Old 08-11-2015, 12:51 AM   #1

Need to manual shift for power

My new 2015 Solera 24W has me baffled. I have discovered that I have to manually shift down to second gear at stop lights and other stopping situations to get enough power to get going again. As my speed increases I manually shift up to Drive or 4th and then down again for power as the speed decreases. I am wondering if this is normal or not. I am hungry for more power and am looking into the Sprinter Store for the increase. But I think that the engine should produce more power from a dead stop if its left in Drive so that I don't have to shift down and back up at every stop.
I am wondering what others experience. And then there is towing. If this is the case, as it is for me, then when towing, I must have to really ride the red line in order to keep enough power available.

I appreciate any ideas or experience you have had like this and what you did about it. Thanks in advance.

One wife
Two kayaks, One SUP
Bend, Oregon
Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:46 AM   #2
2012 Solera

Something is wrong. The vehicle should shift down to first when you stop. Mine does - no manual shifting required.

JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:06 AM   #3
2012 Solera

Thought I had responded previously -
Low Power starting off in Solera 24W
Guess you didn't get the issue resolved yet. Believe you should take it in to Mercedes.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:09 AM   #4

Thanks. The problem is that the coach has to be manually shifted down to first or second gear at a stop or it does not have enough power to get it moving in Drive. You are correct in that it doesn't downshift automatically to first from Drive. Thanks so much for the help here. I am taking into a dealer next week but thought I would try the forum once again to see if any new thoughts come up or if someone else has this problem.
One wife
Two kayaks, One SUP
Bend, Oregon
Old 08-11-2015, 03:23 AM   #5
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Something isn't right here. My W doesn't do that. From idle I can easily get going again with proper power in automatic.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #6

Definate transmission issue. Possibly electronic related, since you can manually get it into first. Take it to MB. When the tranny is operating correctly, there is surprising torgue at lift off.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #7

How many miles on it?

Has it always done this?

(Sold the Vibe 6506)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #8
MH Noob

I can almost guarantee that it is a software issue - any Mercedes dealer should be able to flash the CPU and related modules and get her fixed. Certainly under the drivetrain warranty
Old 08-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #9

Only has 4k miles on it now. Yes, it has done this from the start. And Yes, it will fit nicely under the warranty even though there is no Mercedes dealer within 100 miles. Maybe I will just keep manually shifting it as I have and treat it like my Solera Sports Edition with manual shift on the fly!!
One wife
Two kayaks, One SUP
Bend, Oregon
Old 08-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solera View Post
My new 2015 Solera 24W has me baffled. I have discovered that I have to manually shift down to second gear at stop lights and other stopping situations to get enough power to get going again. As my speed increases I manually shift up to Drive or 4th and then down again for power as the speed decreases. I am wondering if this is normal or not. I am hungry for more power and am looking into the Sprinter Store for the increase. But I think that the engine should produce more power from a dead stop if its left in Drive so that I don't have to shift down and back up at every stop.
I am wondering what others experience. And then there is towing. If this is the case, as it is for me, then when towing, I must have to really ride the red line in order to keep enough power available.

I appreciate any ideas or experience you have had like this and what you did about it. Thanks in advance.
Shifting down to second means your taking off in 3rd gear????? The trans should be in 1st when to take off.

Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, power