Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #1

OH NO Not AGAIN !!!!!

Got the MH back from Freightliner and all looks good. Head out for a two week trip and after 200 miles the CEL and Def Light come on again and starts countdown is going down. Back to Freightliner again. I am tired of loading and unloading. In 30 years of RV travel never had so much trouble. Please remind me again why I purchased a Sprinter.
BadBob
BadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #2

That sucks, Bob, sorry to hear. Maybe give an MBS dealer a go at it? I do recall that you are not very close to one, though. (Maybe you can camp out at one)

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:07 AM   #3
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

I'm so sorry to hear that.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #4

Will give Redding Freightliner a call today and hope they can get it in and find the problem. Was in the shop for a month last time for same problem. Think they only have one guy that works on the Sprinters. May need to look for another shop if problem is not solved. My dealer De Martini RV has taken care of the few problems with the coach and been very good to work with. May give them a call and see if they have any good shops they can refer me to for the Sprinter repairs.
Thank You
BadBob
Old 04-27-2015, 08:16 AM   #5

I agree. You should look for another sprinter shop. They sell loads of those things to delivery companies and such and you should have no problem finding a place that works on these all the time.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:47 AM   #6

When we owned our Winnebago ERA (2012 Sprinter) I always had it serviced at my local Mercedes dealership. It was branded as a Mercedes so they took care of it under warranty. Not sure if you're under warranty or not and perhaps that could be an issue if you are getting warranty work performed. If no warranty, I'd think the Mercedes folks would be your best choice.
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #7

Just because it has a Mercedes badge doesn't mean every Mercedes dealership will work on it. The dealer must be an authorized Sprinter dealer to perform warranty work.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
jkoenig24

I put over 30,000 miles on my 2010, 3500 series Sprinter without any issues. The DEF light came on each time AFTER I logged just over 9,000 miles. I could never make it to 10k when I'd bring it into MB for its' 10K service. I'd just add a 2.5 gallon jug of DEF I'd bought at Walmart to turn off the warning. The dealer would then just top off the DEF tank as part of the service.

If you haven't been to a Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer for service, I'd recommend you try one.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob View Post
Got the MH back from Freightliner and all looks good. Head out for a two week trip and after 200 miles the CEL and Def Light come on again and starts countdown is going down. Back to Freightliner again. I am tired of loading and unloading. In 30 years of RV travel never had so much trouble. Please remind me again why I purchased a Sprinter.
BadBob
I have posted on this topic before. It appears your problem might be the conflict between the emissions and main engine computers. They both need to be replaced. However, they are expensive, so like others have suggested, you need to take it to a MB dealer that specializes in sprinters and plead your case. Their should be internal TSB's (technical service bulletins) on this issue. AND for that reason, you need the latest information, which probably is accessible the easiest from a MB dealer. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #10

Just got home from dropping the 2014 24R off at freightliner. They are a Sprinter dealer and it is covered under warranty. They had several Sprinter motorhomes and delivery vehicles sitting waiting for repairs. Service manager said they have had many units with this problem and hoped some of the computer upgrades would have helped. They will see what they can find and will contact Mercedes foe help if needed. Think they are trying very hard to fix this and will see what happens. If unable to get the job done with them I will make the three hour trip a dealer in Sacramento.
Thank You Guys
BadBob
Old 04-28-2015, 09:30 AM   #11

S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob View Post
Just got home from dropping the 2014 24R off at freightliner. They are a Sprinter dealer and it is covered under warranty. They had several Sprinter motorhomes and delivery vehicles sitting waiting for repairs. Service manager said they have had many units with this problem and hoped some of the computer upgrades would have helped. They will see what they can find and will contact Mercedes foe help if needed. Think they are trying very hard to fix this and will see what happens. If unable to get the job done with them I will make the three hour trip a dealer in Sacramento.
Thank You Guys
BadBob
Let me reiterate what my friend went through, BEFORE the last dealer fessed up and admitted that both computers needed to be replaced. Keep in mind that his ordeal was tracked by his paper work and his persistence in presenting his case. He visited "three" different dealers while in route (camping), because thats when his failures occured, which were far away from his home base. It was only after the third dealer said something to the effect, we don't really know what the glitches are in the two computers talking to each other, but we have had sucess replacing both. The dealer went to bat and convinced MB to allow the replacement. His problem NEVER returned. Heck, if I was MB, I sure would balk at the course he finally ended up with, just based on cost alone. He also said they were in contact with the MB engineers back in Germany during their hunt for the final fix.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #12

Call from Freightliner today and they contacted Mercedes with the computer read out for the CEL and Def light. Mercedes says to replace the nox sensors and that should fix the problem. Parts should arrive tomorrow so hope to have my Solera back on Monday. Sure hope this solves the problem.
BadBob
Old 04-30-2015, 03:56 PM   #13

Hope they are right. They went the same route with my friend until they agreed to change out the ECM and emissions computer. Program updates, NOX sensors change out, didn't solve his problem. Lets hope it does solve yours.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #14

You may have the answer Still Kickin but looks as if I will have to let them try the elimination process. Guys at Freightliner really trying hard to get this all worked out
so will see what happens. If this fails I will push for the computer replacement.
Thank You
Bad Bob
Old 06-04-2015, 07:53 AM   #15

BadBob I had a windshield cracked in march mb replaced under warranty. When they brought my 2014 r back, cel light was on. mb pickup. Codes p16cf00 & p18bd00.Mb replaced adblue metering valve. retested next day went into safe mode. Replaced boost pressure sensor. Returned camper to me.I took a trip 2 weeks ago about 360 miles round trip. About 80 miles in cel & def lights came on. About 100 miles in started count down at 10.Drove to destination. Started home count down still at 10.Mb invoice showed code p18b800 & p18b800.Replaced upstream & downstream nox sensors, particulate filter. I talked to Sprinter service manager told me he thought my problem comes from idling to much. I let mine idle in winter 1/2 hr to an hour every month. Told me to take it out and drive it instead. I have no confidence in sprinter. I am still not confidant problem is solved. I told mb about problems other are having. He said make sure other are using Camper as I am. I have not had the opportunity to use a lot in year 2 months since I bought camper only 2168 miles but still not sold on answers. Good luck with yours
billwill67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #16

billwill67- They replaced the nox sensors and took a trip and cel came on but then went off after a few starts. Seems as if cel comes on after refueling and later goes off. Am leaving on a short trip Sunday so will see what happens. Believe if I have to cancel another trip I will give up on the Mercedes. Glad I kept my 2002 Chevy 2500 fuel hag as it is dependable. Will just have to take the hit on money and go back to a fiver. Happy with the motorhome but not the Mercedes platform.
BadBob
Old 06-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to Pedrodasdas
I got the same problem with the CEL and, also, can make a lien with refueling. Comes on and goes off, I just do not pay attention to it anymore. In fact, seems the sprinter runs better and get better milleage when the CEL is on !!!
Mise is a 2010 with 38,000 miles on it.

Pierrôt and Sylvie D'Astous, Solera 2011
38 on 50 states, 9 on 10 provinces.
Pedrodasdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #18

badbob Just took a 100 mile trip with no lights coming on.MB ran with more power. Talked to 2 different FedEx drivers. Both said cel & def lights came on all the time. They said they didn't know what the fix was, but took my home number and would give it to their mechanics.
billwill67 is offline   Reply With Quote