Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #21
2015 Forester MBS 2401W
 
HomeOnWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
Reducing the power draw from the campground pedestal leaves more available power for the A/C unit. One way to do that is to switch the water heater and refrigerator to LP.
I don't bring voltmeter to campground so am never aware of this potential problem. If you run fridge, water heater and AC etc all on shore power, does the low V harm the appliances?
__________________

__________________
Jeff
2015 Forester MBS 2401W
HomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post
I don't bring voltmeter to campground so am never aware of this potential problem. If you run fridge, water heater and AC etc all on shore power, does the low V harm the appliances?
As you can see, this can be a big mistake. Not knowing the voltage can result in an expensive air conditioner replacement. Low voltage means high current in the compressor motor. Enough to burn one up. Not to mention frying the magnetron in your microwave.

Volt meters are CHEAP insurance:

Amazon.com: Prime Products 12-4055 AC Voltage Line Meter: Automotive

Amazon.com: Camco 55263 120V AC Line Voltage Meter: Automotive

Any voltage in the red will damage your inductive loads (air conditioner and microwave) over time, cause unreliable operation in your electronics (radio, TV and computers), and make resistive loads (water heater, refrigerator (on AC) and your converter) woefully inefficient.

Had I plugged into the one that read "high", it would have cost me about $3000 in repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1069.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	80880   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1398.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	80881  
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #23
2015 Forester MBS 2401W
 
HomeOnWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
As you can see, this can be a big mistake. Not knowing the voltage can result in an expensive air conditioner replacement. Low voltage means high current in the compressor motor. Enough to burn one up. Not to mention frying the magnetron in your microwave.

Volt meters are CHEAP insurance:

Amazon.com: Prime Products 12-4055 AC Voltage Line Meter: Automotive

Amazon.com: Camco 55263 120V AC Line Voltage Meter: Automotive

Any voltage in the red will damage your inductive loads (air conditioner and microwave) over time, cause unreliable operation in your electronics (radio, TV and computers), and make resistive loads (water heater, refrigerator (on AC) and your converter) woefully inefficient.

Had I plugged into the one that read "high", it would have cost me about $3000 in repairs.
Thank you! Just bought a voltmeter to bring along.
__________________
Jeff
2015 Forester MBS 2401W
HomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:01 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 61
AS the one who started all this chatter about my refer not showing any 'ON' light when on gas, not Auto, thanks for the replies and help. I am now the happy owner of a meter to test 110 when I plug in.
__________________
Solera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Ozark, MO
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
This poor or less:
OK, so you check the voltage and it's in the red. Do you just use your generator for the duration of your stay? Move to another site? Find another campground?
__________________
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:48 PM   #26
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbnb View Post
OK, so you check the voltage and it's in the red. Do you just use your generator for the duration of your stay? Move to another site? Find another campground?
What I did was NOT plug in and notified the owner. He came out an verified something was wrong with that leg of the campground. He checked the site behind me and it was on a different leg (and I verified it was OK), so I used my extension cord and plugged in there.

If the entire campground was high and they could not fix it quickly, I would move on (or boondock on generator till they got it repaired).
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gas, light

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.