Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2018, 08:12 PM   #1

Talking Newbie

Hey all, My wife and I will be taking delivery of our 2011 Solera on Saturday. We are pretty excited! 13000 miles with lots of extras including a HWH 4point level system. I have been reading the threads here for a couple of weeks now but any words to the wise would be appreciated. I am looking at thinking about Good Sam's Road assistance and their extended service plans since we have nothing on our unit. Thanks in advance for any help
CaptMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:11 AM   #2

My grandson and I just took our 2015 Solera 24R out for a Shakedown Run. I am also a Newbie. 1) When you take delivery, make sure you note where everything is ; ie hot water tank fill valves, fresh water close/open valve, gray/black water flush, how a/c works etc. 2) Take a shakedown run close to home where you can do a full hookup incase you forget something, you can always head back and get what you forgot. 3) Get a checklist (on line) to use like pilots use before leaving,
4 Make sure to enjoy and have FUN !
By the way, we have the Good Sam Plans,since like you we have no warantee. Besides, changing a tire is not something that can be done easily on a Class C !!
rflarouere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum from MN.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #4

Welcome from Wisconsin and enjoy your 2011 Solera!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #5

Video the PDI so you can look back about things you do not remember. Look at the checklists here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ist-79114.html

Ask questions about anything you are not clear about.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
2012 Solera

Your 2011 is likely very similar to our 2012. Don't know what mods or upgrades yours has, so these items might not apply, but here are some thoughts from our experiences:
1) Do you have the original Continental tires? Any cracking in the sidewalls? Related - ours came with "AirFlex" airless valve stem extensions and metal cored "high pressure" rubber valve stems. Had leakage problems with the extensions and had a couple of the "high pressure" stems crack and leak. It is hard to find metal valve stems that fit the Mercedes wheels. There are some, and also some long, shaped metal valve stems that eliminate the need for extensions (but inhibit tire rotation). Be aware - valve stems and extensions are a problem area on this vintage Solera. Minimally, suggest you tie the extensions securely to the wheel covers to prevent them from whipping around while driving.
2) Related - this vintage Solera had an issue with losing the rear wheel covers ("simulators") while driving. Can cause a tire valve failure. Many of us use wire ties to secure the simulators to the wheels. The screws you see on the rear simulators do not attach them to the wheels. Really important if you tie the valve stem extensions to the simulators (see above).
3) On mine the glass shower door latch would release while driving, allowing the door to slam around and jump out of its track. Fixed by gluing a piece of 1/4 inch drip irrigation tubing to the door where the latch engaged - making the latch fit securely.
4) This vintage Solera had the Magnadyne dash radio/DVD/GPS unit. Required firmware updates from Magnadyne to work correctly. Recommend just using as radio/DVD/etc and get a separate stand-alone GPS.
5) Mine had a "buzz" in the audio and bars on the TV screen when using the Magnadyne as DVD player for the TV. Solved by adding isolation devices in both the audio and the video wires between the Magnadyne and the TV.
6) On mine, the Slideout motor broke away from the frame and had to be re-welded. Has been okay since. If the slideout fails, you can disconnect the motor (from underneath, through the propane compartment, sort of above the propane regulators) and push the slideout in or out. There should be some pvc pipe pieces in your Motorhome- these are to "lock" the slideout in while driving - not needed when the motor is hooked up, but needed if you disconnect the motor. They go between the slideout and the wall of the Motorhome.
7) Carefully read the Mercedes manual wrt DEF dash warnings. I carry two gallons of DEF with me to add should the DEF warning light come on. Light re-set often requires ignition on - wait for dash lights to go out - start - shut down and repeat sequence. To avoid, I try to add DEF pre-emptively (add a gallon about every 2000 miles).
8) Also can get stability dash warning in heavy cross winds. Okay to ignore and keep driving. This will only reset after an engine shutdown and restart.
9) Note the special Mercedes spec oil required. Also, fuel filter change at 20000 miles. The fuel filter change involves removing the "fresh air" hose input to the turbo. This hose has an adapter ("compensator ring") at the turbo end. If not properly installed this ring can get into - and destroy- the turbo. Be sure anyone changing your fuel filter is VERY knowledgeable on this issue.
10) Note the 5% max biodiesel requirement.

You can find discussions of all of the above earlier in the Solera forum.

We are at 88,000+ miles on ours now - twice to Alaska and once to the East Coast and back - hope you enjoy yours as much as we have ours!
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #7
Robert Mayberry

Newby

Tire stems an issue which after 95,000 miles I'm still struggling with. Mine is a 2011 S also. Last trip I went to Home Depot and bought a piece of the smallest diameter styrofoam pipe insulation they had. Cut off a couple 5 " pieces and inserted it over the long valve stem to keep them from vibrating an d coming loose which gives you a flat tire. Went from San Francisco Bay area to TN and back and it worked perfectly. That insulation snuggles in there really good and keeps the stem from vibrating.
I also have a routine where each day before I head out I walk completely around RV and check that all the compartments are securely closed and that the wheel covers are not starting to come off the rim.

Bob Mayberry
San Francisco Bay
robertmayberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags