Old 04-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #1

NHTSA "TAKATA" Air bag recall #16V-077

Yesterday got my Mercedes Benz Letter concerning subject. Called their service center to make an appointment to replace airbag to find "NONE ARE AVAILABLE!" Looks like it will be a long time to get this all resolved. In the meantime what do we do to be "Safe!" Not sure what to do -Like to turn off. Any suggestions?

CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"

Old 04-30-2016, 09:05 AM   #2

Keep in mind that only a small percentage of the devices are faulty.

I got the recall notice as well but don't plan to stop using the rig because of it. I also expect it will take a fair amount of time for them to come up with a fix. Lots of sourcing, testing, certification, etc. involved. You can't rush that work or risk end up with something worse than before.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:56 PM   #3

Since it's basically a sprinter van modified by FR into an RV, there is NOTHING you can do, if you still want to use your RV. If it was just a sprinter van you would have recourse with the dealer that would back charge the air bag mfg for a rental while it was in the shop.
Try getting them to lend you an RV, fat chance! Drive safe has more meaning than ever.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
If it was just a sprinter van you would have recourse with the dealer that would back charge the air bag mfg for a rental while it was in the shop.
Given that Mercedes hasn't engineered, let alone built, a fix for the problem it's gonna be a long time before anyone gets a replacement air bag. And, given that the original air bag manufacturer has sold 10's of millions of these things for vehicles all over the world, I think there are exactly two chances that your local Mercedes dealer is going to do anything near term for any Sprinter owner - van or RV ... slim and none.

YMMV.

Dave
Old 05-02-2016, 08:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Given that Mercedes hasn't engineered, let alone built, a fix for the problem it's gonna be a long time before anyone gets a replacement air bag. And, given that the original air bag manufacturer has sold 10's of millions of these things for vehicles all over the world, I think there are exactly two chances that your local Mercedes dealer is going to do anything near term for any Sprinter owner - van or RV ... slim and none.

YMMV.

Dave
Hey Dave, a couple things, if you're going to cut and paste a post of mine, please don't have it change the gist of my comment. If you re-read my entire post, you will see I said what you just reiterated.

Also, MB doesn't mfg air bags, they buy the component from others, like Takata, who is on the hook ultimately here. When the recall is so massive, and replacements can only be produced so fast, they WILL NOT, give you a loaner RV while yours in in the shop for swap out. Just sayin'
Old 05-02-2016, 08:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Hey Dave, a couple things, if you're going to cut and paste a post of mine, please don't have it change the gist of my comment. If you re-read my entire post, you will see I said what you just reiterated.
Perhaps you missed the point I was making. Your post indicated that the owner of a Sprinter van (not an RV) might get relief from a Mercedes dealer. The point I was making was that it was very, very unlikely that Mercedes would be able to do anything for van owners (let alone RV owners.)

That's all.

Sorry for the confusion.

Dave
Old 05-02-2016, 09:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
Perhaps you missed the point I was making. Your post indicated that the owner of a Sprinter van (not an RV) might get relief from a Mercedes dealer. The point I was making was that it was very, very unlikely that Mercedes would be able to do anything for van owners (let alone RV owners.)

That's all.

Sorry for the confusion.

Dave
Noted. But heres the skinny going on out there. I, know for a fact, that an individual put his foot down when they told him there was nothing he (dealer) could do. He was scheduled for Takata air bag replacement so, please contact us (dealer) to make an appointment. The cars in the dealer lot in for replacement were stacked. The reason is they are pounding them out as many per day as possible, and don't want to have a gap in vehicles in the hopper to work on. So, he dropped off his car and demanded a loaner, got one and drove it two weeks on Takata's dime. All in the name of; " so your telling me i' m driving a time bomb if I get in an accident" if I choose not to leave it making it all on me. Nope, got him a loaner. They won't give you a loaner RV. Just sayin'
Old 05-02-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

So in the meantime you have an expensive motorhome you cannot drive and feel safe from an exploding safety device. Kinda ironic.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
So in the meantime you have an expensive motorhome you cannot drive and feel safe from an exploding safety device. Kinda ironic.
Yeppers, that just about sums it up! Whats really ironic is that some shyster lawyer will get one third plus expenses, and your the one at risk. Now thats really ironic.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #10

What year unit on the airbag recall?

Richard, Wanda and LadyBug

Tags
recall