair. Oh, does your FR get 18 mpg like the salesman said? I'll bet it does.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petemoss View Post
Debbie, are you implying I'm being disrespectful?
Does your unit have the Murphy bed? Have you waited 2 1/2 months,(2 1/2 months can mean a lifetime to some) missed four trips because the manufacture is "backedup" ? Yes your right the company obviously knew they had a problem and let their dealers continue to sell the units. FYI my deale's service mgr. said that all the 24m's sold from their store had been back for repair. Oh, does your FR get 18 mpg like the salesman said? I'll bet it does.
Sarcastic to BClemens. No, I don't have a Murphy bed, and can appreciate your frustration. However Mr. Clemens does go the extra mile for purchasers of his product, so implying that he is "the problem" is not fair. Have you talked to FR about covering the expense to fix it? Did you ask them if you can take it somewhere else that will rebuild it in a shorter time frame, and they (FR) pay for it?
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #27

If you don't have the Murphy bed. How can you appreciate our frustration?? By the way, my unit is repaired. And thank you for your unsolicited comment.

Good luck in your intergalactic adventures!
Old 09-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #28

The people on this forum attempt to be helpful and supportive
Then there are the others. Karma is a bit**!
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced2 View Post
The people on this forum attempt to be helpful and supportive
Then there are the others. Karma is a bit**!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #30

In forest rivers defense-and other manufacturers_ most issues(i said most not all) usually have to do with the components.slides/lifts/power steps/etc.

I do not know if the Murphy bed issue is design or the components
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #31

Our murphy bed has been, and continues to be, nothing but problems:

1. grinding
2. does not go up and down without laboring
3. does does seat and flip
4. does not sit on chair rails properly so bed slopes
5. gets grease on bed when stored in upright position

Forest River certified mechanic has been unable to fix it FIVE times. He tells me that he is not getting necessary support from Forest River; Forest River tells me that I can bring it back to the factory to be fixed, in December. I seriously doubt that the unit can ever be fixed and that I won't have problems in the future. I asked for my money back or a trade in for the full purchase price, but have been "tone walled." My wfe thinks that we should be compensated for our frustration and the expenses that we have incurred - I have inquired about the lemon law and am going to seek legal advise. Needless to say, we are not happy.
sjudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #32
phat phrog stunt crew

wow ... petemoss needs a chill pill, imho. maybe you weren't being disrespectful, and its hard to read voice inflection in the printed word, but your printed word came out pretty clear.

please don't camp next to me
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #33

Well I’m sorry I didn’t mean to open old wounds or rub salt in them with my post, I was just trying to give my opinion from years of experience and safety being foremost. (I work with things that go BOOM). As for Brian bclemens he helped me with a human error that if I had gone with the dealer it would have cost me some shipping instead it cost me nothing. He went above and beyond for me. I spent many years on the VMC (Victory Motorcycle Club) forum and having a factory rep. that will help the people on a forum is a great asset. I’m sure it’s not in his job description to be on forums. I’m also sure he has limits as to what he can and cannot do or say on an open forum. I understand being frustrated, but in the end he might be the only one that will help. Again I’m sorry if I stepped on anyone’s and I mean anyone’s toes.
pinkstonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #34

No stepped on toes here Pinkston. Thanks for your post. Everyone has a different experience . Mine a bad one.mostly excuses are given and the buyer (me) does all the coordinating.
I made a bad purchase and ill live with it.
Looks like I've made some enemy's here and for that I apologize . I thought this was a Murphy bed thread.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #35

petemoss is just telling like it is - if you don't have murphy bed problems, you can't appreciate his comments; if you have murphy bed problems, you can feel his pain!
sjudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #36
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petemoss View Post
My question is Forest River going to accept any liability in making and knowingly selling a defective piece of equipment? Will they offer a replacement unit or are they going to simply say tough nuggies? I'm expecting the nuggies! Lets see if ol B Clemons has anything to say on the matter. He's been pretty defensive so far. what say you mr. Factory rep. Any advise?
Not exactly sure how my response (below) was defensive...but ok.

"Petemoss, as long as the issues are noted in the file, in my experience they will continue to take care of it until it is fixed. So if it was an ongoing problem and the warranty runs out, they do not leave you high and dry."

My advice would be to talk to April. I'm on the sales side, so the only thing I can do is highlight issues and ask warranty/service for some extra attention. I had already sent some of these conversations over to the service manager, to see if I can grease the wheels a bit.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #37
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
I don't want to hijack this thread and make it something it is not - but personally, I think BClemons goes out of his way to help us with warranty type issues. I have seen on other threads that he has helped get something's "covered" by FR that actually shouldn't be. So, please be respectful of him being on here and helping when he can. With that said, FR obviously knows there is a problem with the bed or they wouldn't have quit manufacturing them. So, again, I would think that if you have a problem and it is out of warranty, then you have a right to ask FR to cover the repair costs. If they say no, then you have an issue. My two cents.
Thank you for that.

Just to clarify, we did not stop building the M due to issues. We stopped building it because it would no longer fit. Overall height has been lowered so the murphy mechanism is too tall.

Having said that, if we can figure out how to make the murphy bed work in the M again, we will build it. But we will also make sure there is a manual retraction system.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjudd View Post
petemoss is just telling like it is - if you don't have murphy bed problems, you can't appreciate his comments; if you have murphy bed problems, you can feel his pain!
Frustration with product failures is not limited to Murphy beds on the Solera. I've had problems with automobiles, appliances, home construction, and others. So yes, though I have a Murphy bed that is NOT a problem, I can appreciate the frustration experienced by those who have had this problem. Frustration is what it is, and those who have experienced it - regardless of the source - can feel his pain.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Thank you for that.

Just to clarify, we did not stop building the M due to issues. We stopped building it because it would no longer fit. Overall height has been lowered so the murphy mechanism is too tall.

Having said that, if we can figure out how to make the murphy bed work in the M again, we will build it. But we will also make sure there is a manual retraction system.
how much are you lowering the height? what will stand up inside be? use a Serta queen rv 75 inch bed like in some of your trailer models. and put it on a sunseeker chevy chassis!
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post

Frustration with product failures is not limited to Murphy beds on the Solera. I've had problems with automobiles, appliances, home construction, and others. So yes, though I have a Murphy bed that is NOT a problem, I can appreciate the frustration experienced by those who have had this problem. Frustration is what it is, and those who have experienced it - regardless of the source - can feel his pain.
I agree!
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote