Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #21

The Solera has a 38lb propane tank, I don't know why FR doesn't list it as pounds instead of gallons? Most people I know always talk about their propane tanks in pounds.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
The Solera has a 38lb propane tank, I don't know why FR doesn't list it as pounds instead of gallons? Most people I know always talk about their propane tanks in pounds.
Most of the gas stores in my area price their propane by the gallon... Maybe that's why?
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #23

Probably so....
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Seems like motorhome mfg's can't decide either. We're about 50/50 for gallons/lbs looking at other brochures.

Just an FYI, according to my numbers its approximately a 50#(WC) tank. We have 9.8 gallons of usable propane (41.356 lbs assuming 4.22 lbs per gallon). 9.8 is 80% of the actual tank size (9.8/0.8 = 12.25 gallons or 51.695 lbs). If we're splitting hairs.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #25

Thanks for the input I stand corrected.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I'll make it an easy decision...Diesel gen is not available at this time. This gen was being built in overseas, for Onan, not "By Onan". They had some electronic issues and decided to change product or plant (not totally sure which). We can't even get diesel gens at this time...not sure when we will get them going forward.

I'm thinking the diesel gen is a must for me because of the run time. I do not want to go looking for propane after a couple days of camping.

Can a Solera be orderd with the preps for a diesel gen and then installed at a later date?
CHILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I went with propane for the same reason. Plus my expectation that propane will have less odor.

We almost exclusively dry camp. We could never use the a/c in the TT because I only had a single Honda 2000. It will be interesting to see if we use the a/c now that we can.

I also have a Honda 2000, best gen ever made. It will run the A/C on our TT but it dosn't like it so I use the onboard gas gusler.

I don't know the size of the A/C unit on the Solera but have you tried to run the A/C off the 2000?
CHILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #28

You would need 2 to run ac (they make a companion)
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #29

i installed the kit that lets you hook up portable propane bottles to the unit. We tailgate at LSU games ad if you have to run the AC the onboard tank only last one night.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
i installed the kit that lets you hook up portable propane bottles to the unit. We tailgate at LSU games ad if you have to run the AC the onboard tank only last one night.
I have not heard about this kit before now.

Can you provide or point me at more details about this kit?

- Where do you get it?
- What is in it?
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #31

Here it is. http://m.campingworld.com/aHR0cDovL3...doaWxlLzMwMzM5

Old 03-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #32

You can also hook a hose to it for an outside gas grill.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I went with the propane call me Mister green if you like but, it is a cleaner burning fuel. Also the Solera has one 9.8 Gallon/38lb propane tank.
The old pusher had a 7.5kw diesel genny. I'd fire it up every couple weeks and it would belch out diesel fumes into the whole neighborhood! yuk. Only upside was if the power went out, I could run everything of importance in the house from the MH. Same thing with the pusher itself - older diesel was not nearly as clean as the MB, and belched out a lot of fumes, too. (needless to say, I was very popular in the neighborhood when I was running those engines).
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #34
FRESNO FOREIGN

I have the diesel generator in my 2012 24s and I love it, sad to hear they are not available as we speak. I just thought that the propane tank seemed small for the gen. and the out side grill. [ which is great]. the diesel gen is built in Germany for Cummins and being a diesel mechanic it is a great unit. I think its worth the extra money is you new buyers can still get it. May be FR will keep us posted on avail. of the diesel unit. I love the sweet smell of Diesel instead of stinky propane! ha ha!
FRESNO FOREIGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #35
Commercial Member

We're proto typing one right now. The Onan Diesel gen (as I am told) is actually the only unit built for them that "is not" a cummins engine. We're going to look at a Pro_Tech? If all goes well we'll offer it in the fall. If not...we'll just not have an option.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We're proto typing one right now. The Onan Diesel gen (as I am told) is actually the only unit built for them that "is not" a cummins engine. We're going to look at a Pro_Tech? If all goes well we'll offer it in the fall. If not...we'll just not have an option.
Any idea how late in the fall? I'm leaning towards a Diesel gen if I can get it. I'm not familiar with PRO_Tech. Is that a MFG? I am familar with the cummins PROTECH PTO which I have one to run on my tractor. Which wouldn't be usable in an RV.
Chris.W.Bratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #37
Commercial Member

No idea. We have to test it first, then decide. It is a Protech which is a Cummins engine unlike the Onan diesel. that's all I know right now.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #38

As an FYI most of the cummins rv diesel gensets are either Isuzu or Kubota engines. The big hold up is EPA cummins has to have emissions now that are what is considered tier 4 for any mobile unit. So testing has to be done and it has to pass the EPA tests
mshell56118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #39

There are new units out on the market with the diesel gens. but you have to look hard. I'll looking at a used 2013 Solera now for sale that has a propane gen. at a good price. If it does not do what I want it may get swapped out in the future.