Old 07-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #1

New Solara issues

Just picked up my new Solera(RV Dierct-Albany NY) and am having a few issues. Any thoughts on the following?
1. Can't seem to find the lock on the slide out pantry, I' m sure there is one just can't locate it.
2. The GPS/Radio is realy crappy! Can't see the screen because of the glare unless you lean way over and look staight on. Half the time the GPS voice says turn right and the graphic arrow points left.
3. No sound from the door speakers-just the surround system in the rear.
4. Slide doesn't work. When I picked it up they had 3 guys working for 2 hours trying to get it fixed. They adjusted,put in new fuses, and lubricated. It worked once before I left, and now not at all. Fortunately it's closed. Seems to be tight at the bottom but about 1/2" out at the top. I think it's out of square.

Just called my nearest Solera dealer-Noth Little Rock,AR to set up a warranty repair. First question he asked was where did I buy it? Seems he can't get me in for at least two months. Am now trying dealer over in Tulsa, Ok. -some 41/2 hours away from my home base in Mountain Home,AR. Looked for an email contact on FR's web site and found none. Guess they don't want to hear about any problems.

Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated. Not looking forward to spending the summer waiting for the warranty repairs.

Thanks

Henry
AKA wdnfins

Old 07-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
GM

1. Slide your hand down on the back side of the front white tube. It is a little silver lever that sticks out. There is supposed to be a sticker that points it out...but it is hard to find.
2. Is it the Magnadyne M4? I think JAMILLER on this forum has a direct contact to Magnadyne
3. There is a 3-way switch. A-B-All. A is Dash speakers & (2) rear speakers. B is the Rear surround ONLY. All is fairly obvious I think
4. Not sure what the issue is there. What model is it? 24M or 24S? Maybe call warranty and they can direct you to another service location.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #3

Hey bclemens,
This is not looking very good for "Forest River!" What is the problem with "QC?" Your thoughts please?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zama View Post
Hey bclemens,
This is not looking very good for "Forest River!" What is the problem with "QC?" Your thoughts please?
I'm not so sure the sky is falling quite yet.
1. Not finding the lock to the pantry is not really a quality issue
2. Madnadyne supplies the radios. I've used them and have not noticed any issues. I'd have to have more info to diagnose if there is actually a problem or just a learning curve.
3. I explained how there can be no sound, its a feature, not a quality issue. It allows the people in the back to watch a movie and the people in the driver/passenger seats to carry on a conversation. Simple flip of the switch and there should be sound. It could also be a fader setting.
4. Slide can be as simple as a loose wire...I see that on the Shwintec systems more than the regular Lippert slides.

You'll find that a large number of the people that come to this forum are looking to solve problems. You won't find near as many people posting "I love my rig, it works great ,etc, etc". So although it seems like a large percentage of people are having issues...it is a very small percentage of the units that are sold. A good dealer is 50% if not more of the customer experience. That slide should have never left if it wasn't 100% functioning and a thorough walk through showing how to use every device.'

I'd like to see what percentage of users bought from "Dealer X" to save a buck and ended up having issues.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
2012 Solera

Check out the thread below on the Magnadyne M4. As mine was set up, it went into "night " dim mode when the engine started. Had to manually touch the "bright " button each time until I disconnected that "feature " (details in Magnadyne thread below) .
With the bugs now worked out, the Magnadyne seems satisfactory now.
I have the "S " model and have suffered a catastrophic slideout failure - motor mount broke off frame on fifth actuation - see slideout thread below. Hope your problem is different. Mine was also problematic before I picked it up. My dealer also "messed " with it and told me all was well.

I do like the Solera a lot.

Good luck.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
2012 Solera

Clarification - the Magnadyne thread is in the General Tech and Repair / Appliances and Electronics section of the forums. FYI - BClemens - I bought from my closest dealer and paid asking price at an RV show. Made no attempt to squeeze for lowest price by shopping dealers or using on - line sources.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #7

I have found FR to be very helpful on several little warranty issues. Call them. I bought from RVDirect and had a good experience. Drove 6 hours to pick it up but the nearest FR dealer is 4 hours away so I never had a chance to deal with a "local " dealer anyway. FR warranty people have offered to help me locate a repair facility near me if needed.

Regarding the radio, mine has had some problems. Working through FR, Magnadyne agreed to send me a new radio today.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #8

I bought my Solera from RV Direct, flew from OKC to Orlando to pick it up. Saved more than $10,000 even after flights and taking a weeks vacation driving it back home. I'd do it again, haven't had any issues, that I couldn't figure out myself or caused myself. It was my first motorhome ( or any RV) I knew i would have a learning curve and I'm comfortable with that!!!!
Have over 11,000 miles on it and hope it last for many years and many many miles!
Old 07-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #9

Thanks for all the help-much appreciated! Lest I leave the wrong impression, I LOVE my Solera! I think it's an excellent and smart layout,at least for my needs, handles extremely well, and am looking forward to many miles of fly fishing around the country. I am disapointed with the slide out-it's a major item on the RV and should have had more review/inspection before pick up. I found the pantry lock and will be contacting Magnadyne for some resolution.

Thanks again!

Wdnfin
On the bank of the White River
Mountain Home, Arkansas
Old 07-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #10

I think all big manufactures of everything sometimes have defects..

think GM,Ford etc.

there is a website I went to once(i can't remember where) that had complaints about rv's.

I read complaints about every rv manufacturer.

Forest River sells a LOT of rv's. Hopefully only a small percentage have issues.