Old 10-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Mysteries of battery charging

Hi again,

2013 Solera. I have read several posts but am still uncertain about expectations from the batteries. There are two deep cycle batteries in series in the coach.

Our batteries did not charge from the 110 power so I am taking this back into Camping World. But some questions.

1. How long do 50% discharged (new) batteries take on 110 house power to get fully charged?
2. I understand the coach batteries are getting charged when driving? Is this correct? If so, how long does it take to recharge the batteries?
3. There is a lot of information out there about solar that leaves my head spinning. We are in Boise with over 300 days of sunshine. It makes sense to use a solar trickle charger to keep the batteries fully charged and ready to go. Does anyone have a great experience with a solar trickle charger?

Thanks ahead of time for any help! Steve

steveboise6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
You may have the same problem I had.

When I took my first trip and arrived at the RV park my batteries were not charging either. Check the 110v outlets at any of the following: the living room TV site (inside cabinet over door), or the outlet by the loft driver side, or the 110v outlet by the thermostat. If those are dead your circuit breaker had tripped that powers the converter. Mine had tripped but didnít physically show that. Turing it off and back on cleared the problem. The breaker is the one right above the GFI breaker. (access panel is below oven door)

The coach batteries will charge when driving Ö but Iím not sure they do so much when the refrigerator is in Auto. When on gas, it definitely charges.

As to solar, I wonder about that too. Are the Soleraís prewired to easily add solar? I only consider that when dry camping as I am connected to land power when home.
Hope your problem is as easy to fix as mine was.
Good luck!

socalron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
the circuit breaker

Thanks for the heads up on the circuit breakers. I found out that plugging in the power cord was tripping the GFI on the house side. I will ask the mechanic to check out the circuits and converter in the motorhome.
Cheers, Steve
steveboise6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
It is poor practice to have two GFI on the same circuit, 1 on the house side and 1 in the coach. They tend to fight each other. You will need to either trip the GFI in your trailer,while hooked up at home, or replace the GFI with a standard circuit breaker on the house side.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote