Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #1

Smile new solera owner

finally bought the Solera, will pick it up the 18th in Orlando. Will drive it back to Oklahoma city (1250 miles)
Any suggestions to look for in the "Walk Thru" or any questions you wished you would have asked. This is our fist motorhome, have been tenting it for the last 30years. We also plan to tow a jeep wrangler, any thought on this also.

Looking forward to many pleasant vacations and weekends.
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
2018 FR3 30DS

Congrats

Congratulaions on your Solera. Got mine last year in Oct. Assuming you are buying it new from a dealer (you mention walk thru) I am assuming it was driven from Indiana to Florida. My point being that Sprinter recommends driving at various speeds for approximately a thousand miles to "break in" the engine. So, if it was driven to Elkhart to Orlando it would have almost that necessary mileage. I am saying this because you intend to pull a vehicle with the mh and I don't know if that would harm the engine during "break in". You might not even intend on pulling the Jeep back from Orlando..just throwing my 2 cents for what they're worth...

IMHO a good walk thru would require taking notes. There's a lot to see and forget. Make sure you get the dealer to show you where the hot water tank by pass valves are located. Also you might ask what the panel is on the left side of the entrance door near the bottom of the cabinet. It is fused and I don't have a clue. Also the main switch panel underneath the oven.
You can get lots of info from this forum if you have questions after receipt of the Solera...
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:48 AM   #3

One issue that we had (and didn't find at delivery) was that the lock sets on the various outside access doors were not the same. As a result we have a key that works for the left side doors but not the right side and rear doors. We'll have to resolve this when we take it back for service.

I also agree with the other poster's comment about taking notes. If you are new to RVing (as we are), it's kind of information overload during the delivery.

Good luck. We're having a ball with our Solera.
billerbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #4

My wife and I divided up the information gathering duties at delivery. She focused on the interior systems and I focused on the exterior systems. Then when we got home we compared notes and made a list of questions that didn't get answered. Then we went camping and figured out the answer to those questions! Bottom line is you cannot learn everything about your RV in a 2 hour delivery. My advice: Focus on the life and safety issues then have fun learning the cool convenience features during your first camping trip (which might just be your driveway).
ever4ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
2018 FR3 30DS

Keys

I had the same problem. I called FR and was transferred to my area PR person, told him the situation and he sent me a pair of keys. Call the number listed for FR and see if you can get that resolved. I bought my MH in Ohio and live in Georgia. I called the dealer and they didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about, so you may incur the same situation.

Different subject: I am trying to find a means of stabalizing the MH while camped but so far not very successful I have used a pair of jacks and placed them under each side of the trailer hitch and that didn't help much if at all. If you look underneath the Solera you don't see many, if any, places to put a jack...too much "fragile" stuff. I called FR PR again to see if they possibly have a diagram of where to put jacks and was referred to a private company to purchase the jacks...but got no info as to where to place them.
Anybody having jacks that work on a Solera, please post to this forum.....
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses, we're looking forward to the lifestyle, we're not retired by any means, but love camping and just the outdoors in general.We have 2 grandsons (1 & 4years old) can't wait to get them out!!!

We were wondering about stabilizing the camper also, my wife noticed when we were just window shopping that the Solera wobbled quite a bit when entering, but then again we were in Oklahoma and the wind was blowing 50 mph. We'll be learning and testing everthing immediately on the return trip to Oklahoma
thanks again
Old 04-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #7

One thought on towing the Jeep Wranger. Our Solera is listed to tow a maximum of 3500lbs and from the information I have the Wranger exceeds that limit......

Check the GVWR of your Jeep Wrangler and the official listed maximum trailer weight on your new Solera.

Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #8

We bought our Solera about 3 weeks ago..We love it..We have a Saturn but we cannot pull it because it weights 3800lbs..Be careful of weight of your vehicle..Does anyone know where you can get the oil changed instead of going to Mercedes dealer and how much does it cost???
goodhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #9

Tremain

Any Dodge Sprinter dealer can work on it. Buy the oil, filter and diesel filter outside to save some money. Be sure and use an ME 229.5 synthectic oil to maintain your warranty. I use Mobil One. My dealer had the wrong oil in my coach when I left the dealership. Takes 13 quarts with filter change and will burn one quart every 600 to 1000miles, carry extra on board.
Tremain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #10

I change my own oil in my truck. Hoping to do the same on camper. I'll let you know how much trouble it is after I put another 1000 miles on it.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #11

Solera towing

Has anyone used the Solera to tow a vehicle at or near the towing capacity of 3500# and how is the cruising and handling? Thanks
Stever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #12

We tow an '86 Suzuki Samurai (which only comes in at slightly above 2000lbs). To our surprise it didn't affect mpg when towing (we however kept it down to 55mph).

We towed up into the CA Sierra (Huntington Lake) and no issues up hill at all. The Diesel still has enough power (and good gearing in the transmission) to tow easily. Our fresh water tank was full as well. Cruising and handling wasn't any different than before.

The only thing I noticed was going downhill you could feel the little Sami actually pushing as engine breaking capacity was reduced (no surprise there).

If you tow near the limit (3500 instead of our 2000+ lbs) this will be a bit different. It will push downhill much harder and uphill the RV will not move as quickly as before....

All this is with a '11 Solera..... previous versions might not do as good as they have about 30HP less....
Reiner
Old 09-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #13

We towed our jeep wrangler (4400#) from Oklahoma City to Ouray Colorado last month. Did great till we got to Monarch Pass. We unhooked near the top and drove the rest of the way. Then towed it back to OKC after we cleared Monarch Pass. Fuel mileage was upper 11mpg. Towed at 60 mph, no problems. Used a Blue Ox tow bar.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stever View Post
Has anyone used the Solera to tow a vehicle at or near the towing capacity of 3500# and how is the cruising and handling? Thanks

We drove to Michigan to pick up our Solera. On our way back, we rent a dolly from U-Haul and tow our Toyota Yaris with it. Came back all the way to Montreal without any problem. Hardly noticed we were pulling something.
The Toyota weight is 3300 lbs and the dolly probably 400 more.

We will probably have the Yaris equiped with the blue ox or roasmaster for our trip to Texas next spring.
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:59 AM   #15

We pulled the wrangler the first time with a very cheap tow bar that connected to the receiver ball, that didn't work for us (very noisey and clanking) We upgraded to a Blue Ox and that made a world of difference!!
Oh by the way we happen to have a really good tow bar for sale cheap!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #16

I ordered HWH levelers at Camping World when they came in the tech said he could not install them no room. I went under the motorhome with him and he was right no room. If anyone has any info let me know.
Poppy Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #17
Commercial Member

A full blown leveling system is too much weight anyway. There is a "2 point" hydraulic stabilizer system that is available from the Big Foot Levelers. We offer them as an option from the factory, but I think you can order them yourself as well.
Bigfoot - Quadra Manufacturing

I'm not sure it's on the website yet, you may need to call. They work well.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote