Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #1
seahorse
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Posts: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to edcarter101
Smile Nitrogen in tires

Does anyone use nitrogen in your tires? If so, how do you like it? It seems that so few dealers carry it that it may be a problem.
__________________

__________________
Ed , Betty, Pepi' & Honey (Chihuahuas)
edcarter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:48 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
fonzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 3,237
So many threads on subject, I just use air......

https://www.google.ca/search?q=nitro...FYeMyASdyYK4DA
__________________

__________________
Fonzie
2011 Rockwood 8319SS with ProPride 3P hitch/GoodYear Marathons/TST TPMS 507
2008 F250 Lariat CC SB 6.8L V10 4.10 axle ratio (NITTO TERRA GRAPLER G2 LT275/65R20E)
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Oaklevel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,535

Many threads on this but for us have had it in a car and in the camper saw no difference in tire wear or fuel mileage it just lightens your wallet for typical use.

__________________

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 119
So basically you are already using 78% nitrogen. That's good enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
So many threads on subject, I just use air......

https://www.google.ca/search?q=nitro...FYeMyASdyYK4DA
__________________
ericlakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #5
Anacortesians
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 1,167
Based on my research at Boeing, unless your rig can accelerate to 150 mph in 2 miles with a dragging brake, then you put the wheels in a closed box, you don't need to waste money on nitrogen.

I reviewed an in-flight tire burst that nearly caused a fatal crash of a 727 where the above scenario occurred. Based on that review, Boeing and the FAA mandated nitrogen for transport category airplanes.
__________________
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
NCBBA11043's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 135
Think about it . . .

So, if one of the benefits of using nitrogen is that less "air" will escape due to the nitrogen molecule being larger AND if air consists primarily of nitrogen . . .
After a while, wouldn't the tire be filled with almost all nitrogen? If "air" escapes through the tire, it should NOT be nitrogen. You add more air, more air escapes, nitrogen stays behind, repeat
Am I missing something?
__________________
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #7
New to Forest River
 
Roving Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 98
My Rockwood 2703WS came with nitrogen filled tires. We travel rather extensively and due to changes in air temperature and altitude I found myself with the dilemma of accepting cold tire pressures that were above or below the recommended 50 lbs or use air to adjust them. Since 100% Nitrogen is not readily available I opted for using a small air compressor to maintain the tire pressure at 50lbs.


Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
__________________
Grey Nomads:l Ron & Sue
Roving Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roving Ron View Post
My Rockwood 2703WS came with nitrogen filled tires. We travel rather extensively and due to changes in air temperature and altitude I found myself with the dilemma of accepting cold tire pressures that were above or below the recommended 50 lbs or use air to adjust them. Since 100% Nitrogen is not readily available I opted for using a small air compressor to maintain the tire pressure at 50lbs.


Grey Nomads, Ron and Sue
Same here. When I upgraded the China Bombs to Goodyear Marathons LR-Ds I saw no sense in paying the shop $30 more for Nitrogen. Besides, I have a portable compressor to top my tires off
__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:20 PM   #9
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBBA11043 View Post
So, if one of the benefits of using nitrogen is that less "air" will escape due to the nitrogen molecule being larger AND if air consists primarily of nitrogen . . .
After a while, wouldn't the tire be filled with almost all nitrogen? If "air" escapes through the tire, it should NOT be nitrogen. You add more air, more air escapes, nitrogen stays behind, repeat
Am I missing something?
That's the best reasoning I've heard. Sure blows the 100% N2 believers out of the water!

Y'all dun good!
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Sandiegodoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 624
My jeep came with nitrofill. Didn't realize till took it home. Only advantage I saw was haven't had to add any air to those big tires yet. (2 years)



Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tire, tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.