Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
FRESNO FOREIGN

No dinette lights

Hi Iam new to this forum. I just took delivery of my new Solera this passed
weekend and found no dinette lights working. I have no voltage to the switch or the light assemblies. everything else in the coach works fine. I checked
all the fuses to be sure in the step cover and all are ok. I am wondering if a
wire got disconnected as the dinette slides out. Anybody out there have any ideas before I go 100 miles to the nearest dealer. Iam a Mercedes technician and love the sprinter models. It really drives like a car!
Thanks for any help you can send my way. Good rving!
FRESNO FOREIGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #2

This off the subject but since you work on Mercedes and I,am new to this engine also on a 2011 SOLERA what oil would you suggest that I use. I have a duramax diesel and use SHELL ROTELA in it. Any info would be great.
Poppy Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #3

Sorry I forgot to say welcome to the forum. Wereally enjoy our Solera. Look under search for the solera forum.
Poppy Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy Bill View Post
This off the subject but since you work on Mercedes and I,am new to this engine also on a 2011 SOLERA what oil would you suggest that I use. I have a duramax diesel and use SHELL ROTELA in it. Any info would be great.

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRESNO FOREIGN View Post
weekend and found no dinette lights working. I have no voltage to the switch or the light assemblies. everything else in the coach works fine. I checked
wire got disconnected as the dinette slides out. Anybody out there have any ideas before I go 100 miles to the nearest dealer. Iam a Mercedes technician and love the sprinter models. It really drives like a car!
Not a motor home driver, but is there a master switch for that area?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRESNO FOREIGN View Post
You might try resetting all the GFI switches you can find on your model. IMO There should be at least one in the bathroom area.
Cajundjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #7

On our TT the wires were not attached at the slide out. They used the butt connectors at the factory and did not push the wires in far enough before they crimped the connection. You might not have the same problem but could be a place to start.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy Bill View Post
You may want to a key word search at:

Sprinter-Source.com - The best reSource for Sprinter van owners and enthusiasts.

for oil, etc for Sprinters.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundjb View Post
You might try resetting all the GFI switches you can find on your model. IMO There should be at least one in the bathroom area.
Are most of the lights not 12volts? If so, resetting the GFI will not help.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
This is true.
I let it go because it would not hurt and he might find out where they all are.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Well, it worked in my 2011.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
2018 FR3 30DS

Fresno foreign

Welcome to the Solera Forum.
My Soleral is a 2011. I assume that you have a more recent model. I know there are some changes in the newer models. On my Solera, on the master electric panel above the fridge are two switches..one for the bedroom and the other for the kitchen. you might check and see if both these switches are turned on...
Slow_movin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
FRESNO FOREIGN

Hi,Mercedes recommends oil spec 229.5 oil and it will say that on the oil bottle. I know mobil 1 0w-40 has that spec but you may use other weights.
As it says MB approval 229.5 fo the long oil change interval. I will probably change my oil sooner than the 10k miles.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
FRESNO FOREIGN

Thats what Iam think what has happened with mine on the slide out as everything else works fine. I will double check all the other switches and the GFI plugs. Thanks again for all your help folks. Happy rving!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
Coachmen Adrenaline

Fresno...The GFI plugs should have nothing to do with your problem. I am assuming you have a Solera 24S being as you mentioned no voltage to the switch that controls the light above the dinette. I would start by checking the connection where the 12Vdc comes up through the slide floor and ties into the wire going to the switch. This is located under the rear seat of the dinette. take off the cushion, remove a couple screws, and the wood panel comes right up. You could also remove the drawer, providing access to where these wires connect. First option gives much more room and easier access. You should see a green/white wire coming up through the floor. This is the power line for the slideout lighting. It is possible one of the bell cap connections has come undone in transit, or something else of the sorts. If the connections in this location are good, please send me a pm so I can guide you through a couple other possible spots.
The wire may not be green and white now that I think of it. It may be black and white.
jamiller45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #16

Fresno, I apologize for wasting your time with an idea that would take about 5 minutes at most, to try, as opposed to having to drive 100 miles. I promise it won't happen again because I'm signing off of this forum for the last time in an effort to leave the troubleshooting, etc to the "experts" here. If it were possible on my end, I would delete all my posts to save everyone any work...
Old 05-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Not sure anyone was rude...simply said that the GFi shouldn't have anything to do with the 12V system. I think jamiller45 posted a pretty thorough explanation without bashing any other suggestions.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundjb View Post
Well, it worked in my 2011.
Brian,

I am thinking this was the "root cause" of his decision to leave (if he actually has).

I post mistaken troubleshooting comments all the time, I try not to, but I do. If anyone questioned a comment I made, I try to find out why I thought the way I did and try to track down the right answer. (just check out the water heater thread running now)

I have disproved more of my own stuff, as not; sometimes before anyone else catches my mistake (see the Nitrogen tire thread where I confused O2 and N2 at least once while typing.)

Some folks can't take criticism in any form.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #19
FRESNO FOREIGN

Thanks for the info Jamiller45, I removed the cushion and wood panel and found the black and white wires. All appear to be connected securely.
Still have no voltage to those connectors. Looks like they go under the coach. I ran out of time last night, but it looks like I'll have to trace them underneath and see where the go.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #20
Coachmen Adrenaline

You know just to be certain...I guess I should have asked this right away. Is your furnace working? Fuse position 4 in your breaker box is for the furnace...However, the power for your slide lights is that same circuit, after the furnace. Yes I know it doesn't make sense.
jamiller45 is offline   Reply With Quote