Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #1

Need a tire pressure gage for rear dual tires

I have a 2013 Solera.
I tried to check tire pressure on the rear dual tires and have not found a pressure gage that works. Even the mechanics at the tire store had a hard time getting a reading on the pressure.The problem is that the dual tires have narrow valve extenders that a regular pressure gage doesn't work on. I explained the issue at Camping World and they sold me another pressure gage that also doesn't work.

Has anyone found a pressure gage that works? If so, could you be specific on the model and where to order it. Thanks, Steve
steveboise6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Always Learning

I don't have a Solera, but I do have a dually truck. Here's the air chuck that I bought:

Being straight lets me hit the inner dual and my front tires.

With the reversed/angled chuck lets me hit the outer dual.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Deluxe Tire Gauge - Intersource Enterprises D10-62 - Tire Accessories - Camping World

This is the one I use. Is this what CW sold you and it doesn't work?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveboise6 View Post
I have a 2013 Solera.
I tried to check tire pressure on the rear dual tires and have not found a pressure gage that works. Even the mechanics at the tire store had a hard time getting a reading on the pressure.The problem is that the dual tires have narrow valve extenders that a regular pressure gage doesn't work on. I explained the issue at Camping World and they sold me another pressure gage that also doesn't work.

Has anyone found a pressure gage that works? If so, could you be specific on the model and where to order it. Thanks, Steve
Steve: If you have the yellow Air-Flexx extenders - which I have - the problem is the inner core doesn't extend far enough out for the pressure gauge to engage it The solution for me was to remove the extender and using a utility knife, cut off the outer end one thread at a time until the pressure gauge will engage the inner core. Cut off just enough so the inner core is even with the outer tube. I had to remove two thead widths to get a reading. You can take a mill file and smooth the end down afterwards. If you have to take off too many threads, you may have to get a thread chaser (available at any Advance store) and turn down a few extra thread widths in order for the tire pressure monitor to go down far enough, or for the valve cap to engage tightly.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Denver, CO

Maybe this?? Works really good and precise, but I don't know about your stem.

1 "Longacre Economy Digital Tire Pressure Gauge"
$37.45
In Stock
Sold by: Hoerr Racing Products
Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #6

I know on the Sunseeker it's easier to check the tires if you just take the extenders off.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #7

Thanks for all the help. I used the Taylor's suggestion to shave off the end of the Air-Flex Extender. It worked!

But, you have to be careful. I found that each tire valve was different. Two extenders worked without modification. I cut the thread (two turns of the thread) off the other two extenders with a retractable knife. If you do this, you want to cut a small amount off (one thread) at a time and retry it. These are tight spaces to work and it would be easier with a helper to put a flash light on the valve to screw it back on.

Thanks again to the quick replies. Steve
steveboise6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #8

I'm thinking of having the valve extenders replaced when I have the tires rotated this Spring. I don't like the idea of shaving the steam off in order to get a pressure reading. And why does it seem to be a problem only on the Solera tires?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:30 PM   #9

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I'm thinking of having the valve extenders replaced when I have the tires rotated this Spring. I don't like the idea of shaving the steam off in order to get a pressure reading. And why does it seem to be a problem only on the Solera tires?
Henry: Be careful about that. The Valve OEM valve stems are rubber. Attaching a heavy metal or braided extender will result in all sorts of problems (see Double Blowout thread). I think FR started using the Air-Flex because they were having problems with heavier extenders, and the light Air-Flex solved that problem. I've thought about the same thing, but have decided if I put metal extenders on I'll replace the valve stems with metal stems, too. Got a quote from my tire guy - $12.00 each tire to replace the stems. And it looks like a good set of metal stems and extenders is gonna be > $100.00. I'll wait for next month's welfare check to come in!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #10

Ed

Thanks for the advice I'll look into the medal stems also with extenders.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #11

another way to fix the valve extenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
Steve: If you have the yellow Air-Flexx extenders - which I have - the problem is the inner core doesn't extend far enough out for the pressure gauge to engage it The solution for me was to remove the extender and using a utility knife, cut off the outer end one thread at a time until the pressure gauge will engage the inner core. Cut off just enough so the inner core is even with the outer tube. I had to remove two thead widths to get a reading. You can take a mill file and smooth the end down afterwards. If you have to take off too many threads, you may have to get a thread chaser (available at any Advance store) and turn down a few extra thread widths in order for the tire pressure monitor to go down far enough, or for the valve cap to engage tightly.
>>>>
>>>>
here is a simple fix that does not require you to remove and cut the extenders: take any round, solid rod (plastic, wood or metal) that is 3/16 inch in diameter and cut a 2mm piece off it. put a bit of silicone grease on it and insert it into the valve stem. I used a 3/16 screw. the silicone grease helps prevent the piece from falling out when the valve cap is opened.
works like a charm.
dswiss is offline   Reply With Quote