Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecopco View Post
Went to our local NAPA today and they don't have 0w30 ESP X1 Can you buy it online somewhere for $5.99 qt.?

2015 Solera 24R
They don't keep it at my local Napa either, but they order it and it came the next day. I called the store and they ordered it then I went to the store and picked it up.. This way you should not have to pay any shipping. Check Napa's web site to get their part number.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...0000%26Nty%3d1
Old 06-06-2015, 01:26 PM   #22

I also called the Local NAPA store and they ordered it (18 quarts-Via Part Number: MOB 121218) and I will pickup on Tuesday next week. Thanks for the heads up!!!
18X 5.99=$161.82
-$54.00 Savings
$107.82 subtotal
+7.01 Tax
Total $114.83

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Saaaaweeet!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #24

Just finished 6000 mile trip after the first oil change to 0W30 ESP pulling toad and climbing some steep mountains. Oil level has not moved from the full mark. Have a thousand to go and MBS has been performing flawlessly.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:24 PM   #25

still confused on oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Ok, here is the skinny on this topic. First, DO NOT use that oil in your sprinter. The MB spec you need is 229.51 or the latest spec 229.52. They have discontinued the Mobil 1 ESP formula M 5w-40 and have replaced it with mobil 1 esp 0w-30. Also my research turned up MB brand 5w-30 which states it can only be used in a sprinter. If you use non "esp" mobil branded oil, you risk clogging your DPF diesel particulate filter, and I suspect you run the risk of engine warranty issues as well. Unfortunately, since there are only about 25,000 sprinters sold each year, neither wally world, advanced auto, autozone, etc. carry it as an on the shelf item. Hope that helps. DIYers can save an easy $150 bucks, doing it yourself.
Confused on what grade to use as I am 1/2 quart down on a new MBS / do I want 0-30 or 0-40
About 6K on the odometer and figure the slight use was for the break in period
I do not want to mix grades
Thanks
Steve
stervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:26 PM   #26

Adding Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stervin View Post
Confused on what grade to use as I am 1/2 quart down on a new MBS / do I want 0-30 or 0-40
Thanks
Steve
First of all, it is not necessary (or even desirable) to add oil if you are 1/2 qt. low. The oil level should be between the full and add levels on the dipstick. Second, mixing grades is not a problem as long as you are using the correct spec. 229.52 oil. The 0-40 will give somewhat better performance in hot weather without sacrificing cold weather starting.

Greg
gfior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stervin View Post
Thanks
Steve
A couple things; there is no "break-in " period on modern engines, that went away years ago with advancements in metallurgy. Although many believe otherwise, read up on the subject and you will understand it better. The oil viscosity and .52 spec that came with your Benz should be what you use to top off. I do agree with the other poster that 1/2qt down from full is no issue. Do know that the dipstick reading is sensative to the levelness of the vehicle at reading.
So DO make sure level when checking oil.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Just finished 6000 mile trip after the first oil change to 0W30 ESP pulling toad and climbing some steep mountains. Oil level has not moved from the full mark. Have a thousand to go and MBS has been performing flawlessly.
Fantastic! The motor is bulletproof, if only the emissions could get longevity, but so much gov't regulation just seems to overwhelm the engineers from time to time. Still, the power from a MB 6 cyl. under those weights, still amazes me when you need to step on it from time to time.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:03 PM   #29

I can find that oil spec at a lot of places, with prices all over the board. Original MB oil @ about $8 a quart on the net also. I'm guessing that keeping an eye on the color and viscosity of the oil during it's stay in the crankcase is more important than the mileage,......Eh ??

MERRY CHRISTMAS and safe travels Y'all !!!
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:16 PM   #30

Time Interval?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman64 View Post
I can find that oil spec at a lot of places, with prices all over the board. Original MB oil @ about $8 a quart on the net also. I'm guessing that keeping an eye on the color and viscosity of the oil during it's stay in the crankcase is more important than the mileage,......Eh ??

Uhhh...NO!

OTOH, if you only put on a few thousand a year, you should probably change before the recommended mileage interval. Anyone care to chime in with recommended maximum time interval?

+1 on the Merry Christmas!!!

Greg
gfior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #31

Diesels cause the color of the oil to go darker much faster than gassers. So, no the color is not your guide. Go with mileage is my vote. Since you have a newer model, lets assume MB USA stayed with a mobil 1 product. That comes up on sale twice a year at your local NAPA store. Thats the cheapest we, on this forum have ever encountered. Older posts on this subject have discussed this topic in detail.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman64 View Post

I suggest to run the recommended oil by the manufacturer. They have tested the engine with that spec. Enough said. As far as oil color to tell the quality, never. Viscosity, oil analysis is the way to go. Oil's job is to take out the dirt, and contaminants, color changes in oil very quick but remains good. Actually gets better with age, but a low mileage accrual per year I would change it at least once per year.