Old 06-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #31

Good to hear. And thank you for all your time reading and responding to questions in all the various threads.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #32

One more question

We have a 2011 Solera. We had been told by our dealer to expect to add DEF at 10,000 miles. We found out yesterday that's not correct! We just went over 6,000. Due to health issues and extended family obligations, we haven't used the motorhome very much.

Yesterday, coming across the panhandle of Oklahoma, our Solera went into limp mode...no warning lights, no digital messages...nothing. We were baffled. The only thing we could think to do was to add DEF.

Fortunately, we were within a half mile of a Love's travel center with DEF at the diesel island pumps. The Freightliner owner's manuals were of no help. We knew where the DEF tank was and found the "key/tool" to use to open it. We finally decided to add 2 gallons (which it held).

I feel sure this has already been answered; but after reading all the posts, I'm still not clear...Is there a digital gage (similar to the digital fuel gage) that will show the level of DEF in the tank? Is there a button to push to make it appear, or is it somewhere other than the dash display? It seems odd that something that is so vital to the proper performance of the engine would be left to memory (as to when to add DEF) and to chance (as to how much to add). I like things precise; I want to know when to add it and how much to add. We do the "rving" as a team, and I'm pretty sure my husband isn't losing any sleep over this "DEF" issue. However, it's driving me crazy!

Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #33

Ours has a little symbol in the middle of the yellow info center that came on. The book said we had 9 more starts so next diesel stop added the def. a container if def fits perfectly in the back corner of the storage compartment (s model) so I just cArry one now
Old 06-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #34

Thank you for such a quick reply. Is the symbol just there when you start the motorhome or does it come on and stay on while you are driving?
Old 06-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by popandgrom View Post
Thank you for such a quick reply. Is the symbol just there when you start the motorhome or does it come on and stay on while you are driving?
The first time ours came on, it stayed on until we added def. And it comes on every 4,000 miles ish. So now I fill up ours about every 3000 miles - so it never comes on. when I use a jug, next time I'm near a store that has it, I replace my jug. That way I will never be without. The little symbol doesn't tell you the amount that is in there, just is a warning to add it.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #36

Just fill the tank. But be careful not to spill any on the coach. It's highly corrosive, so be sure to rinse it off if spilled.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #37

Ours came on while driving in Arizona in 100 degree heat and my wife thought we were overheating
The symbol doesn't say def or anything
We pulled over and turned it off and read the manual and then discovered it was def indicater
It was still on when we restarted and after adding fluid it took a minute to go out
Old 06-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #38

Our GMC holds six gals. That amount should, according to the dealer, last between oil changes. I don't carry any.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjerram View Post
Our GMC holds six gals. That amount should, according to the dealer, last between oil changes. I don't carry any.
If you're not towing, it may last between changes. At a depletion rate of 1:50 vs gasoline/diesel and maybe 8 mpg towing, that would last 2400 miles. Depending on how often you'll be changing oil, it might be a good idea to carry a small container so you don't get caught in limp mode! Does your vehicle have a dashboard warning display?
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #40

Holy frog hair! I never realized towing ate that stuff up! I'm gonna buy a gallon before leaving to go Jellystone. No, there is no dashboard indicator. THANK YOU for showing me the err of my ways!

Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote