Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2015, 12:50 AM   #1

New 2015 Sunseeker 24S/Solera questions?

Bought a new 24S and have a couple of questions? Does anyone know what brand of oil is in the engine from the factory? Would like to buy a few qts. before heading out to Ca. in about 10 days.
Have been reading the forums before and after purchasing. I read where some have purchased a memory foam corner bed mattress, where would I find one?
We purchased our MH last week of April. It is a Sunseeker 24S/aka Solera. The dealer says that Forest River will drop the Solera name and all models will be called Sunseeker's. Anyone know if that's true? I wanted my MH to say Solera as I thought maybe Senseeker was a cheaper model. Dealer said they are the same and they would get me Solera decals if I wanted.
Anyway, have only driven it about 500 miles and I think I'm going to like it. Old MH was a Coachman Catalina Sport 220 with the Ford V10.
Last few nights have been going thru this forum finding out where and what I can spend more money on. Looking for bug deflector for front end, again anyone know where?
airgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:52 AM   #2
2012 Solera

Be sure to use only the correct Mercedes spec oil - believe it is 229.52 oil, but check your owners manual. Believe Mobile 1 has an oil that meets this spec.
We added a four inch memory foam topper to our stock mattress and have been happy with it. Forest River may have upgraded the mattress since our 2012 "S", so the topper may not be needed on newer coaches.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:25 AM   #3

MB only uses Mobil 1 0W30 ESP spec 229.52 in all of their diesels. They switched from 5W40. You must use the correct spec. Either 229.51 or the newer 229.52 regardless of the brand oil you use.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #4
Class C Representative

We are now making Sunseeker MBS and Forester MBS in place of the Solera name. The Sunseeker name is far from being a "Cheaper" brand in comparison to Solera. They are built on the same chassis with the same specs.
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:33 AM   #5

The bug deflector might not work well, because the overhead bunk design really distorts the air flows, thus not allowing bugs to be re-routed. I liken the solera to be a bug smasher, or any rv for that matter, but if you find otherwise, let us know.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #6

Just a tip. Mercedes is unforgiving if you disregard their explicit directions regarding Oil etc. and if you have the oil changed at other than a Mercedes or Freightliner dealer and have ANY ISSUE they can be hard to deal with on warranty issues. The correct "Mobil 1 ESP" oil can be hard to find in some markets so don't leave it to the last minute to find.
john.tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.tucson View Post
Just a tip. Mercedes is unforgiving if you disregard their explicit directions regarding Oil etc. and if you have the oil changed at other than a Mercedes or Freightliner dealer and have ANY ISSUE they can be hard to deal with on warranty issues. The correct "Mobil 1 ESP" oil can be hard to find in some markets so don't leave it to the last minute to find.
You are "Right On" with the OIL SPEC's-"john.tucson." For more info read what Freightliner says at this post: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nge-27371.html

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.tucson View Post
Do this;
1. Purchase MB spec oil /filter as discussed in detail in this forum
2. Create a hand written log, include mileage @ oil change
3. Keep receipts

It is against the law to deny warranty issues related to engine oil changed by the DIY, provided you follow the above rules. Nothing and I mean NOTHING drops their jaw more when you present detailed records upon request, when or if the issue of was proper maintenance performed.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #9

Thanks for all the replies. I called the nearest Sprinter dealer and they told which oil to use. On the 2015 chassis use Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 with the 229.52 specs. My chassis was manufactued in 09/14 and and the the oil used is Mobil 1Formula M ESP 5W-40 with the 229.51 specs. He said the 0W-30 meets both 229.1 and 229.52 specs so it's ok to use with the 5W40. Went to my local NAPA dealer and they had a six pack of the 0W-30 and if not in stock they would have next day. NAPA's price $9.00, Sprinter dealer $8.00 but he's 40 miles away.
airgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:26 PM   #10
TARVIDSON

That is the clearest explanation I have seen on the oil. Thanks. As to the mattress for our 2015 LE2150 we picked up a 3" memory foam topper with gel to keep it cooler at Costco for $99. Full size fits the side bed reasonably well and it is very comfortable.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solera, sunseeker