Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #1

Onan Gen. diesel vs. propane

Hey ya'll I'm looking for any input on making a decision on wether to go diesel vs. propane gen set. We will be using the unit dry camping riding and racing dirt bikes. What are the specs. or for fuel consumption for the two units?

I think I'm coming down with Solera fever
CHILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Engineer of Crazy Train

Welcome to the forum.

Propane generators gulp propane quickly due to the low amount of energy that propane contains. But, they are a cheaper investment. Diesel generators sip diesel. You also usually have a bigger diesel supply than propane supply. If you fill up both tanks prior to camping, you will go much longer on the diesel than the propane before running out. And, usually the diesel generators taps about 1/4 way up the tank, so you will not have have to worry about running out of fuel for the prime mover.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Propane generators gulp propane quickly due to the low amount of energy that propane contains. But, they are a cheaper investment. Diesel generators sip diesel. You also usually have a bigger diesel supply than propane supply. If you fill up both tanks prior to camping, you will go much longer on the diesel than the propane before running out. And, usually the diesel generators taps about 1/4 way up the tank, so you will not have have to worry about running out of fuel for the prime mover.
Spec is 1/4 tank above bottom for diesel. I rec diesel unit
mshell56118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #4

diesel seems to be best

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHILL View Post

diesel vs. propane gen

We will be using the unit dry camping riding and racing dirt bikes.
for dry camping and a lot of possible use

diesel seems to be best

but

I don't think diesel burns as clean as propane

I hate the smell of diesel burning !!

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #5

I was told by a FR rep, that with the 3.2kw diesel, you could run the AC, microwave, & probably nothing else. But the propane is a 3.6kw, and should be able to run everything. After hearing this, I went with propane.
Trail blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solera blazer View Post
I was told by a FR rep, that with the 3.2kw diesel, you could run the AC, microwave, & probably nothing else. But the propane is a 3.6kw, and should be able to run everything. After hearing this, I went with propane.
I went with propane for the same reason. Plus my expectation that propane will have less odor.

We almost exclusively dry camp. We could never use the a/c in the TT because I only had a single Honda 2000. It will be interesting to see if we use the a/c now that we can.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #7

I went with the propane call me Mister green if you like but, it is a cleaner burning fuel. Also the Solera has one 9.8 Gallon/38lb propane tank.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #8

I went with the propane also, basically the same reasons! Cheaper initial investment, cleaner burning ( IMO ). Also didn't give myself a choice because I bought the Solera when it hit the dealership. Didn't order the Solera from the factory.
We're able to run everything at the same time also.
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #9

Think I'll go diesel, I work offshore in the oilfield.
CHILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #10

According to web diesel gen uses .4 gal per hour and propane used .7 (both full load)
Since diesel costs me 4.25 per gal and propane 2.50 they are equal cost to run and I also can't stand the smell of diesel fumes
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
According to web diesel gen uses .4 gal per hour and propane used .7 (both full load)
Since diesel costs me 4.25 per gal and propane 2.50 they are equal cost to run and I also can't stand the smell of diesel fumes
I used to own a 45' sports fish boat with twin 660 hp Cummins Diesels. When I cranked it up in the morning to go fishing I would say " I love the smell of diesel in the morning!"

Diesel gensets are very efficient on fuel usage. If you have a diesel motor home, then no brainier. If you are in a TT then you will have to haul diesel or extra propane. Diesel is not as convenient as propane and of you spill any in your tv then you will have to live with smell for some time.. Decisions, decisions....

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #12
Commercial Member

I'll make it an easy decision...Diesel gen is not available at this time. This gen was being built in overseas, for Onan, not "By Onan". They had some electronic issues and decided to change product or plant (not totally sure which). We can't even get diesel gens at this time...not sure when we will get them going forward.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #13

I have a Solera on order. I intended to order the diesel generator but was told that the diesel units are on back order till the summer. I was originally disappointed but after thinking about it, it occurred to me that if we are traveling and running the house AC at the same time it our travel range would be reduced somewhat. I would have wished for a larger fuel tank on the chassis.

Our last MH was a 2011 Georgetown and I really liked the big fuel tank because of the range it gave. I would in fact have preferred to have carried about 50 gal more than the stock 80 gal.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
I have a Solera on order. I intended to order the diesel generator but was told that the diesel units are on back order till the summer. I was originally disappointed but after thinking about it, it occurred to me that if we are traveling and running the house AC at the same time it our travel range would be reduced somewhat. I would have wished for a larger fuel tank on the chassis.

Our last MH was a 2011 Georgetown and I really liked the big fuel tank because of the range it gave. I would in fact have preferred to have carried about 50 gal more than the stock 80 gal.
Why did you downsize so much from a Georgetown to a Solera?
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #15

The Georgetown had bunks and sleeping for 8, which we used often. (we put on over 15,000 miles in less than two years) We will now be traveling with just 5 or 6 people in the unit. Also, my wife never drove the Georgetown (too big) but felt quite comfortable driving a Sprinter chassis motorhome. Many of my friends thought I was doing it for the better fuel economy, but the cost of fuel is not the most expensive part of owning a motorhome.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #16

Propane genset will run out a 20 lb propane tank in 4 hrs. Not very good in my estimation. That is w/2 A/C units running, desert heat. Diesel has 40% more energy/gal than gas, gas is much better than propane, seems like a no brainer but everyone has their own opinions, makes the FRF a better place for info.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Assuming a propane gen uses .7 gallons per hour at full load and you can fill our 12 gallon tank to 80%, then you can run that gen for 13.7 hours. (12 x 0.8 = 9.6/0.7 = 13.7).

There is only one A/C on a Solera and I doubt you would be running at full load the whole time, so 13.7 hours would be the worst case scenario.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #18

that adds up to just one very hot day

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post

you can fill our 12 gallon tank to 80%, then you can run that gen for 13.7 hours.

13.7 hours would be the worst case scenario.
I guess it depends on where one usually camps
we do a lot of camping in the Borrego Desert
sometimes out there one will run their AC
13.7 hours in just one very hot day

out in the desert
hitting over 110 degrees on many summer days
yes
we may call this
the worst case scenario

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #19
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
Propane genset will run out a 20 lb propane tank in 4 hrs. Not very good in my estimation. That is w/2 A/C units running, desert heat. Diesel has 40% more energy/gal than gas, gas is much better than propane, seems like a no brainer but everyone has their own opinions, makes the FRF a better place for info.
A 20 lbs tank holds 4 gallons of propane so it probably lasts about 5 hours+. LBS is not GALLONS
Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #20

I expect to almost never run the a/c from the generator. So for my application the load is pretty much limited to charging the pair of batteries.

I know that 4 days of camping, between stove, fridge and generator I used about 1/4 tank of propane, as measured by both of the on-board indicators.

If I could find solar panels that work well in the shade I would not even need the generator for battery charging.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote