Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #1

Cool New Solera Owner

I need some help. During my walk thru the guy told me that when I hook up to electricity at an rv park and I'm not using propane that I must pull the clip in the water heater access panel and move the switch??

This doesn't sound right. Seems like if this was true Forest River would have made this allot easier to access.

What is that switch for. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
JD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
2018 FR3 30DS

I am a new user to this forum but have had my Solera since Oct.last year.
The switch at the water heater is protected by the little slide in clip. In order to use electricty to heat the water you have to remove the clip and turn the switch to the on position. Caution..make sure you have water in the water heater tank or you could have a burned out heater element. The clip is a safety measure to help remind you not to turn electricty on a dry tank.
Yes, the clip is awkward to get out and impossible to put back in...I use a piece of small wire to replace the clip..works ok as a reminder.
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #3

Thanks for your help. So is it safe to assume that if your fresh water is full the water heater is full?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
2018 FR3 30DS

Smile

No. When you fill the fresh water tank that's all you have done. If you want to fill the water heater with water from the fresh water tank you will have to run the pump till the 6 gallon hot water tank is full and that will take a while. In my opinion, the easiest and best way is to connect your hose from the water supply (spigot) to the fresh water inlet located in the area where the electric wire goes in. I turn on a hot water faucet (usually the kitchen sink faucet) then turn the water on at the spigot. You can hear the water filling the hot water tank and air is coming out of the faucet at the sink. When water starts coming out the faucet, then the hot water tank is filled and it is safe to turn on whichever method you use for heating the water, i. E. lp gas or electricity. It is also safe now to leave the water turned at the water supply (spigot).

It takes a while to learn all the nuances of your Solera. The walk through at the dealer hits the high spots and then you have to get the rest on your own. For example, if you look in your ash tray you might find a little remote control that there appears to be no use for. It is for the rear view camera.
Sorry for the long reply..
Old 04-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #5

Thanks! I really found this helpful.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:47 PM   #6

One additional caution, make sure your water heater bypass is in the closed position. If the bypass is open, running water through the faucets will not be forcing water into the water heater and therefore the water heater will be empty and if you turn the electric "on", the element will fry!
popbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by popbreed
One additional caution, make sure your water heater bypass is in the closed position. If the bypass is open, running water through the faucets will not be forcing water into the water heater and therefore the water heater will be empty and if you turn the electric "on", the element will fry!
I hate to sound stupid here, but where is this bypass located?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:11 AM   #8
2018 FR3 30DS

Location of water heater bypass valves

My Solera is a 2011 model Freightliner. Now, assuming that all Soleras are made alike the location of the water heater bypass valves is difficult to find. At the foot of the bed is a panel that pulls off. Inside the panel, using a flashlight, you can see the water pump, water filter (assuming you have a water filter system...this was an option on mine), wiring and some red and blue water pipes. The valves for the bypass system are located to the left close to the wall and you won't be able to see them..at least I can't because they are hidden. There are three valves and if you don't get too discouraged you should be able to locate them...just keep feeling around. If the valve handles are parallel to the water pipe, then they are open and water can flow through. If they are perpendicular to the water pipe they are closed.
If you have water in the fresh water tank with the pump turned on or are hooked up to a spigot with the water hose you should be able to turn on the hot water faucet and see if water runs or not. If it runs then there should be water in the heater tank. (or so I would think).
Hopefully this will be helpful to you. There are no stupid questios on this forum but you might get a stupid answer (from me).
Old 04-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
2018 FR3 30DS

Jd55

My last statement about water running through the hot water line as an incidator as to whether or not the hot water tank is full may be incorrect. I have read elsewhere on this forum that if the bypass valves are set to bypass the hot water tank you will get water out of a hot water faucet...
You can read elsewhere on he forum about this.....
Old 04-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #10

I do not have a Solara but the previous poster explained where the valves are on your MH. In the bypass mode, the 2 valves on the back side of the heater (one is on a red line and the second is on the blue line) are both OFF (crosswise of the pipe). The 3rd valve connects the red line with the blue line and it will be OPEN (parallel with the line). Again this is in the bypass mode which means the water is bypassing the water heater. Water will still come out of the hot water faucets but it is not going through the heater. You will use this mode for winterizing your MH. When you reverse all 3 valves (open the 2 valves on the red and blue lines and close the valve that connects the red and blue lines) you are now circulating water through the water heater (non bypass mode) and to the faucets. As the PP explained, keep the hot faucets open until you have water coming out of the hot water faucets. That indicates the water heater is full and safe to turn on the electric heater.
popbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:06 AM   #11

Thanks to all for the help. I think I've got this. Do west coaster need to winterize their units?
Old 07-10-2015, 10:42 PM   #12
Karen, Pete & Chloe Kat

Picked up Our Solera 24 R Today

hi, we are just starting to learn the vehicle even though we spent a lot of time reading lots of posts. We received a ton of manuals today which will take some time to digest.

We have the option with the big TV by the upper bunks and small TV in the bedroom. While I haven't done an exhaustive search, I can't find the DVD which is supposed to be part of the option. Does anyone know where it is supposed to be?
Thanks
sanpedroflyer
sanpedroflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:55 PM   #13

the big TV shows the disc inserted in the dash unit when you select that input

the bedroom TV has its own integral DVD slot
ipolyihh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #14

Yes, slot is against the wall blocking use
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote