Old 01-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #1

Onan LPG Generator question

I have a 2014 Solera 24R and it has a Onan RG OV 3600 LP generator. It works fine and only has 40 hours of use. On the control panel across from the bathroom it has an hour meter that has a very tiny blinking thing in the upper left corner. What is this blinking thing (looks sort of like an hour glass - see picture)? The picture shows it. Also how often do you change the oil? The manual says to change the oil but no mention of an oil filter. Correct? What oil to use? Manual say 15-40 regular motor oil for temps we will be in. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180115_152813.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	160258   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180115_151548.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	160259   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180115_151523_001.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	160260  

DRZ2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ2021 View Post
I have a 2014 Solera 24R and it has a Onan RG OV 3600 LP generator. It works fine and only has 40 hours of use. On the control panel across from the bathroom it has an hour meter that has a very tiny blinking thing in the upper left corner. What is this blinking thing (looks sort of like an hour glass - see picture)? The picture shows it. Also how often do you change the oil? The manual says to change the oil but no mention of an oil filter. Correct? What oil to use? Manual say 15-40 regular motor oil for temps we will be in. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
I'm gonna guess the blinking thing is an hourglass telling you it's time to change the oil. Just a guess. Manual should tell you. 15W-40 is the weight of the oil. Brand name makes no difference. Your unit may not have a filter. Some don't. If it does it would be very accessible therefor visible. If your manual doesn't mention one the chances are pretty good it does not have one.

cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #3

My manual is the very generic one that covers many models but no mention of an oil filter. Good to know it is obvious. If it has one i will change with the oil. My manual also does not talk about the control panel that is in the RV either. Any idea if there is a way to reset the "hourglass" if indeed it is indicating an oil change is needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I'm gonna guess the blinking thing is an hourglass telling you it's time to change the oil. Just a guess. Manual should tell you. 15W-40 is the weight of the oil. Brand name makes no difference. Your unit may not have a filter. Some don't. If it does it would be very accessible therefor visible. If your manual doesn't mention one the chances are pretty good it does not have one.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:54 PM   #4

Quote:
My manual is the very generic one that covers many models but no mention of an oil filter. Good to know it is obvious. If it has one i will change with the oil. My manual also does not talk about the control panel that is in the RV either. Any idea if there is a way to reset the "hourglass" if indeed it is indicating an oil change is needed?
No idea on the hourglass. My 66-year-old p brain doesn't play nice with modern technology. If it's a touchscreen try touching it.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Does this help. From your model manual.

Fault Codes
The genset controller provides extensive diagnostics by causing the status indicator
light on the Control Switch to blink in a coded fashion. Following a fault shutdown,
the indicator light will repeatedly blink one, two, three or four blinks at a time.
• One blink indicates shutdown due to high engine coolant temperature.
• Two blinks indicates a low oil pressure fault.
• Three blinks indicates a service fault. Press Stop once to cause the
two-digit, second-level fault code to blink. (Pressing Stop again will stop the
blinking.)The two-digit code consists of 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 blinks, a brief pause,
and then 1 to 9 blinks. The first set of blinks represents the tens digit and the
second set of blinks the units digit of the fault code number. For example,
Fault Code No. 36 appears as:
blink-blink-blink—pause—blink-blink-blink-blink-blink-blink— long pause—
repeat
• Four blinks indicates that cranking exceeded 30 seconds without the
engine starting.
Note: Fault Code Nos. 3 and 4 are first level faults. Avoid interpreting them
as second-level Fault Code Nos. 33 and 44, which have not been assigned
as fault codes.
Restoring Fault Code Blinking – The fault code stops blinking after five
minutes (15 minutes, Series HGJAA). Press Stop three times within five seconds to
restore blinking. Note that the last fault logged will blink, even after the
condition that caused the shutdown has been corrected.

Does this help???
Old 01-16-2018, 07:28 AM   #6

This is the telephone number for Cummings: 1-800-CUMMINS (1-800-286-6467). Contact them for information about your model. I didn't see anyplace in the manual where the hourglass was explained. Please tell us what you find out.
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #7

OK Per my conversation with 2 different Cummins tech people I got 2 different answers.... Answer 1 was it is an indicator to change the oil as oil is to be changed every 20 hours. It was blinking before I hit 40 hours so do not think that is correct and I asked him how to reset the light when I change the oil and he did not know so transferred me up the tech support ladder and the next guy said it just is a blinking hour glass showing that the hour meter timer is working. Nothing to worry about and no way to reset it. That most likely is the correct answer. I did find out that the blinking codes referred to in the manual and on the contral panel (see picture) would be the light above the start switch would be doing the blinking NOT the hour meter. If the Genset is working OK the light would be on steady when the Genset is running. Hopefully this is correct info and helps other inquisitive minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharSolera View Post
This is the telephone number for Cummings: 1-800-CUMMINS (1-800-286-6467). Contact them for information about your model. I didn't see anyplace in the manual where the hourglass was explained. Please tell us what you find out.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #8

Write to Cummins Onan at care@cummins.com. You can also go to https://power.cummins.com/contact-us for this link and more information.

Tell them you need an "Operator Manual" for your generator. They will send you a link for a pdf version of the manual.

Tell them the model number. To locate the model number, pull the service cover off the front. There will be a label somewhere on the generator that shows you the model number.

On my unit, the first oil AND filter change is at 20 hours. All changes after that are at 100-150 hours.

Filter is changed every time you change the oil.

You will need an oil filter wrench. Buy your filter, go to any automotive supply house (Autozone etc.) and fit a wrench to the filter you have in your hand.

When you pull the filter, it will make a MESS. Be sure to have something under the filter when removing it to catch the oil you spill.

When adding your new oil, fill the filter with oil and screw it in place. Be sure to wipe a little new oil on the rubber gasket before screwing it in place. Then add oil to the generator. You can put in a dry filter and then add oil, but it takes a long time for the oil to get into the filter this way.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:52 PM   #9

Hourglass blinking

Not sure if you found your answer over time...
The hourglass constantly blinking on this hour meter just means it is working. No secret code or blinks.
It is a Non-Resettable meter. Lithium battery and good for about 20+years.
This brand of hour meter is used a lot in different industries. In aviation you see allot of Hobbs used.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #10

Manuals

Here are a couple manuals that might help you out. Parts manual http://trekdocs.com/Onan%204000%20Parts%20first43.pdf Operator manual https://www.norwall.com/product_pdfs...__opm_2015.pdf Manuals can be worth their weight in gold when you need them. Hope this helps out. Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator