Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #1

New 14' 24S With Weight Capacity Sticker Question

I just purchased a new 2014 24S Saturday April 25th. Love it ,so far.
I have been reluctant to purchase a Solara because of the limited carrying capacity. However, I crunched some numbers and felt that the 24S would work better then the 24R I was originally considering.

I took a look at the yellow sticker located on the drivers door jamb to see what the carrying capacity is and found something interesting.

My yellow sticker indicated the following:

Dry Weight = 9402
Combined Carrying Capacity = 1420
Full load of water = 292.lbs

The questions are:

1) With a GVWR of 11,030 and a dry weight of 9402, shouldn't the CCC be (11,030-9402=) 1,628 lbs?

2) Water weight is specified as 292 lbs @ 8.33 lbs/gal. This equates to 35 gallons. The brochure states that the water capacity is 41 gallons which would equal 341 lbs. Do I have a smaller tank then what the brochure states?

I need every pound that I can get for my family of 4.
mphair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #2

I wouldn't tow with a full tank of water..Fill it when you get where you're going. I carry 5-10 gallons in mine when on the road. Enough to use the toilet if I need to.
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:06 PM   #3

I dry camp most of the time for several days. I need every drop of water for myself, 2 girls and wife. I will only fill to the top when dry camping.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:11 PM   #4

They count the 6 gallon water heater as fresh water capacity..
Gaffer222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:30 PM   #5

So do I need to deduct the weight of the 6 gallons of water from my Carrying capacity?
Or is that already deducted on the yellow sticker CCC amount? That's worth 50 lbs.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #6

According to Forest River, this is what the weight abbreviations mean.

GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) means the maximum weight limit of the unit. The GVWR is equal to or greater than the sum of the Unloaded Vehicle Weight plus the Net Carrying Capacity.
UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight) is the weight of the unit as built at the factory. This includes full fuel tanks, full generator fuel tanks, engine oil and coolants (if applicable). The UVW does NOT include cargo, fresh water, LP gas or dealer-installed accessories.
NCC (Net Carrying Capacity) is the maximum weight of all personal belongings food, fresh water, LP gas, tools, dealer-installed accessories and other items that can be carried by the unit.
GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) is the value specified as the maximum allowable loaded weight of a tow vehicle and a towed trailer or towed vehicle.

forestriverinc.com/FAQ/#23

It's interesting that the UVW + CCC of my unit is 208 lbs less the the GVWR. Anyone know why? I have always thought that as long as you remain under the GVWR, Axle rating and tire rating, you are good to go. Am I missing something here?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #7

I believe dry weight means no gas, no oil, no water in radiator, etc.

The unloaded vehicle weight is what you want to use.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogsarg View Post
I believe dry weight means no gas, no oil, no water in radiator, etc.

The unloaded vehicle weight is what you want to use.

I disagree- with a motor vehicle, it's going to assume full vehicle tanks. Fresh water is a different story and not included.

Do a search for bclemens posts- he's identified what the dry weight includes before for his motorhomes.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #9

According to bclemens on an earlier post, the dry weight is calculated as follows:

Vehicle weight minus all fuels, water and propane. I believe that all engine fluids are calculated into the dry weight.

This would make sense.

My advertised dry weight is 9,420. Add 26 gallons of fuel at 7lbs/gal = 182 lbs, and propane = 50 lbs.

9420 + 182 + 50 =9,632 lbs

Sticker says that my CCC is 1,420

1420 + 9632 = 11,052 lbs VS GVWR of 11,030. Looks right to me

Thanks everyone. I am new to this stuff
Old 04-28-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Frankly I don't remember us using "Dry Weight". I'll have to go look at our scales again.

Normally it is UVW. Which is (chassis, + fuel tank + propane)

I will say that the fuel is estimated. If it has a quarter tank we're supposed to plug that into the computer and it corrects based on actual weight. If they don't do that correctly I can see it being off a bit.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight