Old 06-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbrodie View Post
When we purchased our 2014 Solera, we asked about DEF and the RV dealer said we didn't need it. We asked him if he was sure about that and he looked under the hood and said "No, you don't need it." Do we or don't we?
Well, if you let it run out, your engine will go into limp mode, and you won't have enough power go get out of anyone's way! Yes, you need it. The engine computer will give you a signal on the display when it is getting too low.

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #12

You can get DEF dispensed at the pump in the truck lanes of both Pilot and Flying J. That way is much cheaper (about $2.85/gal) than buying it in a container. Also with a hose and nozzle like the diesel pump it is much easier to fill. I don't know why they haven't added the DEF pump at the RV island yet but expect they will eventually

Old 06-05-2013, 03:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbrodie View Post
When we purchased our 2014 Solera, we asked about DEF and the RV dealer said we didn't need it. We asked him if he was sure about that and he looked under the hood and said "No, you don't need it." Do we or don't we?
Well your dealer had no clue on what he was talking about. You do need it. Read the sprinter manual - it discusses it in there. Your light on the dash will come on about every 4000 miles if you don't fill it up in between. But, don't fear - even I can add DEF when ours needs it - so if I can do it, anybody can! It is sold in all auto parts stores, walmarts and lots of other places. Very easy to find.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #14

I own a 2012 F250 diesel pick-up ...It requires def... I have a message center on the dash ..if i scroll through it when hitting the re-set button it will give a status of the 5 .5 gallon def tank..i had bought a 2.5 gallon jug of def at a Local Ford dealer.. after arriving in Florida last winter i added the whole jug to the def tank. when going home i stopped to re-fuel at a Pilot Travel center and re-filled that jug for around $7 and some change ..hope this helps..remember not to fill your tank to the max.. if temps go below freezing... to allow for expansion..
Old 06-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
I own a 2012 F250 diesel pick-up ...It requires def... I have a message center on the dash ..if i scroll through it when hitting the re-set button it will give a status of the 5 .5 gallon def tank..i had bought a 2.5 gallon jug of def at a Local Ford dealer.. after arriving in Florida last winter i added the whole jug to the def tank. when going home i stopped to re-fuel at a Pilot Travel center and re-filled that jug for around $7 and some change ..hope this helps..remember not to fill your tank to the max.. if temps go below freezing... to allow for expansion..
I didn't know not to fill it to the max. Learned something new, thanks.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #16

NOT TO WORRY! Particularly if filling up while on the road - You'll be continuing to deplete the tank. But according to this, tanks are designed to expand when freezing.

Here's link to everything you need to know about DEF
http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdf...es/MB10033.pdf

Q. What is the freeze point of DEF?
A. A 32.5% solution of DEF will begin to crystallize and freeze at 12 deg F (-11 deg C). At 32.5%, both the urea and water will freeze at the same rate, ensuring that as it thaws, the fluid does not become diluted, or over concentrated. The freezing and unthawing of DEF will not cause degradation of the product.
Q. Does DEF expand when frozen?
A. Yes, DEF expands by approximately 7% when frozen. DEF packaging and tanks are designed to allow for expansion.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
NOT TO WORRY!
Here's link to everything you need to know about DEF
http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdf...es/MB10033.pdf

Q. What is the freeze point of DEF?
A. A 32.5% solution of DEF will begin to crystallize and freeze at 12 deg F (-11 deg C). At 32.5%, both the urea and water will freeze at the same rate, ensuring that as it thaws, the fluid does not become diluted, or over concentrated. The freezing and unthawing of DEF will not cause degradation of the product.
Q. Does DEF expand when frozen?
A. Yes, DEF expands by approximately 7% when frozen. DEF packaging and tanks are designed to allow for expansion.
Thanks ... guess I'm not going to worry about this at all then. I don't think it has ever gone down to 12 degrees F in either Alabama or New Orleans. I wouldn't be going north to camp during the winter either!
Old 06-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiemh View Post
thanks ... Guess i'm not going to worry about this at all then. I don't think it has ever gone down to 12 degrees f in either alabama or new orleans. I wouldn't be going north to camp during the winter either!
lol
Old 06-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #19

Glad I have a 2009 so I don't have the DEF issue!

As for the trickle charge to chassis batteries, it is true they do charge when plugged in. I wish they would also charge when the motor is running (down the road) but they don't.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #20

I don't see DEF as an issue. It helps the fuel burn leaner... estimated 5% improvement in fuel mileage vs 50:1 fuel to DEF consumption, so there's a cost effectiveness. It also burns cleaner vs. belching tons of noxious fumes into the environment. That's always been one of my bugaboos in campgrounds - the Diesels firing up and belching our their smelly exhaust where I breathe. Diesels with SCR have virtually NO odor.