Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2012, 01:18 AM   #1

New Solera owner looking for insurance

My Wife and I just bought a 2011 Solera that we pick up in a week. We rented an RV last summer and decided to take the plunge. Looking forward to some great adventures.

I'll undoubtedly have lots of dumb questions but for now just curious as to who the good insurers are so I can do some comparison shopping. Seems like there are so many choices and it would be nice to narrow it down to a half dozen or less.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #2

Hartford has some excellent coverage
for a very good price

Progressive will take on most
even with a not so perfect
driving record

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #3

We have progressive. I would highly recommend them, they are very reasonably priced. we have had 2 claims with them, One being our awning broke they replaced it with no problem. And the last incident was out TT's frame bent (not by anything we did), they totaled out trailer & we have full replacement value so they cut us a check for what we had paid for it 6 years ago. They were very fast, with everything. No waiting or haggling about things. We still have them for our new 5th wheel & are only paying $30 more then what we were for our old TT & we had 2 claims. I would highly recommend them to anyone very easy to deal with, reasonably priced & speedy with claims!!!!
Gone but not 4 gotten
bee191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee191 View Post
We have progressive. I would highly recommend them, they are very reasonably priced. we have had 2 claims with them, One being our awning broke they replaced it with no problem. And the last incident was out TT's frame bent, they totaled out trailer & we have full replacement value so they cut us a check for what we had paid for it 6 years ago. They were very fast, with everything. No waiting or haggling about things. I would highly recommend them to anyone!!!
You are wise to check into your choices. Be sure to find out what would be covered or not vs your auto coverage. That part gave me a headache so I am staying with my auto company until things become clearer.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #5

that is someTHING to be noted !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee191 View Post

our TT's frame bent (not by anything we did), they totaled out trailer & we have full replacement value so they cut us a check for what we had paid for it 6 years ago

with all of the talk around here regarding
bent frames

Progressive paid for yours ??

AMAZING I would say !!!

makes me feel a little better
since I also have the same carrier

and some of those welds on my frame
look cheezy to say the least !!!!!

MB
Old 01-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #6

Thanks for the input so far. progressive quoted me a rate of $315.00 per year which seems pretty good from what I've been reading. Coverage seems pretty good too. Got a discount cause I use them for motorcycle insurance plus good driver, etc.

Seem reasonable?
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #7

Depends on which plan. I think the lowest plan was for 30 days of use per year. I picked the next one up which I think is 90 days use each year. So for a 2012 Solera I pay $449 per year with Progressive.
gb73071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
Site Team

Higher deductables will help lower the cost of a policy...to a point. Also different plans offer different amounts of coverage too.

gb73071-
Can you explain the 90 days use each year? Are you limited to how many days of coverage with your policy?

Old 01-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob

with all of the talk around here regarding
bent frames

Progressive paid for yours ??

AMAZING I would say !!!

makes me feel a little better
since I also have the same carrier

and some of those welds on my frame
look cheezy to say the least !!!!!

MB
They totally paid for it, no problems what so ever! I was amazed how fast the claim was, from the time we took it to the dealer to be looked at & insurance having to be called to us getting the check was like a month. Which I think is pretty speedy! They have been nothing but great & also a big plus is our pets are also covered by the insurance when they are in either out truck or camper.
Gone but not 4 gotten
bee191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #10

If you go to the Progressive site they show different rates based on the number of days you plan to use your RV. It has: less than 30 days, 30 to 150 days, more than 150 days, etc. For myself I predicted 90 days would be the max. Therefore a lower rate than if I was a full timer.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb73071 View Post
If you go to the Progressive site they show different rates based on the number of days you plan to use your RV. It has: less than 30 days, 30 to 150 days, more than 150 days, etc. For myself I predicted 90 days would be the max. Therefore a lower rate than if I was a full timer.
I don't understand Progressive but then I am dealing with them with an auto accident (rear ended on freeway - total impact on my hitch). Their customer was found to be 100% at fault but Progressive refused to get my truck fixed. I guess that would be another thread so let's get back to the topic.

Is your RV covered for the whole time but the rates are based upon how often it will be used & number of chances there could an accident? How do they know how often you actually use it? Is it an honor system?

At the RV show in Pomona CA Progressive was one of the companies I was considering for RV coverage among with Farmers. It got too confusing so I stayed with the company I have. Needless to say I won't be using Progressive in the future but am glad to hear that they usually do take care of people well.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #12

You are covered all the time but the picing is based on how much you use your RV. Its honor system for the most part but if you had a serious accident and you had chosen the cheapest tier they may be able to show you had actually used it more than you paid for. I would rather be covered and not worry just to save a few bucks.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb73071 View Post
You are covered all the time but the picing is based on how much you use your RV. Its honor system for the most part but if you had a serious accident and you had chosen the cheapest tier they may be able to show you had actually used it more than you paid for. I would rather be covered and not worry just to save a few bucks.
Thanks for explaining. With Allstate I pay $534 a year with a $50 deductable, $5k personal stuff coverage and no usage limit. Living in SoCal I use my trailer year round.

After looking at the cost of Allstate I can see the value of Progressive to other RVers for coverage.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #14

with Progressive they also ask
where the RV will be parked
better rate if parked at one's home
make sense
MM