Old 04-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #11

OK. so today I decided to try to troubleshoot these lights.

I tried to drop the dual fixture nearest to the control panel, planning to check for a ground and to see if all wire nuts were in place, etc.

When I remove the screws holding the fixture to the ceiling it would not drop down out of the ceiling. Its as though it's cable tied up tight inside.

I can see a panel behind the bulb that looks like it might access the connections, but not wanting the destroy anything I stopped short of prying it off.

Anyone been into these fixtures to know how they are wired? What is holding it up so tight to the ceiling?

Old 04-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #12

There are spring tabs holding the fixture in the ceiling. If you pull hard enough, it will come out. (One of the springs may pop off, but they're easy to replace).

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #13

Thanks for the info on dropping the light fixture.

turns out in my model, there are simply three or four screws holding the fixture to the ceiling. I overlooked the ones inside the rim of the fixture.

Once all screws are removed, the fixture drops down easily - no clips on my model - and the panel behind the bulb is merely a heat shield - no access to the wiring.

On to the original problem.

Once I dropped one of the fixtures the lights began to work. I'm guessing a semi-loose ground somewhere behind the the control panel on the wall.

Thanks to those that responded.

More later.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:35 PM   #14

I had one light that didn't work. turned out it was a defective bulb (make sure you replace it with one you know works because you can't tell by just looking for a 'burnt out' bulb)
Old 05-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #15

Intermittent problems,,,the worst.

OK, so at my post I mentioned that the lights began to work again after merely dropping a couple of the fixtures from the ceiling. I'm guessing that this pulled on the wires enough to cause it to make contact.

I really need to know what the wiring behind the control panel looks like.

Any help here FR?
Old 05-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #16

Intermittent problems,,,the worst.

OK, so at my post I mentioned that the lights began to work again after merely dropping a couple of the fixtures from the ceiling. I'm guessing that this pulled on the wires enough to cause it to make contact.

After a day on the road, the lights no longer work. The "living room" lights and the 'kitchen" lights do not work. All other 12 volt items work correctly.

I really need to know what the wiring behind the control panel looks like. I know the LR and K switches share a 12 volt feed, but where are the grounds tied?

Any help here FR?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #17

I am having the same problem with my 3121ds. I will be very interested in the fix!. I bought mine new in november, so it is under warranty. If I can get it fixed, I will let you know what they did.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #18

Ikin, what are 3121d's. Cousin, I know forum memper Papap helped me out with a basic wiring diagram for a 24s. Look up his posts and see if he can help out.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:09 PM   #19

Sorry, I have a forester model 3121DS.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #20

Lights have been working fine for a couple of months. I'm guessing a loose ground wire since both kitchen and or circuits went dead. Looks to be an intermittent problem. Without knowing where the grounds are tied together hard to know where to look for the loose connection