Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #1

Noisy Wheel Covers (Hubcaps) on 2013 24S

We've had a lot of trouble with noisy wheel covers (hubcaps) on our 2013 Solera 24S. When we remove then re-attach a wheel cover (e.g. for tire rotation or to put on new tires) this usually triggers a loud squeaking/creaking sound with each wheel rotation. We've had this with all 4 wheel covers at various times. Not every time we remove and re-attach a wheel cover, but more often than not. The noise is loud enough to be heard inside the cab, and is really annoying, especially at slow speeds when it's not drowned out by road noise.

The various tire shops where we've had the work done can't give us a definitive cause or resolution. Usually the solution is to re-position the wheel cover, hoping it solves the problem. Spraying the rim with brake cleaner or WD40 seems to reduce or eliminate the noise temporarily. In some cases, the squeaking just goes away over time. It's been a constant guessing game, causing us to try and avoid removing the wheel covers unless absolutely necessary.

Our wheel covers are the standard ones provided by Forest River (pressure fit with sharp steel clips that grab the rim), along with yellow Air-Flexx valve extensions (also from Forest River).

Have you had this problem? Any suggestions on the cause on how to resolve it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
KingoftheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:44 PM   #2

Please look up a previous thread regarding hub caps seperating from the rim due to wear on those points. One of the posters , as I recall, came up with the reason why Solera owners were expierencing wheel cover seperation. In short, if you're caps are making noise, you have movement of some kind. Movement, might mean wear on the pressure points that secure the caps to the wheel. Research that thread, so you understand what might be causing your situation.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:06 AM   #3

If the cap isn't loose, it sounds like the rim is flexing under the load. Could it be your coach is over loaded on one or more wheels? Have you ever checked it on a scale?
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #4

Seems like either the cover is moving or the wheel is flexing. On my 2011, the covers are very difficult to remove. Takes quite a bit of prying force to get them to budge. I have heard others remove quite easily and some have fallen off.

If yours come off without a lot of force, I would inspect the retaining tabs. Make sure they are all there and maybe see if you can tweak them slightly to make the cap fit tighter. If you can, give that a try and see if it makes the squeak go away.

Not sure what to do if the wheel is flexing. I would think that would require a serious overload situation.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #5

The last post made me think about this more. I believe the cause of the problem is the wheel cover is not tight enough. Even at rated loads the wheel rim will likely flex a little bit. You want the cover tight enough so the cover will not move relative to the rim as it flexes. Thus the cover will flex with the rim yielding no squeaks.
Still think a scale check of the wheels would be a good idea unless you are sure there is no possibility of overloading.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:28 PM   #6

May not be remotely close to your issue but, I own a Berk and some of us have had the same noise. It appears the wheel flex against the cap makes a "squeak" during rotation. Go to a local store and buy a thin weather stripping foam insulation roll. I went to Lowes and got 1/4 inch 13 ft roll. Took off the hubs, cleaned them, and then put the stripping on the underside edge of the cap where it meets the rim of the wheel. Noise is gone. Like I said, don't know if this will help with yours or not. Good luck.
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #7

Ok, I thought you guys would research it based on my earlier post. The reason has been discussed " in depth". This is Solera specific to the best of my knowledge, so read this post from an owner under #112. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-15493-12.html But, read the whole thread to appreciate what went into the conclusion.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, cover, wheel