Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #1

Our first impressions with 2015 24R

Since I’ve gained so much from the corporate knowledge of this wonderful forum I want to share my first impressions of picking up our 2015 24R Solera this December,which took about a 3000 miles route to drive home without snow/ice.

My first experience was getting out of Des Moines in busy traffic using the GPS. That was not fun! I did not realize that any touch on the screen takes the map off-line so right away I was hearing instructions but not seeing a moving map display. Not a good feeling. If for example you touch the screen while changing the volume, you must press back in order to put the map back into motion. Then there was the reflective glare - which renders the screen totally useless. You cannot see anything but the background reflections. Polarized sunglasses were of no help either. I later put some anti-glare film on the screen and it helped somewhat - but this really needs anti-reflective film - which I can order but could not find in stores. The other problem with the GPS is that many times it will tell you to take Exit 129 but then there is no Exit 129 but a 129A and 129B.

I was equally frustrated with the glare on the rearview monitor. We immediately drove on I-35 South, which means sun in your face (note the windshield is not tinted) and you see nothing but background reflection when trying to use the rearview monitor as a rearview mirror. I am very use to driving MH’s using the side mirrors but the Solera side mirrors are the OEM mirrors for a van and do not stick out far enough to really do this for the wider motorhome. The right mirror only sees the lane to your right and while the left mirror can see behind the MH, there was still about 4-5 car lengths of blind spot directly behind you. The mirrors really should be extended. I later put the same antiglare film on the monitor, which helped a little but this really needs anti-reflection film. I’m also not too impressed with the nighttime performance of the rearview monitor, its just shows bright noise. Also, if its raining the camera quickly becomes coated with a muddy film rendering it useless.

I’m very impressed with the power of the 3.0 liter diesel. On day 2 we were towing our 2015 Subaru Forester with no problem at all. On a side note I purchased the Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain tow bar and used the Invisi-Brake and highly recommend that system. It only takes a couple of minutes to hook or unhook the car. Super easy!

Gas milage ranged from 10-13 mpg depending on winds, terrain and speed. It seems like the sweet spot for towing was around 2400 rpm at almost 60mph. When I stayed between 57-61 the mpg was usually over 13 mpg.

Half of our trip had significant crosswinds and that was not fun. Much more sway than expected so my first upgrade (beside anti-reflection film) will be to install a rear sway bar. I know this is a well known complaint so I am baffled why FOREST RIVER DOES NOT MAKE THIS AN OPTION!?

The rear bed is sweet! Love the setup and its comfort. To eliminate the rocking, especially at windy camps, I would put a jack on one of the corners on the back bumper and that made a marked improvement.

We opted for the microwave/convection oven as the 2 extra drawers below the stove are really needed to complete the kitchen. Was very impressed with the TV reception that is available over the air - glad we took that option but I really wish there is an option (still exploring) on getting the TV to play through the MH sound system - like it does when playing a DVD.

For us the dinette was okay - but not great. The problem being that the seats were too squishy soft and the backs were not high enough. So it was hard to get comfortable. Love the USB chargers over the dinette and the fact that we could charge our iPhones without 110V.

The swivel car seats make a great seating option. However, I wished there were lights for reading as the normal cabin lights puts you in shadows.

At around 3400 miles on the odometer the check DEF warning came on. The manual said the DEF was likely contaminated and we must take the vehicle to a dealer to have the system flushed - and BTW you only have 16 more times to start the engine before it shuts down for good! I added 1/2 gal of DEF but the light stayed on. Luckily we were only 2 engine starts away from arriving home so once home I called our Mercedes dealer to arrange a shop visit only to be told they do not service Sprinters and the closest dealer was 2 hours away! However, I did add another 1/2 gal of DEF and the warning light went away. But you only are suppose to add DEF after 10-15,000 miles! Therefore I do not know if the reservoir tank was just not full coming from factory (not what I would expect from Mercedes) or if I have an abnormal burn?

Also on the 2nd day back at home the CO monitor started sounding the alarm. Although nothing was running on propane I shut the tank valve off, ran the ceiling fan for a while and it stopped - but next day is still chirping off/on so I’m guessing like others that the MH batteries are venting gas inside the cabin and are setting off to CO monitor.

Overall I’m pleased with the 24R and would purchase it again. However, as always, there is room for improvements.

Dave
DCBnDLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
Commercial Member

First off, welcome and thank you for the review. It's always nice to get feedback...good and bad. Below I will try and address a few of your questions.

Q. (Helwig Sway Bar) Why FOREST RIVER DOES NOT MAKE THIS AN OPTION!?
A. I have discussed that on this site before. We have asked Mercedes repeatedly and they have not responded. To even get approved to modify their chassis, we have to do things how they say and that means no messing around with their suspension parts. See post #91 http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-42197-10.html

Having said that, we are tired of waiting and I ordered one to proto. (Some lucky owner will get one and probably never know). It is installed and we're testing this week.

Q. but I really wish there is an option (still exploring) on getting the TV to play through the MH sound system - like it does when playing a DVD.
A. I have posted this and tagged this...its just hard to find no matter what. So I will post wherever I can now.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...und-71568.html

For us the dinette was okay - but not great. I agree, what makes a good dinette does not make a great bed and what makes a great bed does not make a great dinette. Still a work in progress.

The swivel car seats make a great seating option. However, I wished there were lights for reading as the normal cabin lights puts you in shadows.
Duly noted

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #3

Just one comment and one suggestion. About the sway bar, if you read the posts on that, FR is NOT allowed per MB to modify the chassis, therefore, your ONLY option is to have the after market sway bar installed after purchase.

I suggest you fill the DEF reservoir this way, since to my knowledge, MB does not indicate how much is added at the factory. Using a funnel, pour DEF slowly into the fill whole listening closely to the change in the sound. You will be able to "hear" it change tone as it nears the top. I believe the under the hood tank hold about 3 gallons +/-, but am not positive.

Two things to remember; DEF is corrosive, so avoid any overfill outside the tank, and two, note mileage at every DEF fill, so you can dial in the usage rates. My expierence has been that when the DEF indicator lights, you need to cycle the engine start sequence a couple times, to allow the sensor in the DEF tank (after fill) to link up the two computers, the main MB engine computer and the emmisions computer. I have been successful using that method, and have kept the reservoir near topped off, thus not triggering the DEF indicator. There is a lot going on now, because of the new emmision since '10. Hope that helps you out.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:15 PM   #4

I believe the 10 to 15K for servicing the DEF tank in the MB manual is referring to the 6 gal tank that we don't have in the RV. Our tank is 3.1 gals or so. I fill my tank before I start a trip and again every 2000 miles, just to be safe.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #5

bclemens - thank you for your input and helpful links. TV is now playing through sound system! Its good to know the why on the rear sway bar and MB. Greatly appreciated.

Still Kickin and Mikegjax - Thanks! You were more helpful than the local MB dealer!
DCBnDLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:32 AM   #6

One other item to be aware of about the DEF system is that a standard 2.5 gallon jug of DEF will not fit in the reservoir when the low level alarm comes in. Mine only took about 2.2 gallons to fill. I use Still Kickin's funnel and sound method to fill mine now.

2013 24R
Eric99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

What DEF do you use? Is there any compatibility issue? Someone on Amazon states Valvoline 729566 DEF is not compatible with Mercedes MB320 Bluetech.
What about this one? BlueDEF DEF002
HomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:21 PM   #8

I use what is sold at oreilly's
At some of the truck stops, there are pumps along side of the diesel pumps that dispense it
I was never told to buy specific def unlike the oil, which mercedes is very specific on

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:37 PM   #9
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandiegodoug View Post
I use what is sold at oreilly's
At some of the truck stops, there are pumps along side of the diesel pumps that dispense it
I was never told to buy specific def unlike the oil, which mercedes is very specific on

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Thanks Doug. O'reilly's is the same as Amazon's BlueDEF and is only a dollar more, so I'll get it here to support local business.
HomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:54 PM   #10

I buy mine at Walmart. Blue DEF. I have added 2.5 gal to my system and have yet to see the DEF light. I also use Stillkickin's gurgle system, but use the spout that comes with the DEF rather than a funnel. Nothing wrong with either way.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:27 AM   #11

Thanks for this thoughtful and interesting post. We could have written a similar response after our maiden voyage!

I will look into the anti-reflective film, as we experienced the glare issue with both monitors, as well.
We talked with our dealer on several occasions about installing a sway bar, and it was obvious they are not interested. Seems they haven't installed one on a Sprinter chassis yet, so they danced around the subject. It will be interesting to hear about the one being installed as a prototype on the unit Mr. Clemons mentioned..
We bought side-mirror extenders, but haven't used them yet. Out of all the issues, to date, this is the one my husband is most unhappy about. He has even wondered if it could be a recall issue??
Our list of new purchases includes stabilizer jacks for when we are camped.
Mr. Clemons told me how to use the surround sound....thanks, again!

Happy to know you are mostly satisfied, as we are. We love ours.... There is a lot of comfort and fun packed into 24 feet, and we can't wait to use it again.....soon!
Congratulations on your purchase!
Be safe, and keeping those post coming, everyone!

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
FIVE2MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:50 AM   #12

FIVE2MH, here is a link to the thread concerning the sway bar.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-42197-24.html

Many have installed it themselves. I would also think you could have any service shop, not necessarily a dealer install it for you. Buy it online and have someone install the bar for you.

I am going to get one and install myself, but I have not been in a hurry as I don't find the handling to be a problem so far and was waiting for the chassis warranty to expire.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
FIVE2MH, here is a link to the thread concerning the sway bar.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-42197-24.html

Many have installed it themselves. I would also think you could have any service shop, not necessarily a dealer install it for you. Buy it online and have someone install the bar for you.

I am going to get one and install myself, but I have not been in a hurry as I don't find the handling to be a problem so far and was waiting for the chassis warranty to expire.
Thank you, Mikegjax, for your input. My husband is of the same opinion as you with regard to handling issue. However, folks on the forum who have installed a sway bar seem to be singing its praises, so we are thinking about it.
I am curious as to how you feel about the side mirrors. We purchased a clip-on tow mirror but haven't tried it yet. To date, I have not seen any feedback on folks who have used one.

Have a great day!

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
Old 01-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #14

FIVE2MH, If you were to measure the mirror length between the two mirrors you would see that the passenger side mirror is approx. 1 inch shorter than the driver side.

If the RH side was the same length, the mirror would be out far enough that the bar separating the small fixed window and main window would rest right in the middle of view.

I adjust the small convex mirrors for the best safe view down the side blind spots. The large mirrors adjust as good as I can.

I use the combination of mirrors and backup camera for lane changes and backing.

I believe the clip on mirror will be of little use on the passenger side.

One of my next mods will be to add the side view cameras myself. You can get the cameras for approx. $100.00 each and the control box is already installed. I feel this system is not really required but would be a nice add on.

Remember, this is just me and others may have differing opinions.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:24 AM   #15

I've installed the clip on mirror on the passenger side of my (now wider) 2015. While it doesn't solve all the problems, it's certainly a great improvement.

Dave
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #16

My 2014 is the same width as the 15. I would not mind trying a clip on on the driver side myself. DaveJordan where did you get yours and how well does it fit?
Old 01-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #17

I got mine at Camping World. Though I'm not absolutely sure, I believe this is the model:

XLR Ratchet Clip On Tow Mirror - Prime Products 30-0086 - Mirrors - Camping World

The main thing to consider is the height of the existing mirror - this thing has to clip to the top and bottom of the mirror housing and the MB mirrors are quite tall. That being said, I did get it on, though there was a time I thought the brackets weren't going to be tall enough. It wasn't as easy as I'd hoped.

Anyway, now that it's on, it does seem to stay in place. Well, until it doesn't and then goes bouncing down the interstate...

Dave
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:32 PM   #18
Commercial Member

FIVE2MH, plant said the install took about 15 minutes tops. He said "you know we had to take a sway bar OFF to put that one on right?". Yes, I am aware.

I have our test drivers slated to take it out and get some feedback. Once I find a free day (show season will be the death of me) I plan on taking it out as well.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:36 PM   #19

Dave, maybe I will await your bounce report .
Old 01-16-2015, 08:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
FIVE2MH, If you were to measure the mirror length between the two mirrors you would see that the passenger side mirror is approx. 1 inch shorter than the driver side.

If the RH side was the same length, the mirror would be out far enough that the bar separating the small fixed window and main window would rest right in the middle of view.

I adjust the small convex mirrors for the best safe view down the side blind spots. The large mirrors adjust as good as I can.

I use the combination of mirrors and backup camera for lane changes and backing.

I believe the clip on mirror will be of little use on the passenger side.

One of my next mods will be to add the side view cameras myself. You can get the cameras for approx. $100.00 each and the control box is already installed. I feel this system is not really required but would be a nice add on.

Remember, this is just me and others may have differing opinions.
Thank you! My husband hasn't been in much of a hurry to attach the mirror for some reason. He feels between the back-up camera and a careful mirror adjustment, it's not too bad. Agree, side-view cameras would be the best solution. Hmmmm....

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad