Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #1

Newbie questions...

1) I've seen advertised Solera 24S and 24MS. I know the distinction here, the MS model has the Murphy bed and the S version has the smaller bed in the rear amongst other things. I've also seen two different variations of these models, 24 SLED and 24 MSLED. What does the "LED" mean?

2) we test drove a 2011 Solera 24S that was built around the Freightliner chassis/engine. It would seem that Forest River abandoned FreightLiner for Mercedes. Why? Should I stay away from the FreightLiner RV's in my quest to find a Solera for my wife and I? We are leaning toward a new 2013 or left over 2012 model anyway.

3) any reason to go with the diesel generator vs the LP standard generator or is this a matter of preference?

4) we are wanting to get the 24 MS version of the Solera as it has a bigger sleeping arrangement. Anything we should know about this model vs the S model with its smaller rear bed?

5) are there any "must have" options we should know about?

Well, that should about do it. Thanks everybody for making this a great forum.

Mark and Elizabeth Cooperstein
MarkCooperstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
2012 Solera

I would go for an up-graded entertainment/navigation system. I don't care for the Magnadyne system.

I think you would be happier with the MS. Better use of space. The S model bathroom is really cramped.

Turn on the air conditioner to make sure the noise level is to your liking. Mine is too noisy for a small living area. Don't know what option you would have but i'd make it a strong consideration.

Run the slide-out several times to make sure it is 100%. This seems to be a weak point on all RV's.

Best of luck.
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
2012 Solera

My understanding (may be wrong) is that Daimler "private Labeled" the Sprinter Chassis (and vans) as both Dodge and Freightliner while they owned Chrysler and Freightliner. After divesting, they have decided to return to the Mercedes brand for all Sprinter chassis. Basically, all the same truck.
We have the "SLED" - not sure of the differentiation from the "S" - I think some "upgrades" (flush cabinet hinges, glass light lenses, Magnadyne M-4 instead of M-3 (adds GPS), etc).
We like the "S" floorplan because it gives us use of the bed (and everything else) without extending the slide-out - wife sometimes likes afternoon naps...
Ditto on test the slide-out thoroughly. Don't accept dealer excuses for poor slideout performance (low battery, needs lube, they are all like that, etc.). Also, recommend ensure the tire valve extenders are well tied to the wheel covers, which are well tied to the wheels. See the tire and slideout strings in this forum - and the Magnadyne string in "General Tech and Repair / Appliances and Electronics".
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
2018 FR3 30DS

Freightliner and Mercedes Sprinter 3500 are the same vehicle. They may just have different grills...I think that in 2012 they quit using the Freightliner grill and started using Mercedes....
The lp generator works fine for me. I know nothing about the diesel...probably just a matter of choice. However, the diesel genny would use diesel fuel from your fuel tank. I normally buy lp gas at about 2.25 a gallon.

2011 Solera
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
2012 Solera

I also understand the diesel generator is somewhat smaller - 3200 KW vs 3600, I think.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
Commercial Member

1. LED is just our model designation internally.
2. Freightliner/Mercedes. Same chassis different badge. We just like the Mercedes badge.
3. no

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens
1. LED is just our model designation internally.
2. Freightliner/Mercedes. Same chassis different badge. We just like the Mercedes badge.
3. no
Thank you for your reply. Are you saying there's no difference between a Solera 24MS and a Solera 24MSLED? I'm so confused! I noticed on the Forest River web site that the 24MS is available with a "Special Edition" package that bundles a bunch of options. Is that what LED signifies?

Thank you,
Mark
MarkCooperstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCooperstein

Thank you for your reply. Are you saying there's no difference between a Solera 24MS and a Solera 24MSLED? I'm so confused! I noticed on the Forest River web site that the 24MS is available with a "Special Edition" package that bundles a bunch of options. Is that what LED signifies?

Thank you,
Mark
I'm saying ignored the LED. It is only for our internal use in identifying different divisions. It means nothing. The special edition is an option, it will be noted as such on the MSRP

Floor plan is a 24MS. Corporate calls it a 24MSLED to signify what brand it is (solera)

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
Stay Classy San Diego

1. That's been answered, thanks BC!
2. It's the same thing, but 'We bought a Mercedes' sounds much better than 'We bought a FreightLiner'. I have heard that FreightLiner will service them however.
3. We have the LP and like it. It's very quiet!
4. The queen size pillow top Serta mattress is awesome. Husband and I are type A people and like a routine, so setting it up each night is no big deal. I'll time it next time but I don't think it takes more than 60 seconds, tops. The recliners recline at any angle all the way to flat, so if I want to take a nap on it I can. I use the pull out drawer that's underneath for a footrest with a pillow in it. It is very spacious inside and people who come in and see it are surprised as it's so small on the outside. We've stayed in smaller hotel rooms!!
5. There's no such thing as too many options! Order as many as you can. Well, except for the diesel genny and the upgraded air, the standard ones are fine imo.
6. Okay I know there isn't a '6' I just added it! Don't sweat it if you can't test drive your specific unit. I had driven other Sprinters, just not our til I drove it home. Drives and rides like a dream.

Good luck!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #10

Ours is the Freightliner. want to change the grill. $350 just for grill. You can get service at either dealer. Had to take mine in to the Baton Rouge MB dealer for engine light. Brought it in on a Saturday morning. In less than 2 hours they called to tell me it was just a hose that had come loose. No charge and they were very nice. Plan to go back there if ever have problems.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #11

One item that was a big factor for me is the partition between the bedroom/bathroom area and the rest of the unit on the 24 S. As we plan to spend at least a month on the road at various times, my wife can go to bed in the back, pull the partition closed, and I can stay up front to watch tv or read while she sleeps. While space is cramped it also offers privacy when coming out of the shower. I could find no other Cs of the same size that offered that.
gb73071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
Stay Classy San Diego

I don't think I mentioned that we did look at the S. Our dealer had to bring one in from Des Moines for us to look at but we didn't want to make such a big decision without being 100% sure. They were parked side by side and we spent a lot of time going back and forth. In the S model, we really liked the corner bed - it was biggest and most comfortable of any we had seen in that floor plan (vs the view etc). The wardrobe/pantry was really nice. I liked the step up into the bedroom area - that really made it seem like it's own space. And I liked that the sink was outside the bathroom. Essentially I could get ready at the same time my husband was in the shower. Plus, if we brought my 85y/o Mother with us there was plenty of room.
Everyone has to decide which floor plan best suits their needs. They are both great!