Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #1

New Kenwood

Well just finished installing my new Kenwood DNX6990HD, replaced the Magnadyne unit with it and am very pleased with the results. Will be giving it a good work out next month but so far I like it.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #2

You will love it. :-)
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #3

I already do it's much better than the Magnadyne.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Does it have 5.1? That seems to be the thing most of these radios are lacking.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #5

I have been very pleased with my Magnadyne. I also have the Kenwood in my toad, but I don't particularly like the Kenwood, although the software has one feature I DO like; when looking for POIs such as fuel stops, the Kenwood software will show which direction the POIs are from your current location - wish the Magnadyne had that feature!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #6

Sorry to say Kentwood may be lacking 5.1, whatever that is, be reliability and dependability outweigh it.
Mine was just updated by dealer via Magnadyne and I called Mike/Mark personally to insure current up date sent. They are both wonderful and most helpful. My unit is current and updated.
Left for three day trip, one hour out GPS started telling me to turn around and I did not have it on. Only radio was turned on and could not cancel. Spent rest of trip, another hour listening to I pod
Sorry love my Lexington but the radio has to go. Every month since I bought it my major complaint has been the Magnadyne.
Senior citizen on fixed income saving pennies to replace.
$129.00 GPS from WallyWorld and I pod work as well.
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #7

That's the problem I had with the Magnadyne after updating, if you got off course just a little it would not or could not correct the data and would want you to turn around and go back.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #8

What is the 5.1 that your asking about?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
What is the 5.1 that your asking about?
Henry:
5.1 is an audio protocol for sending sound to five speakers (middle, 2 sides, 2 rear) and a subwoofer. The Magnadyne supports it, but I can't see any value for it in my Solera since I don't have a rear speaker system in mine. I think it may work when feeding audio from a video disk to the TV, using the TV speakers as the extra set, but I'm not sure. I don't buy music, so I'm not sure if audio discs have this or not, but even with video discs, the disc has to be encoded for 5.1

There is also a 7.1 encoding too, but I've not seen much on the market supporting it.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #10

I don't know if my Kenwood unit has it or not, but i get the music from all the speakers.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
I don't know if my Kenwood unit has it or not, but i get the music from all the speakers.
Yeah - we get the sound through all the speakers (front and through TV), and the Magnadyne is set up for 5.1, but I have no idea if the 5.1 works through the TV. (????) Really not an issue with me... we don't watch DVDs hardly ever, and our music is all through the iPod/iphone. Only DVDs I've watched are a set of Ken Burns documentaries my son gave me for Christmas.

The 5.1 Decoding involves sending a signal to a subwoofer, a center channel, two side channels, and two rear channels. Properly encoded, there is different intelligence sent to each speaker. I don't believe it would work without an amplifier!
Old 06-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #12

5.1 sound and support for A2DP were a couple of the reasons I chose the Pioneer over a Kenwood unit.
Don Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #13

When I hooked up the Kenwood I followed the same wiring as was on the Magnadyne I used the same wiring that was in a coach and I have sound in the front and back speakers and the Kenwood has a port for a Sub woofer. I personally think the sound is better than on the Magnadyne.