Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #1

(Nearly) One Year Warranty Work

I purchased my Solera September 30, 2104 so had my dealer warranty work done last week (I've had two engine warranty service calls, but that's a different story).

First, I've owned several RVs so I know there will always be some things that have to be fixed. Take your house and subject to a 4.0 earthquake frequently, as we do when we drive, and you'd expect some repairs.

That said, I found some of the repairs understandable, three I feel are manufacture defects.

Manufacture Defects:

The vinyl stripping that runs around the front edge of the motorhome came loose on both sides. I learned on the forum this is common. The repair shop told me not just a 2015 problem, but earlier models as well. When I contacted the Solara warranty manager he was well aware of it. Seems this is a problem that should have been addressed long ago.

Large chunks of insulation in the AC vents. The repair facility said best as they could determine this was insulation (Styrofoam) left over from cutting out the vent holes. What? No effort to remove the cutout pieces? They checked the insulation as best as possible and could find no problems, but at least I have it documented for the future.

TV Mount - In my model, rather than a bunk in the overcab, I have large storage cabinets and a 42" TV. On a recent trip we were shaken by a large crash. I quickly pulled over and discovered the two screws (only two screws) in the top bracket had stripped out and the TV fell forward. The only thing that kept if from coming down on us was the bottom screws. It remains to be seen how well the repair holds up. I now have "check TV mount" on my depart checklist.

Other repairs:

Some nail heads pushed through. . .think 4.0 earthquake. Easy fix.

Rear slide "Bulb Seals" were loose. Since they were never adequately installed originally I think the manufacture should address this. However, I've learned that all slideout seals on any RV need constant monitoring and TLC.

Overall, I have been very happy with the Solera. With our previous 40 foot DP it was easy to drive, but not fun to drive. I was always happy to get to our destination. The Solera is just fun to drive and some times I find myself wishing I had a few more miles to drive when I arrive at my destination.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:32 PM   #2

Vinyl stripping I noticed started to pull from the corner, got on it and pushed it back in. Just the plastic shrinking, so need to monitor as it settles to its final length.

Styrofoam shot out of the a/c vents also, it stopped after a while, so just part of debris construction. No biggie for me.

The TV issue sounds like they didn't hit solid backing when driving it in. I'd look to secure with add'l screws, etc. as there is constant "cab twist" as part of just what is, when your moving a house on wheels.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:13 AM   #3

I have the same problem with the vinyl edge molding popping out above the cab. I think someone is getting a bonus for minimizing material costs; its obviously too short; an extra 2 inches and it wouldn't be under so much tension that it pops out. You can tell it was installed under tension by removing the bottom screw and watching how the body paint lines move up as the vinyl shrinks. I added a screw at the top corner and painted the head to match body paint. This fault is inexcusable; the material cost to remedy is pennies; its obviously the process; and likely the organizational culture that perpetuates it.

Someday I would really really like to read a post about someone who DOES NOT have this problem!
MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiataHoarder View Post
I have the same problem with the vinyl edge molding popping out above the cab. I think someone is getting a bonus for minimizing material costs; its obviously too short; an extra 2 inches and it wouldn't be under so much tension that it pops out. You can tell it was installed under tension by removing the bottom screw and watching how the body paint lines move up as the vinyl shrinks. I added a screw at the top corner and painted the head to match body paint. This fault is inexcusable; the material cost to remedy is pennies; its obviously the process; and likely the organizational culture that perpetuates it.

Someday I would really really like to read a post about someone who DOES NOT have this problem!
Have not had the shrinkage problem to date. Mine is a 2014 built in 2013. It is all white and that may make a difference. Think the paint shrinks?
Old 08-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Think the paint shrinks?
I don't think so, but it might dry out the vinyl and contribute to the issue. I'll be watching mine closely!
Old 08-21-2015, 05:47 PM   #6
Georgetown 280

Interesting

We had exactly the same fixes that were needed for our Georgetown 280 during the first year.
MikeFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:23 AM   #7

Mine pulled off - strangely enough - on one side only. I fixed it by removing the bottom screw, pushing the molding up back into its track, and retightening the screw in its new position (about one inch above where it was before). Then I caulked and painted the old screw hole. Never had a problem since. Yes, the swirl paint is off by a slight bit, but since it is at a corner, you dont notice it if you dont know it!
dswiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty