Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels
I don't bring voltmeter to campground so am never aware of this potential problem. If you run fridge, water heater and AC etc all on shore power, does the low V harm the appliances?
As you can see, this can be a big mistake. Not knowing the voltage can result in an expensive air conditioner replacement. Low voltage means high current in the compressor motor. Enough to burn one up. Not to mention frying the magnetron in your microwave.
Volt meters are CHEAP insurance:
Amazon.com: Prime Products 12-4055 AC Voltage Line Meter: Automotive
Amazon.com: Camco 55263 120V AC Line Voltage Meter: Automotive
Any voltage in the red will damage your inductive loads (air conditioner and microwave) over time, cause unreliable operation in your electronics (radio, TV and computers), and make resistive loads (water heater, refrigerator (on AC) and your converter) woefully inefficient.
Had I plugged into the one that read "high", it would have cost me about $3000 in repairs.
Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW